Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 19:28 Quote
Layback seatpost? I’ll go ahead and stick my foot up your ass if I catch you sitting down on that thing lol

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 19:33 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Layback seatpost? I’ll go ahead and stick my foot up your ass if I catch you sitting down on that thing lol

Got-sta pedal to the trailhead sometimes Sterling. My experience is "DH trails" are not always DH all the way down. If you can catch me on this thing you can kick me.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 19:36 Quote
Snicker snicker Wink I would never... dont want shreddy bits on me toesies...

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 19:37 Quote
Not sure what you're running for drivetrain but a good place to start for saving weight on the cheap... shimano 105 11-30 road cassette is sub 300g and under $50... saves 100g or more over mountain cassettes and has plenty of range for downhill/park riding. If you're willing to give up more range, the 11-28/11-25 are even a bit lighter.

For example, the 105 cassette on my trainer was 284g compared to 411g for the gx 11 speed cassette I had on the Nomad. 127g weight savings and less than half the price.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 20:18 Quote
Not much I can do about the frame, fork and shock. The weight of those is what it is. However lighter rims and cranks would help me save a little weight in the future.

Here's the rundown according to the hang scale at the shop and the lady of the woods cooking scale here at home.
She just shook her head as I was weighing my bits. (Bike parts not MY bits) lol

Grams converted to pounds.

Frame/shock/saddle/post - 13.20 lbs
Marzocchi 58 - 6.22 lbs
Wheelset - Including Double Down rubber, tubeless fluid, 9 speed cassette and rotors - 12.6 lbs
Saint brakes - 1.37 lbs
Cranks & pedals - 2.3 lbs
Shifter & derailleur - 0.99 lbs
Chain - 0.62 lbs
Bar/stem/grips - 0.95 lbs

Total = 38.25 lbs

She's a little full figured but I'll make her work as is for now.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 20:38 Quote
nuthin wrong with a little more to hold onto when things get rowdy.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 20:40 Quote
Pretty respectable if you ask me. Have you put it on the dirt yet? Thats the true test. Seems like the Geo of bikes these days allows for burlier builds but lighter feel on the hill.

Plus a little stability is nice in the deep waters

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 20:42 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Not much I can do about the frame, fork and shock. The weight of those is what it is. However lighter rims and cranks would help me save a little weight in the future.

Here's the rundown according to the hang scale at the shop and the lady of the woods cooking scale here at home.
She just shook her head as I was weighing my bits. (Bike parts not MY bits) lol

Grams converted to pounds.

Frame/shock/saddle/post - 13.20 lbs
Marzocchi 58 - 6.22 lbs
Wheelset - Including Double Down rubber, tubeless fluid, 9 speed cassette and rotors - 12.6 lbs
Saint brakes - 1.37 lbs
Cranks & pedals - 2.3 lbs
Shifter & derailleur - 0.99 lbs
Chain - 0.62 lbs
Bar/stem/grips - 0.95 lbs

Total = 38.25 lbs

She's a little full figured but I'll make her work as is for now.
Nice rig Professor!

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 20:50 Quote
Didnt like the marzo decals?

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 21:00 Quote
Two quick laps in the rain today, then home to tweak dials, adjust air pressures and such.
Full day ride tomorrow. Professor with OCD dials shit in, then goes all in.

Marz decals were fine but the red clashed with the orange shock. If black, gray or orange they would have stay on.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 21:14 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
If you ever decide to throw a bit more money at it, you could shave a good 2lbs or so just off this pretty reasonably. I bet it'll ride great as it is but if that weight bug bites you, your 36lb goal is totally doable without getting crazy or going to flimsy parts. Honestly though, anything sub 40lb with that much capability is a win in my book.

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 21:16 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Two quick laps in the rain today. Then home to tweak dials, adjust air pressures and such.

Marz decals were fine but the red clashed with the orange shock. If black, gray or orange they would have stay on.
Heely told me about somebody that does custom decals but I can't remember who... the orange decals on my 36 look so out of place on my Bronson, I'm in the same boat you're in. It's hard on my OCD lol

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 22:11 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
Two quick laps in the rain today. Then home to tweak dials, adjust air pressures and such.

Heely told me about somebody that does custom decals but I can't remember who... the orange decals on my 36 look so out of place on my Bronson, I'm in the same boat you're in. It's hard on my OCD lol
What color bronson?

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 22:28 Quote
Silk Graphics does custom decals. Could order the Marz 58 ones in quite a few colours but I’m fine with plain black lowers.

Yep, wheelset will be the first place I go to save weight. I’ll just have to break the ones on it now. LOL

Posted: Jul 20, 2019 at 22:53 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:

What color bronson?
The forest green... I really wanna find some decals in that same color or, if I can't find that color, the dark grey/silver on the DPX2... Swap all the orange writing for either the green or the dark grey, keep the silver parts silver. Something like that would look good I think.

Bronson

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.034804
Mobile Version of Website