Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 19:25 Quote
Sshredder wrote:
61 people killed by black bears in North America since 1900.
461 people killed by pet dogs in USA just in 2018
Hand guns kill about 100 people a year in USA.
Explains my fear of..... Not bears!

cute list.
hammers and bats killed 450+ people in America last year too, so i guess you should stay out of home depot and sport check as well.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 19:44 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Yes but how many bear encounters happen annually compared to rest.

Stats like those are so skewed you need to look at a rate per encounter. There are people that will never see a bear in their life let alone one in the wild.

I’ve been with inched of a bear once. Feet several times. They’re more scared of you

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 19:55 Quote
Sshredder wrote:
61 people killed by black bears in North America since 1900.
461 people killed by pet dogs in USA just in 2018
Hand guns kill about 100 people a year in USA.
Explains my fear of..... Not bears!
Need a couple more zeros on that handgun figure. Handguns kill about 10,000 people every year, not including suicide, in the US.

And like mountain man said, raw totals are pretty meaningless. There's almost 100,000,000 pet dogs in the USA vs roughly 300,000 black bears.

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 19:57 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

Stats like those are so skewed you need to look at a rate per encounter. There are people that will never see a bear in their life let alone one in the wild.

I’ve been with inched of a bear once. Feet several times. They’re more scared of you

For the most part yes. I run into them a couple times a year but always give them the space they deserve and haven't had any issues so far. A buddy of mine was charged a couple years ago and a coworker was as well they used bear spray and stood their ground then left the area so not something I take lightly.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 19:58 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

Honestly, in my experience bears are only a threat if startled or protecting their young. Black bears are a little easier to spook but neither black nor brown see us as food.

Big cats are really the only animals that the thought of seeing scares me... and great whites, but I'm not a big ocean goer.

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 20:38 Quote
Some of the bears up here totally see people as food.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 20:45 Quote
That's super rare... like you've got a better shot at winning the lotto twice than being hunted by a bear.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 21:59 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

a

They are. But they can and do freak out and can f*ck you up good very fast.

I have run into bears quite a few times and couple times I was ready to defend myself, but noise was enough to scare them. But those been black bears, not grizzly.

I have no intention to find out if 10mm will be enough.

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 22:36 Quote
leverfingers wrote:
Yep, I’ve heard of some bears like that. A few guys I work with hunt elk up on the Muskwa River near Ft Nelson each year. They say that when a gun is fired, it’s like a dinner bell for the grizzlies. The f*ckers just start rolling in for a meal. You’ve got a limited time to get the meat out and back to the jet boat. No quads or side by sides either, just packin meat on your back through the bush to the boat. And they’ve had to leave plenty behind over the years.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 22:56 Quote
Axxe wrote:

I have run into bears quite a few times and couple times I was ready to defend myself, but noise was enough to scare them. But those been black bears, not grizzly.

Spoiler alert... It won't be.

The few times I've had bear encounters I just ignore em, let them do their thing and they let me do mine. The last thing I want to intentionally do is scare an apex predator and provoke a fight or flight response.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 23:00 Quote
urinalmint wrote:
leverfingers wrote:
Yep, I’ve heard of some bears like that. A few guys I work with hunt elk up on the Muskwa River near Ft Nelson each year. They say that when a gun is fired, it’s like a dinner bell for the grizzlies. The f*ckers just start rolling in for a meal. You’ve got a limited time to get the meat out and back to the jet boat. No quads or side by sides either, just packin meat on your back through the bush to the boat. And they’ve had to leave plenty behind over the years.
Yeah, it's not the gunshot bringing them in. A Grizzly can smell blood, especially a fresh carcass, up to 20 miles away. They're not after hunters, they're after their game. Same with fishing, that's why you always keep your catch on a stringer in the water... leaving fish on the banks will draw them in.

O+
Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 23:39 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
urinalmint wrote:
leverfingers wrote:
Yeah, it's not the gunshot bringing them in. A Grizzly can smell blood, especially a fresh carcass, up to 20 miles away. They're not after hunters, they're after their game. Same with fishing, that's why you always keep your catch on a stringer in the water... leaving fish on the banks will draw them in.
Regardless, I’ll pass on hiking with a meat sweater on in grizzly territory!!

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 0:50 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Axxe wrote:

Spoiler alert... It won't be.

The few times I've had bear encounters I just ignore em, let them do their thing and they let me do mine. The last thing I want to intentionally do is scare an apex predator and provoke a fight or flight response.

Statistics of defensive handgun use against bears is not that bad at all. Today’s story by random chance: https://www.ammoland.com/2019/10/alaskans-stop-grizzly-bear-charge-with-glock-10mm-on-elmendorf-richardson/#axzz627kUIYot

Ignoring them though is a great option. Hard to do though when f*ckers are after your buck you returned to haul out.

My closest encounter when we spooked each other in some windy and rainy weather.

But yeah. Whatever. More dangerous to drive home. By a lot.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 2:05 Quote
That story sounds like 100% luck and 50% bullshit... that shot, punching through a lung and severing the spine is 1:1000000 and there's somewhere slightly above zero chance that an 850lb grizzly at full charge 10yds away doesn't still manage to crush you just on built up momentum. That's a hell of a story either way.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 2:30 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
That story sounds like 100% luck and 50% bullshit... that shot, punching through a lung and severing the spine is 1:1000000 and there's somewhere slightly above zero chance that an 850lb grizzly at full charge 10yds away doesn't still manage to crush you just on built up momentum. That's a hell of a story either way.

Yeah. But more serious compilations of defensive handgun use had been fairly positive. It is most certainly not a bunny fart. Especially for black bears, who can be weird motherf*ckers.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.070232
Mobile Version of Website