Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Author Message
Posted: Jun 12, 2019 at 15:44 Quote
Tactical lumber satchel applicator


...as seen in action...about 2:25


Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 15:43 Quote
Rode a specialized Kenevo last night, did a half Lap at Swansea. The climb usually takes me about 18mins, last night 9mins and Holy shit balls it was fun. Descending was ok, the fork was in need of service and wasn't up to the task but the ohlins coil in the rear was great.

It has some neat features but not what I'm looking for, to porky and didn't feel like a true bicycle.

Rocky Mountain is still top of my list, hopefully get to demo a Norco e- sight. The engineers say they designed it to ride like a bicycle.

Funny there is so much online smack talk about e bikes but last night there was people(all very experienced riders) lined up to try them. Maybe this area is just more accepting???

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 16:25 Quote
Solid feedback right there D-man.
This is exactly what I'd like to see...if I don't make the full changeover to Moto before then...is a DH or Trail bike that cuts the zip up the service road in at least half...and the downhill doesn't suck(cuz heavy bike or whathaveyou)...there's a nice loop here I like that is 45min up a road for a nice 7min down....20up for 7down? Eff yeah! All day....well, 2-3 laps instead of one lets say.
Lots of riding here that is accessed via FSR.

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 18:02 Quote
I was thinking of going to try a Devinci AC last night at a Demo day but ended up working too late and couldn’t go. No shuttle bike test for me. Frown

Definitely depends on the area. Three of our main riding areas Ellison, Kal Park and Sovereign are in provincial parks so the E-bike thing is not on fire here. People are still being cautious about allowed in provincial parks or not, motorized or not.

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 18:11 Quote
It's funny how e bikes are weighing in where all our downhill rigs were 5-10 years ago and that weight is the biggest complaint on them, funny how tech progress reframes what we deem acceptable. I'd very much like to try some of the new crop of e bikes on earn your turn trails, been a little while since I rode one.

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 19:25 Quote
I think its (for what I noticed) not so much the weight, as where it was, and or how it reacted. After being on uber nimble bikes the last few years, they just feel like boggy, hard to maneuver and under suspended. Those battery packs on the DT are pretty big. I tried to pop the front end up over a small downed sapling and it was pretty hard, compared to a non e bike...

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 19:44 Quote
hahaha...was looking for a 'small downed sapling' funny...found this



If I was gonna guess....I'd say that an eBike with DH suspension&settings and under 50lbs...should be able to feel pretty good. Trail bikes don't have enough travel to set up for the weight ???

Posted: Jun 13, 2019 at 22:50 Quote
I think that's the main issue right now... 50lb DH is ok, 50lb all mountain feels clunky as hell and overwhelms suspension.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 7:15 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I think its (for what I noticed) not so much the weight, as where it was, and or how it reacted. After being on uber nimble bikes the last few years, they just feel like boggy, hard to maneuver and under suspended. Those battery packs on the DT are pretty big. I tried to pop the front end up over a small downed sapling and it was pretty hard, compared to a non e bike...
Exactly, you do need to ride them differently. Need to use the power to lift front end cause they are front heavy.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 7:37 Quote
d-man wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I think its (for what I noticed) not so much the weight, as where it was, and or how it reacted. After being on uber nimble bikes the last few years, they just feel like boggy, hard to maneuver and under suspended. Those battery packs on the DT are pretty big. I tried to pop the front end up over a small downed sapling and it was pretty hard, compared to a non e bike...
Exactly, you do need to ride them differently. Need to use the power to lift front end cause they are front heavy.

But did you try to peddle into a manual Eek that power band kicked in on me after the hesitation and I about freaked out lol

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 10:33 Quote
Behind the Numbers series on the front page is neat... but reminds me of the way people talk about the way they grind and tamp their espresso, and the lever pull to get just the right extraction.

I doubt many of us notice whether our bikes have complete rubbish numbers or numbers that the industry accepts... I don’t know crap about espresso or bikes... but I know when i want to spit out my coffee and I know when a bike just feels goofy.

Marin should be handing out those bizarre bikes like day old donuts to their good folks like Crisco! If all the cool kids are on one the sheep will follow and it’ll be the new sought after espresso bean with the unique taste that compliments its snooty price tag.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 10:36 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
Behind the Numbers series on the front page is neat... but reminds me of the way people talk about the way they grind and tamp their espresso, and the lever pull to get just the right extraction.

I doubt many of us notice whether our bikes have complete rubbish numbers or numbers that the industry accepts... I don’t know crap about espresso or bikes... but I know when i want to spit out my coffee and I know when a bike just feels goofy.

Marin should be handing out those bizarre bikes like day old donuts to their good folks like Crisco! If all the cool kids are on one the sheep will follow and it’ll be the new sought after espresso bean with the unique taste that compliments its snooty price tag.

I’m a fairly picky guy and appreciate the incredible amount of details.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 10:50 Quote
I'm not at all picky about numbers. It's got to feel good.

Rootdown is season two. Business partner has Samurai which is 6 or 7 now. All employees got new rides this year.

One is warranty ing the frame right now because the bearings are all loose in the carbon. One has just bought a tube of bulk bearings for his I9 hubs because the bearings last a whole week.

It's got to feel good, be reliable, be well maintained. And I only want to spend time riding it. Not working on it.

I appreciate the nerding, but my brain is full of other stuff ATM.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 11:12 Quote
leverfingers wrote:
I'm not at all picky about numbers. It's got to feel good.

Rootdown is season two. Business partner has Samurai which is 6 or 7 now. All employees got new rides this year.

One is warranty ing the frame right now because the bearings are all loose in the carbon. One has just bought a tube of bulk bearings for his I9 hubs because the bearings last a whole week.

It's got to feel good, be reliable, be well maintained. And I only want to spend time riding it. Not working on it.

I appreciate the nerding, but my brain is full of other stuff ATM.

I9 Hydras? I havent heard too much feedback on them. Too bad the bearings are disposable. I'm thinking about a set of wheels for my 40th birthday gift to me for next summer and some King hubs seem like the reasonable choice. I9 was a little further out on the radar.

I have never in my life seen a King anything go in the trash.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 11:17 Quote
husstler wrote:
mtnmanjake wrote:
Behind the Numbers series on the front page is neat... but reminds me of the way people talk about the way they grind and tamp their espresso, and the lever pull to get just the right extraction.

I doubt many of us notice whether our bikes have complete rubbish numbers or numbers that the industry accepts... I don’t know crap about espresso or bikes... but I know when i want to spit out my coffee and I know when a bike just feels goofy.

Marin should be handing out those bizarre bikes like day old donuts to their good folks like Crisco! If all the cool kids are on one the sheep will follow and it’ll be the new sought after espresso bean with the unique taste that compliments its snooty price tag.

I’m a fairly picky guy and appreciate the incredible amount of details.

I know all the numbers and weights of every bike I own. The devil is in the details... plus OCD.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.037421
Mobile Version of Website