Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Sep 10, 2019 at 22:51 Quote
As much as a Shimano fan I am, I am in agreement. If fork and wheel set are good enough, paying just over $1k to have a complete build leaves a lot of room to upgrade few bits that personally matter to precisely what one wants. Which one would likely do with SLX build just as well anyway.

I am honestly interested. I like aluminum.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:10 Quote
criscokid25 wrote:
New Ibis Ripmo AF looks pretty hard to beat. Nice to see them bringing down the price where us non-dentists can get in the game. Marin is doing the same with their non-niald bikes. Some are even cheaper than last year!

You know it,

Frame & air shock please

Seriously thinking of Ripley until AF arrived

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 18:22 Quote
I was having coffee with a friend in north van today and was chatting about the Ripmo AF. The Pivot rep happened to be sitting by us and started trying to talk shit on it. I explained it was what a lot of people really wanted and that Pivots were not. His main “negative” point was that it was aluminum. What a tool.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 19:02 Quote
A true company man Smile never been a fan of pivot.... hope they have lowered the stance since the last one I cruised around on.... it was a high sitter....

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 19:09 Quote
Alloy is a negative to be honest... it requires trade offs that aren't needed with carbon. I wouldn't consider that enough to be a knock on the bike as a whole but calling it out as a negative isn't dishonest.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 19:12 Quote
Negative how? Its a great option for those of us that prefer it over carbon.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 19:44 Quote
Carbon isn't all equal either. I had a Devinci Django a couple of years ago and the carbon models (one of which I owned) were hardly lighter than aluminum, and didn't ride any better.

There are some bikes that ride better in carbon.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 19:48 Quote
It's exactly that, company man talk. I've heard the same talk from other people in the industry still trying to sell carbon hard. My guess is they are not thrilled about losing a good chunk of markup by selling aluminum bikes. I have one carbon and one aluminum bike. Both are great.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 19:55 Quote
I like aluminum full suspension bikes. I just care less when riding, and that is why I ride. To care less.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 20:08 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Alloy is a negative to be honest... it requires trade offs that aren't needed with carbon. I wouldn't consider that enough to be a knock on the bike as a whole but calling it out as a negative isn't dishonest.

It’s not a negative if the designer can achieve their desired outcome.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 20:46 Quote
looks like sat will be nice enough to smash park laps . Those Rheeder jumps have been on the back of my mind for the Last few days.
Can’t wait to see lower pipe dream.
Any of you old summa bitchz gona be up for closing weekend ?

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 21:03 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Given material properties, that's not possible. To attain equal stiffness requires greater material density and weight... to achieve equal compliance requires less material and compromise strength. To try and find a balance point between them requires material variability that increases costs and complexity of welding and manufacturing and negates cost benefits.

Carbon is a superior material, period. Anecdotes and preferences don't change that fact.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 21:13 Quote
that’s ridiculous..... there are multiple reasons why alloy frames get lifetime warranty while carbon gets 3 years or so. There are chinks in every chain. Neither are “better” than the other, its all characteristics one might prefer...

It all boils down to preferences. Not everyone values paying a premium for insignificant or subtle differences.

For me personally? Im a cheap bastard who values practicality and who cant tell the difference between an RC or Charger 2 damper..... its all smoke and mirrors....

Besides no one buys a bike based on scientific facts.... it is “all” preferences.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 21:21 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Given material properties, that's not possible. To attain equal stiffness requires greater material density and weight... to achieve equal compliance requires less material and compromise strength. To try and find a balance point between them requires material variability that increases costs and complexity of welding and manufacturing and negates cost benefits.

Carbon is a superior material, period. Anecdotes and preferences don't change that fact.

Do you follow the weight game thread in here? RMR, who is an engineer designing bikes, had an amazing post recently discussing these notions. I’ll find it and paste it here.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 21:36 Quote
I finally took the time to listen to the new Tool album. I was left completely underwhelmed. Every song is a slow burn going kinda nowhere. It’s not unpleasant but it’s more atmospheric than anything else. It’s a bit like a prog-metal Enya album.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025457
Mobile Version of Website