Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 7:25 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
harperrider wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Gotcha ...Ebike squishy with a hardtail sounds like a solid plan

If they can get those ebikes to that sub 40lb mark and in the $5000-6000 price, I’d be dropping my money on the counter.
If it means I could rock a 40km ride in the time it would take to do a 25km rip, why wouldn’t you?

This^
Weight and price have to go down.

You guys could probably do the same thing with steroids and at this point in life by the time the side effects get to us we will probably be to old and sore to care.

I'm not really against the ebikes but I'm not sure why you would use them for x country or enduro. They seem like they would be good for being able to do the dh trails you love without getting all your buddies involved. For example Noble is a road up and single track down.

If its an access thing I also dont think that the world should be open to people those that dont earn it. Myself included. I will never be on top of Everest and if they develop an exoskeleton that would make it attainable I think that would devalue the climb. I might do it but it wouldn't make me a mountain climber any more that being in a plane makes me a bird.

Yes I have heard the 'what about disabilities' argument. Sure why not. If you are disabled and it opens your world I will donate towards the cause.

But to each there own. If you want one and got the money go for it. At this point in my life I will get an adventure bike instead and bop down some old dirt road looking for a hole to fish in or a creek to pan.I would love to see those electric to tell the truth.

But I dont get the hype with the electric bikes and I also dont get why they are pushing it so hard on the MTB community. It seems like the wrong crowd or it seem like it should be the wrong crowd. Why we are not demanding that the regular bike prices get to somewhere reasonable?

How I imagine the conversation would go

ME: I climbed that in 12 minutes
Bro: Wow man. That 20 seconds quicker than me. Dude I have been climbing that twice a week trying to get my time down but I cant seem to crack that 12 minute mark. What are you doing?
ME: ebike
Bro: Seriously? A dirt bike?
Me: no its pedal assist. a type 2 . there is no throttle
Bro: Whatever man. way to wreck the trails
ME: no. its not like that it just makes it easier to get up the climbs and cuts my times down....

https://dirtmountainbike.com/features/worried-ebike-batteries.html

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 7:53 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
harperrider wrote:

If they can get those ebikes to that sub 40lb mark and in the $5000-6000 price, I’d be dropping my money on the counter.
If it means I could rock a 40km ride in the time it would take to do a 25km rip, why wouldn’t you?

This^

You guys could probably do the same thing with steroids and at this point in life by the time the side effects get to us we will probably be to old and sore to care.

I'm not really against the ebikes but I'm not sure why you would use them for x country or enduro. They seem like they would be good for being able to do the dh trails you love without getting all your buddies involved. For example Noble is a road up and single track down.

If its an access thing I also dont think that the world should be open to people those that dont earn it. Myself included. I will never be on top of Everest and if they develop an exoskeleton that would make it attainable I think that would devalue the climb. I might do it but it wouldn't make me a mountain climber any more that being in a plane makes me a bird.

Yes I have heard the 'what about disabilities' argument. Sure why not. If you are disabled and it opens you world I will donate towards the cause.

But to each there own. If you want one and got the money go for it. At this point in my life I will get an adventure bike instead and bop down some old dirt road looking for a hole to fish in or a creek to pan.I would love to see those electric to tell the truth.

But I dont get the hype with the electric bikes and I also dont get why they are pushing it so hard on the MTB community. It seems like the wrong crowd or it seem like it should be the wrong crowd. Why we are not demanding that the regular bike prices get to somewhere reasonable?

I would rather not see the E bike thing happen ,part of the whole deal for trail riding is making it happen on your own ability ,I am sure everyone say earn your turns in these discussions . That being said ,if I could ride lift access at will I probably would do it every ride as technical downhill and bike park is my favorite pastime . .I also have a trailbike and do my fair share of earn your turn trail riding .When my body doesn't allow me to earn my turns and and ebike allows to ride I am sure I would have a different view on the matter. But for now , when I see an Ebike rider on a trail that I just burned 1000 plus calories for my 2 miles of DH bliss the first thought is negative to say the least

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 8:15 Quote
E-bike requirements... 170mm/170mm 29er, 40lbs or less at $5000-ish CAD. Basically more travel and less weight/dollars than what’s offered up now. Then you may get my attention. Like VJ said I don’t need one to trail ride. I want it to take the shuttle truck logistics and hammering out of the equation.

