Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 20:48 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
I dunno about that... a buddy has a V10 29'er that's 36lbs, which is totally reasonable imo.

Carbon yes, aluminum no. Carbon can go that light but it will cost you $10-12 000 CAD to get there. Just too much money. For that same amount of money I have two bikes. One carbon AM bike for pedalling and one aluminum for park abuse.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 20:51 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I could deal with a 40 lb death roller

There’s a saying in backcountry skiing something like 5lbs on the feet is like 50lbs on the back. I think the same is true with bikes... a nice wheelset and nice rubber makes a bigger difference than overall weight.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 20:54 Quote
If I had to guess if anything like the 29 enduro rigs, they are heavy but the geo lends them to feel lighter on the trails?

Speaking of being able to handle bikes... don't sleep on pushups. Haven't done them for years... Been getting after them for the last two months. Eased in with 5-10 a day and am up to 150 give or take. Sets of 20-50 throughout the day depending on how froggy Im feeling and its doing wonders for bike control. Goal is 300 a day. We’ll see....

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 20:58 Quote
I stopped in Skyride today and looked at that Slayer. It’s a beauty for sure. They’ve also got a large Wilson 29er in there as well (should’ve rented it instead). So many choices......

The wife was spent today the Patrol and did really well. So the plan is: Patrol becomes her park bike, Mint gets new DH sled for next year and rides the Patrol for one more year. Then, new pedally bike for ‘21. But damn, I can’t keep handing my bikes down to her. She’s totally on to me!!!

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 21:25 Quote
urinalmint wrote:
I stopped in Skyride today and looked at that Slayer. It’s a beauty for sure. They’ve also got a large Wilson 29er in there as well (should’ve rented it instead). So many choices......

The wife was spent today the Patrol and did really well. So the plan is: Patrol becomes her park bike, Mint gets new DH sled for next year and rides the Patrol for one more year. Then, new pedally bike for ‘21. But damn, I can’t keep handing my bikes down to her. She’s totally on to me!!!

Yep, considered that Wilson but it’s 42 plus pounds. No thank you.

You two still up at Silver Star tomorrow evening? I’ll be up in the evening for extended play. Might be on the Ripmo though. The Marz Bomber 58 did the loss of travel thing again last night. Dropped it off a Skyride this morning for a look see inside. Hopefully just to much grease/slick lube clogging the air port between the positive and negative air chambers.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 21:42 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
urinalmint wrote:

Yep, considered that Wilson but it’s 42 plus pounds. No thank you.

You two still up at Silver Star tomorrow evening? I’ll be up in the evening for extended play. Might be on the Ripmo though. The Marz Bomber 58 did the loss of travel thing again last night. Dropped it off a Skyride this morning for a look see inside. Hopefully just to much grease/slick lube clogging the air port between the positive and negative air chambers.
No, sorry man, I thought you'd still be out of action. We're doing the family thing tomorrow. Chances are I won't make it back up there this trip. Heading back to PG on Saturday morning.

Didn't lift up that Wilson. It looks sweet but 42 is too chubby for sure. But I'm still pissed that I didn't at least rent it today. Would've been nice to try another brand's monster truck dh sled.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 22:26 Quote
All good. I too wasn’t sure how last nights ride attempt would go. Leg was a little sore last night when done but not enough to keep a good man down. Back on the Pipe (Dream) again last night. So good until more fork issues. Frown
Safe travels back home.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 22:29 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I could deal with a 40 lb death roller

There’s a saying in backcountry skiing something like 5lbs on the feet is like 50lbs on the back. I think the same is true with bikes... a nice wheelset and nice rubber makes a bigger difference than overall weight.
That release video was awesome.

...and that saying is 100% true. A good set of carbon wheels will do more for a bike than literally any other upgrade you can make. Even low end suspension is good enough these days that it's not gonna really hold you back unless you're pro level fast, but wheels change the entire personality of a bike. Good wheels and your bike will do everything better.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 22:32 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
If I had to guess if anything like the 29 enduro rigs, they are heavy but the geo lends them to feel lighter on the trails?

