Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 0:16 Quote
leverfingers wrote:
My hubs will go 10 years with no maintenance or issues. My headset will go 5 years. BB every two years. It's a HT, so no frame bearings. It will take a lowers service on the fork about 3 times a year, and a full redo about 2 times every 3 years. 3 sets of tires per year, a saddle every year. Two pairs of grips per year. 3 or 4 sets of brake pads a year. This is riding every day before work and every weekend day from when skiing stops in may or june to when it starts in november. And a couple of rides in exotic locales in the off season.

I built the bike myself from the parts. Total purchase price $2,050.- canpesos.

I can buy a somewhat reliable old honda civic or toyota corolla for $800. No way I'd pay that sort of scratch for bike maintenance.

So, obviously, I'm old and crusty and will soon be priced out of riding bicycles. It's a shame. But when it comes time to pay $4,000 or $5,000 for a new bike, I will instead get a motorcycle or a boat or car or truck or quad. All of which would be cheaper. The bike industry needs to get it's head out of it's ass.

As a manufacturer of bike parts, I don't see the kind of money that the customer is paying. My stuff retails for about 4 times the price that I sell it for. I make 5 to 10 percent on those parts. I make it for 9 bucks, sell it for 10, and its 40 to 50 at retail. When it's car parts, camera parts, boat parts or anything but bikes it's different. I make it for 9 bucks, sell it for 15, and it's about 30 at retail.

Blows my mind up.

Hell... im putting my used bike up for sale for 4k

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 6:33 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
This:
- Read Factory manual and print it out or download pdf onto device of choice
- watch factory service videos
- watch other videos of service of your fork/shock
- buy all needed tools and kits to make service run smooth
- make a reference sheet, I literally make an excel spreadsheet with my settings and the factory recommended oil amounts
- line all tools and parts out like a anal retentive bastard on a sheet of paper
- turn on rad music, crack a beer, smoke a bowl
- slowly do the deed. If you get stuck send a message to one of us bastards.
I have experience with both Fox and RockShox forks and basic air can stuff on both, I’m happy to provide guidance if you need it.

I like the way you roll in the shop!

I hear ya Jake, I've decided that I'm not replacing parts on the Ripmo(unless I break). Going to ride it this year and sell it off. Rather spend the parts money on the difference to a new ride. Same as used sleds, they have nickle and dimed me to death and still never reliable. Bought brand new sled on a blow out end of season sale this year, ride it until year 3 of 4 year warranty and then unload it.

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 8:16 Quote
I always go fame and build to my spec. Never a want to change bitz cuz it’s all been picked by me already. Only parts swapped out when something breaks, which is rare. Bikes stay in my stable 2-3 years max and then up for sale. Fresh frame, fresh build and latest “standard”.
New frame didn’t show up this week, hopefully early next week. Park opens on the 21st. Cutting it close. Don’t really want to ride it on the 130/115mm trail bike. Lol

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 12:08 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
Behind the Numbers series on the front page is neat... but reminds me of the way people talk about the way they grind and tamp their espresso, and the lever pull to get just the right extraction.

I doubt many of us notice whether our bikes have complete rubbish numbers or numbers that the industry accepts... I don’t know crap about espresso or bikes... but I know when i want to spit out my coffee and I know when a bike just feels goofy.

Marin should be handing out those bizarre bikes like day old donuts to their good folks like Crisco! If all the cool kids are on one the sheep will follow and it’ll be the new sought after espresso bean with the unique taste that compliments its snooty price tag.

I like Marin and other companies are thinking outside the box but that sure seems to come with a premium. I havent spent any time on the new marin platform. Right now they have really quality bikes at a good price and then these high end bikes. I have no doubt they are sic but I am,super stoked on the Alpine Trail I am rocking this season.

I am spoiled so I never have a bike more than a season.

880 for service? I hope this shop spoke to you about this before they dropped that bill on you. New gx complete drive train is like $550? Sounds like the shop got a bit carried away on this one.

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 12:50 Quote
Ya crisco... wife has been on trek for the past five years and I earned mine for 2018...

Then I earned a bunch of credit for a shop be doing some photography for them hence trying out their service guys. Super nice super friendly but ya they went hog wild on fixing things without calling emailing or texting to ask if I actually wanted the work done. Maybe it was intentional to negate the credit I had earned... I dunno but I won’t be a patreon in the future.

We’ve got a wrench that is absolutely over the top kind to us and I have no idea why. But he’s awesome!!!

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 12:55 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
Ya crisco... wife has been on trek for the past five years and I earned mine for 2018...

Then I earned a bunch of credit for a shop be doing some photography for them hence trying out their service guys. Super nice super friendly but ya they went hog wild on fixing things without calling emailing or texting to ask if I actually wanted the work done. Maybe it was intentional to negate the credit I had earned... I dunno but I won’t be a patreon in the future.

We’ve got a wrench that is absolutely over the top kind to us and I have no idea why. But he’s awesome!!!
I'm betting this played a big role

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 13:24 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Radical Gnarfest

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 13:39 Quote
Anyone just start snapping spokes out of the blue? For some reason I keep breaking those little f*ckers lately.

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 14:07 Quote
urinalmint wrote:
Anyone just start snapping spokes out of the blue? For some reason I keep breaking those little f*ckers lately.

Yep... once with 28 spoke wheels, couple times with old aluminum nipples.

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 14:23 Quote
Had a road wheel do that once, just blew half the spokes in the rear wheel mid ride out of nowhere. Aside from that it's only ever been in one's and two's

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 15:06 Quote
urinalmint wrote:

Are they old and fatigued?

I mean the spokes.

Not the pilot.

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 15:12 Quote
urinalmint wrote:

Yep, had this happen with one of my rear wheels. Time to have it taken right apart and rebuilt. How old is the rim?

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
Yup, this pilot is fatigued all the time!Big Grin

Ok, I think you guys are right. At first I thought the shop may have over tensioned them when I took it in to get a bearing kit installed while I was away fishing last week. But I talked to the wrench and he says they didn't touch the wheels.

This set were new to me last year, one year old when I got them but in perfect shape. I keep an eye on them and tension when needed. With this set I've touched up the rear once after I got back from Moab last May. They are We Are One Agent rims on Project 321 hubs, not sure what spokes or nipples. Got them from a dude in Kamloops who bought a new bike with boost spacing. No cases, no really big stuff lately actually. All hits to trannies, no crashes. It's strange, I've only ever destroyed wheels on bad landings but never broken spokes.

Thanks guys. I wouldn't consider them old but, ya, I guess on year three with a few hundred rides on them so they maybe fatigued. Just to be safe I think I'll just get the rear rebuilt. I have a spare to use for now with a decent DHR2 still mounted on it. Just need to the swap rotor and cassette.

O+
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 23:33 Quote
At two years old you could start blowing spokes not out of the ordinary. I will usually loose 2-3 a year after the first year.

So dry on the island need some rain we may be shut out of the woods pretty quick if we don’t.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.108101
Mobile Version of Website