Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 18:42 Quote
That's steep, but the going rate.

Relax into it.

Seriously though, buy a bunch of tires when they go on sale. And I can show you how to do a fork service, I don't think you live that far away. Damper oil changes can be tricky but a lower leg service takes longer to explain than do.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 18:50 Quote
husstler wrote:
That's steep, but the going rate.

Relax into it.

Seriously though, buy a bunch of tires when they go on sale. And I can show you how to do a fork service, I don't think you live that far away. Damper oil changes can be tricky but a lower leg service takes longer to explain than do.

I'll take ya up on that some day Salute

I do have a fella that does all my stuff for next to nothing... had I not earned a bunch of credit with this particular shop I probably wouldn't have ever ended up there, but travelling a lot and now being nomadic we have wound up paying full pop for things more often. Being able to look after ourselves more would make a ton of sense.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 18:55 Quote
This:
- Read Factory manual and print it out or download pdf onto device of choice
- watch factory service videos
- watch other videos of service of your fork/shock
- buy all needed tools and kits to make service run smooth
- make a reference sheet, I literally make an excel spreadsheet with my settings and the factory recommended oil amounts
- line all tools and parts out like a anal retentive bastard on a sheet of paper
- turn on rad music, crack a beer, smoke a bowl
- slowly do the deed. If you get stuck send a message to one of us bastards.
I have experience with both Fox and RockShox forks and basic air can stuff on both, I’m happy to provide guidance if you need it.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 19:07 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
This:
- Read Factory manual and print it out or download pdf onto device of choice
- watch factory service videos
- watch other videos of service of your fork/shock
- buy all needed tools and kits to make service run smooth
- make a reference sheet, I literally make an excel spreadsheet with my settings and the factory recommended oil amounts
- line all tools and parts out like a anal retentive bastard on a sheet of paper
- turn on rad music, crack a beer, smoke a bowl
- slowly do the deed. If you get stuck send a message to one of us bastards.
I have experience with both Fox and RockShox forks and basic air can stuff on both, I’m happy to provide guidance if you need it.

#grassyass Chef!

having a go to has definitely made us dependent... give a man a fish lol

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 19:13 Quote
What cassette? That could be almost half the cost right there depending on which one.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 19:15 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
What cassette? That could be almost half the cost right there depending on which one.

Eagle GX... not cheap, but not the blingsixhundreddollarthing

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 19:41 Quote
The only work I don’t do is rear shock service.

Everything else is pretty easy to handle.

Brake pads I bought my last ones from chain reaction 4xsets $60 or discobrakes.com. They where $80 a set at the lbs.

Tires I keep an eye on and get them for a reasonable price online.

Also running slx and sunrace because they work well and cheap.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 20:08 Quote
Rear shocks are pretty easy to do as well... you just need to remember, and I really can't stress this enough, deflate the air spring before you stay.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 20:21 Quote
I could have built a bike for that Eek

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 20:24 Quote
The air can on my Float X2 is more involved. I would need shaft clamps. I add shock fluid in to keep it friction free though.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 20:25 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:

Hey... aren't you losing like $9000 on every shirt you sell lol lol lol

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 20:33 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

Hey... aren't you losing like $9000 on every shirt you sell lol lol lol

Yes but thats besides the point lol

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 22:55 Quote
My hubs will go 10 years with no maintenance or issues. My headset will go 5 years. BB every two years. It's a HT, so no frame bearings. It will take a lowers service on the fork about 3 times a year, and a full redo about 2 times every 3 years. 3 sets of tires per year, a saddle every year. Two pairs of grips per year. 3 or 4 sets of brake pads a year. This is riding every day before work and every weekend day from when skiing stops in may or june to when it starts in november. And a couple of rides in exotic locales in the off season.

I built the bike myself from the parts. Total purchase price $2,050.- canpesos.

I can buy a somewhat reliable old honda civic or toyota corolla for $800. No way I'd pay that sort of scratch for bike maintenance.

So, obviously, I'm old and crusty and will soon be priced out of riding bicycles. It's a shame. But when it comes time to pay $4,000 or $5,000 for a new bike, I will instead get a motorcycle or a boat or car or truck or quad. All of which would be cheaper. The bike industry needs to get it's head out of it's ass.

As a manufacturer of bike parts, I don't see the kind of money that the customer is paying. My stuff retails for about 4 times the price that I sell it for. I make 5 to 10 percent on those parts. I make it for 9 bucks, sell it for 10, and its 40 to 50 at retail. When it's car parts, camera parts, boat parts or anything but bikes it's different. I make it for 9 bucks, sell it for 15, and it's about 30 at retail.

Blows my mind up.

Posted: Jun 14, 2019 at 23:17 Quote
why are you paying anything for anything lever... do I need to send a letter to someone to let them know who you are

surely someone owes you a bike no?!?!

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 0:15 Quote
Did you say $880 for a shock service? Dafuk. What are you running?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025691
Mobile Version of Website