Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 8:38 Quote
d-man wrote:
obee1 wrote:
d-man wrote:
Our valley residents have stooped to a new low. Found about 50 medium sized fir trees cut down and across the trail. This happened to the Trans Rockies race last month also. f*cking NIMBY's here a so against mountain bikes it's crazy. The local hiking association has deemed the Brewer Lake trail as non mechanized too and we've been riding that trail for 20 years. Unbelievable that the government pisses on mountain bikes when they are one of the largest tourism user groups coming into the valley right now. Local businesses are not stepping up to help fight for trails but they sure like the cash being dropped.
So glad I'm starting holidays tomorrow and going to the west Kootenays where mountain biking is not a crime!

darcy thats some hilarious bullshit right there. half the vehicles in your town have bike racks on them. at least half.
not to mention that "any concealed or camouflaged device designed to cause bodily injury when triggered by any action of a person making contact with the device" is illegal in Canada and fines and/or imprisonment is the stated outcome. as i'm sure a complaint has already been made with the local constabulary, the best way to make police respond is through constant and repeated complaints. i would encourage you to make a personal complaint while identifying the obvious danger those NIMBY actions could cause.

I spoke to the club president about it, his response was the club will not make a formal complaint to the forest or recreation departments because it is not an official trail. I have documented the damage and will be making my own complaint as a resident of the area. I have been disappointed with the direction of the club lately and this non action by the board pushes me farther from the organization.

Very much an anti Albertan sentiment by a select few of the residents of the Windermere Valley.
I spent a great deal of time in the 80s and 90s in the valley riding mountain and road, skiing, water skiing and back in the day there was a great deal of resentment to our presence there.

I remember being at Lussier hot springs and having some locals throwing rocks down the hill at us. Crazy drunken red necks! They also vandalized our nearly worthless trucks...

I haven't spent a great deal of time there for the last 20 years. I moved my travels to the West Kootneys as well and love it out there. A bit too much travel time for a weekend trip but lovely country.

I have been a lurker on the old school thread for some time and this is my first post here.

Cheers,
Bill

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 9:01 Quote
urinalmint wrote:
Crisco, we did 5620 on Tuesday. Fun ride. But...it was hot as hell up there and like a dumbass I brought one little bottle and ended up getting pretty dehydrated. The climb isn’t that tough but you’re pretty exposed at times and the sun just messed me up. I was pouring sweat!!!

Hit up the star again this afternoon. Back on a rental. This time the 27.5 Aurum HSP. Verdict is in. Wagon wheel DH bikes are legit. At least that one. The 27.5 version felt slow and I had to work way harder to keep the speed I needed to clear everything. Plus the brake bumps...

Thanks for the beta Mint. Looks like cooler temps and some rain for the weekend. I plan on riding with a pack so plenty of water and snacks.

I rode with the Woodward Cider Co. boys last night and spent some time at their facility. The family owns Privato Vinyards as well. Great people with an awesome product (and they ride bikes). Be sure to check them out if you see their stuff in the stores.

https://www.privato.ca/

https://woodwardciderco.ca/

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 9:24 Quote
wrestles moose.... snicker snicker.... glad your doing well.

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 16:45 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
The release vid for the slayer is a nice bit of eye candy if any y’all haven’t seen it.

Just when I think I've decided on my new bike...

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 18:27 Quote
MHY wrote:
mtnmanjake wrote:
The release vid for the slayer is a nice bit of eye candy if any y’all haven’t seen it.

Is it cheaper for you to buy in Canada?

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
Coworker just got an enduro. So nice

Posted: Aug 23, 2019 at 23:38 Quote
husstler wrote:
MHY wrote:
mtnmanjake wrote:

Is it cheaper for you to buy in Canada?

Good question. I could order a pay before I arrive, ask to keep the box and bring it. Home. There's a dealer an hour away from home, he's a veteran and does discount for serving and vets. Going to go check them out up next weekend.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 8:00 Quote
I rode every day during the trailforks challenge. On only two days did I ride a trail that is on trailforks. I rode a bunch of stuff twice, but still, that's something like 20 new, secret, rougue trails. In Whistler. And I'll keep it up all summer.

It's not just what's on the map. There is much more out there.

Go ride your bike. Go ride it today.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 8:20 Quote
leverfingers wrote:
I rode every day during the trailforks challenge. On only two days did I ride a trail that is on trailforks. I rode a bunch of stuff twice, but still, that's something like 20 new, secret, rougue trails. In Whistler. And I'll keep it up all summer.

It's not just what's on the map. There is much more out there.

Go ride your bike. Go ride it today.

Rad

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 9:10 Quote
billbek wrote:
d-man wrote:
obee1 wrote:

darcy thats some hilarious bullshit right there. half the vehicles in your town have bike racks on them. at least half.
not to mention that "any concealed or camouflaged device designed to cause bodily injury when triggered by any action of a person making contact with the device" is illegal in Canada and fines and/or imprisonment is the stated outcome. as i'm sure a complaint has already been made with the local constabulary, the best way to make police respond is through constant and repeated complaints. i would encourage you to make a personal complaint while identifying the obvious danger those NIMBY actions could cause.

I spoke to the club president about it, his response was the club will not make a formal complaint to the forest or recreation departments because it is not an official trail. I have documented the damage and will be making my own complaint as a resident of the area. I have been disappointed with the direction of the club lately and this non action by the board pushes me farther from the organization.

Very much an anti Albertan sentiment by a select few of the residents of the Windermere Valley.
I spent a great deal of time in the 80s and 90s in the valley riding mountain and road, skiing, water skiing and back in the day there was a great deal of resentment to our presence there.

I remember being at Lussier hot springs and having some locals throwing rocks down the hill at us. Crazy drunken red necks! They also vandalized our nearly worthless trucks...

I haven't spent a great deal of time there for the last 20 years. I moved my travels to the West Kootneys as well and love it out there. A bit too much travel time for a weekend trip but lovely country.

I have been a lurker on the old school thread for some time and this is my first post here.

Cheers,
Bill
Most of that bs is gone nowadays, many businesses rely on the tourist season to survive.

Where you at Bill? I'm heading to Nakusp to check out what a million dollars spent on trails looks like.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 9:43 Quote
d-man wrote:
billbek wrote:
d-man wrote:

Cheers,
Bill
Most of that bs is gone nowadays, many businesses rely on the tourist season to survive.

Where you at Bill? I'm heading to Nakusp to check out what a million dollars spent on trails looks like.

Trail report, please! I think that looks like a nice place to go for a weekend trip.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 9:52 Quote
d-man wrote:

The half way hot spring campground is amazing but out of the way. it is also a first come first server spot so sometimes its hard to get a site.

The lion's campsite in town isn't horrible and close enough to the beach but there are a group of teenager that are steeling coolers for beer. Keep it locked up.

Give a report on the trail system as the kid-lets and i are talking about a little bike trip.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 11:51 Quote
beware fernie campers as teenage cooler theft/ theft in general is tolerated at the fernie campground by its park employees. and the local police force indulge it, since its only albertans who are getting their shit taken.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 12:10 Quote
I think I'm going to buy a pedally bike again this fall. I need to get out and ride ????

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 14:34 Quote
What ride area of Nakusp did they spend a million dollars on? In rode in the Box Lake area last year but didn’t see that kind of money spent.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025179
Mobile Version of Website