Stop offering heavy low travel E-bikes for trail riding North American MTB man. Give me big ass travel and less weight E-bikes for shuttle areas.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 8:25 Quote
If you don't know why the ebike thing is happening go and ride one for an afternoon, then you'll know what we're talking about.

It's fun, like riding DH for 20km.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 8:26 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
E-bike requirements... 170mm/170mm 29er, 40lbs or less at $5000-ish CAD. Basically more travel and less weight/dollars than what’s offered up now. Then you may get my attention. Like VJ said I don’t need one to trail ride. I want it to take the shuttle truck logistics and hammering out of the equation.

Stop offering heavy low travel E-bikes for trail riding North American MTB man. Give me big ass travel and less weight E-bikes for shuttle areas.
Giant trance ebike is $5800 retail, not sure on weight but it is close to 40lbs.

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 8:37 Quote
d-man wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:

Giant trance ebike is $5800 retail, not sure on weight but it is close to 40lbs.

Trance is trail bike travel. Wake me up when it’s a Reign X travel 29er. Lol
Again, I don’t need a E-Trail bike. I want an E-Freeride/Shuttle bike. Like the Specialized Kenevo but 10lbs lighter and $2000 CAD less.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 8:39 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
harperrider wrote:

This^

Yes I have heard the 'what about disabilities' argument. Sure why not. If you are disabled and it opens your world I will donate towards the cause.

Bro: Wow man. That 20 seconds quicker than me. Dude I have been climbing that twice a week trying to get my time down but I cant seem to crack that 12 minute mark. What are you doing?
ME: no. its not like that it just makes it easier to get up the climbs and cuts my times down....

I'm the same here the reason I ride up is mostly for the fitness I could shuttle 50% of the trails I ride but I choose to ride to the top.

But if that's your deal have at it

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 8:43 Quote
A cool ebike story... they are technically not allowed on our trails... a guy I recently met and hes a great guy, broke his back in a bad crash... doctors didn’t give him much chance to ride let alone walk again. Dudes a stud, fought back, got a walker, then a cane... started on a very upright position comfort bike and began making his way around his hood. He just recently got an ebike and with his good friends help loading onto rack and such he is back out on the trails getting stronger. This is all within a years time. I’ve been pretty inspired by him and honestly think its fantastic he has been able to accomplish what he has.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 10:04 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
A cool ebike story... they are technically not allowed on our trails... a guy I recently met and hes a great guy, broke his back in a bad crash... doctors didn’t give him much chance to ride let alone walk again. Dudes a stud, fought back, got a walker, then a cane... started on a very upright position comfort bike and began making his way around his hood. He just recently got an ebike and with his good friends help loading onto rack and such he is back out on the trails getting stronger. This is all within a years time. I’ve been pretty inspired by him and honestly think its fantastic he has been able to accomplish what he has.

See I have some issues with ebikes and people that have injuries. I think they are great to get the person out and having fun and all but what happens if there is a breakdown along the way are they stranded and need search and rescue to come out etc....

It sounds like your buddy heads out with friends so he has that taken care of though

Posted: May 16, 2019 at 10:07 Quote
I agree typically but yes, he is highly aware of the potential complications. And he is definitely surrounded by bros that are there to help him gt back out in the wilderness.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 10:29 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

See I have some issues with ebikes and people that have injuries. I think they are great to get the person out and having fun and all but what happens if there is a breakdown along the way are they stranded and need search and rescue to come out etc....

It sounds like your buddy heads out with friends so he has that taken care of though
Break downs happen on regular bikes too. Take tools, phone same protocol as solo riding.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 10:36 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
d-man wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:

Trance is trail bike travel. Wake me up when it’s a Reign X travel 29er. Lol
Again, I don’t need a E-Trail bike. I want an E-Freeride/Shuttle bike. Like the Specialized Kenevo but 10lbs lighter and $2000 CAD less.
It is coming, Norco is releasing a range e at a good price point I hear.
I don't feel the need for 180 mm travel anymore for the majority of my riding. Was riding Pano last night on the Ripmo was Loving the chunder. Maybe going to add a volume spacer to the rear shock to help with big hits. Otherwise it did not hold me back.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2019 at 10:39 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
vernonjeff wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:

This^

I'm the same here the reason I ride up is mostly for the fitness I could shuttle 50% of the trails I ride but I choose to ride to the top.

But if that's your deal have at it
Ebikes do not take all the effort out of riding, just reduces the star seeing, red zone heart rate moments.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.061271
Mobile Version of Website