Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 10:16 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
If I did more camping with my bike, I'd definitely invest in a garage tent like the Redverz Atacama or whatever it's called.

I'd never heard of those. They're awesome. What a cool idea.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 10:47 Quote
One more day of things to handle then off for a week, starting in Fernie Tomorrow, I will make a stop in Rossland and then I should be around Revelstoke probably Wednesday then Silverstar Thursday end of day.

Anybody want to ride Revelstoke with me?

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 10:52 Quote
jerome wrote:
One more day of things to handle then off for a week, starting in Fernie Tomorrow, I will make a stop in Rossland and then I should be around Revelstoke probably Wednesday then Silverstar Thursday end of day.

Getting pretty stoked homie!!!!

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 11:06 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
If I did more camping with my bike, I'd definitely invest in a garage tent like the Redverz Atacama or whatever it's called.

I'd never heard of those. They're awesome. What a cool idea.
Went camping on my moto a couple years ago and saw a dude with one, been wanting one ever since but I don't do enough two wheeled camping to justify. They're really cool though.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 11:08 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Doesn't Fox own Zocchi now? Or did they get sold again? I thought they were basically just Fox products with reduced adjustability to maintain a market for higher end Fox products.

Essentially correct. It takes all the great stuff from the FOX products and simplifies it. Less adjustment, etc. I was riding a Grip2 FOX based frankenfork with a Z1 lower for awhile. Such a rad fork. I just put like 25 or so hours on a bone stock Z1. Honestly really enjoyed it. It performed really well and I actually really like the sweep knob. I basically get it set up wide open. Same as the shock. But pedaling from the office to the trails is nice because I can lock the shock and the fork out for the pavement portion.

Then for the dirt climb I go middle middle and then open it all the way up once the climb is done.

I'd recommend a Z1 for just about any trail rider that's not in the industry. The price you can get them at I don't think you can beat it. Most guys that are just trying to get out and ride don't want to screw with stuff and have to rebuild constantly, etc. Just want to beat on something. And the Z1 is perfect for that.

Though the fork I'm putting together right now is a Grip2 36. Haaaa. Basically tearing apart my frankenfork and doing something different with it. Need to get a slack hard tail frame. Can't afford a freaking c-mag or I'd get one. Looking at eccentric evo, Nukeproof Scout and Specialized Fuse.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 11:10 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Not sure if I'd updated y'all yet but I'm officially out for yet another fossil fest... arm wasn't broken but I hyperextended the elbow and tore up the ligaments and tendons pretty badly. Healing slowly, can't do much more than pedal around XC style at this point. Can't apply any torque with my right arm... supposed to be in a sling but I'm a terrible patient.

Sorry to hear about that. No surgery though. That's good!

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 11:22 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
Essentially correct. It takes all the great stuff from the FOX products and simplifies it. Less adjustment, etc. I was riding a Grip2 FOX based frankenfork with a Z1 lower for awhile. Such a rad fork. I just put like 25 or so hours on a bone stock Z1. Honestly really enjoyed it. It performed really well and I actually really like the sweep knob. I basically get it set up wide open. Same as the shock. But pedaling from the office to the trails is nice because I can lock the shock and the fork out for the pavement portion.

Then for the dirt climb I go middle middle and then open it all the way up once the climb is done.

I'd recommend a Z1 for just about any trail rider that's not in the industry. The price you can get them at I don't think you can beat it. Most guys that are just trying to get out and ride don't want to screw with stuff and have to rebuild constantly, etc. Just want to beat on something. And the Z1 is perfect for that.

Though the fork I'm putting together right now is a Grip2 36. Haaaa. Basically tearing apart my frankenfork and doing something different with it. Need to get a slack hard tail frame. Can't afford a freaking c-mag or I'd get one. Looking at eccentric evo, Nukeproof Scout and Specialized Fuse.

I could be very tempted by a Z1 if/when my ageing Marz 350 dies, although I really wish Fox had continued with the 350NCR Ti coil under the Z1 banner.

Did you get in touch with Marino on the hardtail thing?
Had this through from him yesterday, and frame is apparently now painted:

Marino ready for painting

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 11:55 Quote
OneBanana wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:

I could be very tempted by a Z1 if/when my ageing Marz 350 dies, although I really wish Fox had continued with the 350NCR Ti coil under the Z1 banner.

Did you get in touch with Marino on the hardtail thing?
Had this through from him yesterday, and frame is apparently now painted:

Marino ready for painting

I did reach out. I've got to follow up with him.

If I can get what I want out of my Remedy I'll be more likely to pull the trigger with them as I'll want it full options and painted. I suppose I could work on something to figure out what will work with my fork. The fork is gonna be insane. Got the painted lower the other day.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 12:45 Quote
jamezyo wrote:
jerome wrote:

Getting pretty stoked homie!!!!

I'm in Revy next month, try again?

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 12:51 Quote
That Marino is looking KILLER! what color you doin?

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 12:53 Quote
After much discussion with my local shop about the Bomber 58 I’m probably going to give it a go. I’ll just have to deal with a 38 lb aluminum DH bike, which really isn’t that bad. I can always put a Grip 2 in it over the winter if I feel it needs more adjustment.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 13:14 Quote
That Marino looks Sick... I mean that Sick looks Marino. Pirate

Will be interesting to see if those guys rise from the ashes.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 13:29 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
After much discussion with my local shop about the Bomber 58 I’m probably going to give it a go. I’ll just have to deal with a 38 lb aluminum DH bike, which really isn’t that bad.
I can always put a Grip 2 in it over the winter if I feel it needs more adjustment.

yesir. I loved my Grip2. I'm looking forward to getting back on it.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 13:41 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
That Marino looks Sick... I mean that Sick looks Marino. Pirate

Will be interesting to see if those guys rise from the ashes.
lol
You following the Sick thread here? It's degenerated into a bit of a shitfest so wouldn't exactly recommend reading it, but doesn't sound like anyone is getting frames or refunds so wouldn't hold out much hope for them....

sterlingmagnum wrote:
That Marino is looking KILLER! what color you doin?
Thanks dude. Couldn't do the shade I originally wanted but settled on a matt green that I'm pretty happy with.
Got to wait for forks to be finished and then probably two weeks shipping before I can build it up. First custom frame experience and it's a weird sort of extended period of new bike anticipation stoke. Kinda like tantric bike sex I guess lol

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 13:43 Quote
I hear pink makes the boys wink

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.030351
Mobile Version of Website