Speaking of being able to handle bikes... don't sleep on pushups. Haven't done them for years... Been getting after them for the last two months. Eased in with 5-10 a day and am up to 150 give or take. Sets of 20-50 throughout the day depending on how froggy Im feeling and its doing wonders for bike control. Goal is 300 a day. We’ll see....
Bench press, deadlifts, and pedal for cardio... covers pretty much everything you need for functional strength on the bike.

My gimped arm is still keeping me from doing any real push work and bothers the shit out of me on the bike but I can still manage some deadlifts and turn the pedals on the road bike for an hour or so.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 5:53 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
All good. I too wasn’t sure how last nights ride attempt would go. Leg was a little sore last night when done but not enough to keep a good man down. Back on the Pipe (Dream) again last night. So good until more fork issues. Frown
Safe travels back home.

me, me ,me!!!!
I am leaving Calgary this morning hoping to be there for 4pm to do some twilight laps with my daughter and a buddy

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 6:13 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

Bench press, deadlifts, and pedal for cardio... covers pretty much everything you need for functional strength on the bike.

My gimped arm is still keeping me from doing any real push work and bothers the shit out of me on the bike but I can still manage some deadlifts and turn the pedals on the road bike for an hour or so.

Yeah for sure, since I don't have any weights or gym membership/time other than mtb rides away from fam. (When I get a 2 hour window free i would rather be in the woods than a gym) that said fitness level needed help, so I decided to try old school, old man workouts. Pull ups, push ups, sit ups, squats etc. all free no need for excuses on my end. Working my way into a routine.... maybe broomstick with buckets of rocks is next lol

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 6:14 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Safe travels back home.

Wow! Good to hear. I thought your season was done. tup

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 7:02 Quote
obee1 wrote:
d-man wrote:
Our valley residents have stooped to a new low. Found about 50 medium sized fir trees cut down and across the trail. This happened to the Trans Rockies race last month also. f*cking NIMBY's here a so against mountain bikes it's crazy. The local hiking association has deemed the Brewer Lake trail as non mechanized too and we've been riding that trail for 20 years. Unbelievable that the government pisses on mountain bikes when they are one of the largest tourism user groups coming into the valley right now. Local businesses are not stepping up to help fight for trails but they sure like the cash being dropped.
So glad I'm starting holidays tomorrow and going to the west Kootenays where mountain biking is not a crime!

darcy thats some hilarious bullshit right there. half the vehicles in your town have bike racks on them. at least half.
not to mention that "any concealed or camouflaged device designed to cause bodily injury when triggered by any action of a person making contact with the device" is illegal in Canada and fines and/or imprisonment is the stated outcome. as i'm sure a complaint has already been made with the local constabulary, the best way to make police respond is through constant and repeated complaints. i would encourage you to make a personal complaint while identifying the obvious danger those NIMBY actions could cause.

I spoke to the club president about it, his response was the club will not make a formal complaint to the forest or recreation departments because it is not an official trail. I have documented the damage and will be making my own complaint as a resident of the area. I have been disappointed with the direction of the club lately and this non action by the board pushes me farther from the organization.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 8:05 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
Safe travels back home.

Wow! Good to hear. I thought your season was done. tup

I’m like Prell, the hard stuff!
Nothing a little ice and rest can’t overcome after sh*t goes down. Strong enough to wrestle a moose... but I wouldn’t... those things are big and can fu*k you up good! Lol

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 8:22 Quote
jerome wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
Safe travels back home.

me, me ,me!!!!
I am leaving Calgary this morning hoping to be there for 4pm to do some twilight laps with my daughter and a buddy

If it doesn’t pour rain today I’ll keep an eye out for you tonight Jerome. Overcast and threatening today but it’s the Okanagan. Wait 24 hours, it will be nice again.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.043899
Mobile Version of Website