Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Sep 17, 2019 at 21:27 Quote
Winters our prime riding. Lol. But yeah. Think I might try the marzo build. Drop the price. Give it a few then part it out. Be ashame. Thing rides so good as it is now.

Honestly probably sell it to one of you guys with the factory stuff for 3200.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 0:38 Quote
I'd part her out this time of year. People are looking for parts to upgrade their rides over the fall/winter season. However you live somewhere that winter doesn't really apply so option 2 might be best and faster.
I parted out my Devinci Marshall and NS Djambo hardtail keeping the bits I still wanted to use. Took about two months to sell 2 frames, 2 forks and the last item I sold yesterday. The orange Hope hubs. So not super quick but it's all gone. Better than 2 bikes sitting all fall/winter until people are ready to look at bikes again in the spring. 2 cents

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 6:04 Quote
Hardest part about selling anything is detaching yourself from any emotional connection to it. And if a quick sale is important, dumping the price is the ticket. Sucks but thats the one.

We build these things just how we like. Whether we realize it or not theres a little bonding going on, perhaps some obsession. No one cares about what we think regarding our opinions on how our bikes stack up against the rest of the herd. They just want cheap.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 6:48 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Hardest part about selling anything is detaching yourself from any emotional connection to it. And if a quick sale is important, dumping the price is the ticket. Sucks but thats the one.

We build these things just how we like. Whether we realize it or not theres a little bonding going on, perhaps some obsession. No one cares about what we think regarding our opinions on how our bikes stack up against the rest of the herd. They just want cheap.

Very true.
There is a big difference in your time selling everything off piecemeal compared to selling the complete bike. I guess what it comes down to is how much is your time worth and how much of it do you have?
Hope you get what you need from the bike pricewise.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 7:53 Quote
billbek wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

Very true.
There is a big difference in your time selling everything off piecemeal compared to selling the complete bike. I guess what it comes down to is how much is your time worth and how much of it do you have?
Hope you get what you need from the bike pricewise.

This is how I rationalize just dropping my pants on asking price and get on with it.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 8:08 Quote
husstler wrote:
This is how I rationalize just dropping my pants on asking price and get on with it.
Yup... I pulled the carbon bars and stem off the Nomad, swapped the XT brakes for SLX, and put the alloy wheels back on it. Sold it for $2500 in about a week... sold the carbon wheelset for $750. Easier for me to just get it sold and move on than deal with trying to get maximum price.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 8:32 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
husstler wrote:
Yup... I pulled the carbon bars and stem off the Nomad, swapped the XT brakes for SLX, and put the alloy wheels back on it. Sold it for $2500 in about a week... sold the carbon wheelset for $750. Easier for me to just get it sold and move on than deal with trying to get maximum price.

just avoiding dealing with 15 yahoo's that waste your time going back and forth kicking the tires....that's the shit I don't have time for.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 9:03 Quote
I only had one yahoo from the Montreal area dickiing around about the hubs. First he says I’ll buy them at your price but you pay the shipping. I say no, you are the buyer you pay shipping. So he says ok and gives me his postal code so I can find out how much the shipping will be to his area. I find out, let him know how much the shipping is and he comes back with an offer for less again not covering the shipping cost. So I say no, full price for the hubs and shipping. If not thank you for your interest and I’ll just sell them to somebody else.
Didn’t hear back.
Very next day I did just that, shipped them to a dude in Vancouver area. Done.

The other 4 items I sold? The people were all very easy to deal with. Even selling the Fox fork to another dude in Montreal looking to put it on his wives ride was no problem. And with Email transfer of funds very easy too. It really doesn’t take much of your own time to deal with but you will get the odd yahoo.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 9:04 Quote
True that. I thought I was being pretty fair with the price. Basically a brand new $8k build for half. Guess not

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 9:19 Quote
Yeah a couple buddies selling bikes had a hard time getting things sold. Took about 6months for them to sell and significantly less than they wanted.

There problem is there are some good new bikes in 3-4k range that come with a warranty and a serviceable spec so when laying out that amount of cash they would rather have some security.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 9:40 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Yeah a couple buddies selling bikes had a hard time getting things sold. Took about 6months for them to sell and significantly less than they wanted.

There problem is there are some good new bikes in 3-4k range that come with a warranty and a serviceable spec so when laying out that amount of cash they would rather have some security.

yeah. I think if it had a Santa Cruz logo on it or was a 29er it'd be sold.

But it's a Trek and it's a 27.5.

I'll take a shot at swapping stuff off and resisting it a few places for a couple weeks. If it doesn't move I'll part it out.

Hard part will be figuring out pricing. I think the wheel set I have goes for like $1600. Figure with tires... hell man I don't know $900? You can't find the damn things anywhere.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 10:24 Quote
Thats just it right there. Its ruff, my buddy is in the same boat with a great 27.5 process built up really nicely. He’s meeting a guy today but only after months and dropping price continually.

Finding that perfect buyer is getting harder and harder to do with all the mid price options out there now that come with basic new parts but those parts in some cases are just as good or better than the higher end stuff from just a couple years ago ....

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 10:38 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
husstler wrote:

just avoiding dealing with 15 yahoo's that waste your time going back and forth kicking the tires....that's the shit I don't have time for.
That's why I prefer Ebay to pinkbike... it's worth paying a couple percent to not get a bunch if messages from idiot's.

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 10:43 Quote
Yeah if parts I dont mind PB but for full bikes we have a pretty solid FB page for pnw bike classifieds

Posted: Sep 18, 2019 at 11:05 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
True that. I thought I was being pretty fair with the price. Basically a brand new $8k build for half. Guess not
Your price is totally fair, pinkbike is just a shitty resource for sellers. It heavily favors buyers because so many people on this site have shop hook ups and get shit for well below retail.

The average person on Pinkbike expects shit to be significantly cheaper than the average cyclist does. I paid $550 for my Factory 36 when I built up my Bronson. To the average rider, that's an $1100 fork that they'd probably hope to sell for more than what I paid new after they'd ridden it for a year... on pinkbike, you can find em for $300 or so.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.034961
Mobile Version of Website