Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 8:28 Quote
i know some hunters who will swear that the bears who have stolen their kills come in way too fast to say that its anything other than hearing the shot. but their sense of smell is the best of any land mammal. either way, scary. pack your meat quick. giggity.

when my wife and i paddled the yukon river for twelve days i developed a very healthy, functionally traumatic fear of grizzly bears. i'll never set foot in that territory without firearms again.

my cousin chris is a geologist on Axxel Heiberg island, right beside ellesmere island, and they arent allowed to leave base camp without shotguns. he's been hunted by polar bears enough that every family gathering includes "chris almost dies" stories. just this summer had his "worst scare" while collecting core samples when he got encircled by wolves out in the field.

good bear fight from last month in BC. check out the wolf in the background. just look at the power in these motherf*ckers.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 9:21 Quote
Oh yeah. Polar bears definitely have humans on the menu. But Leroy was talking about black and brown bears.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 11:32 Quote
Scariest encounter of my life was in Bellingham Washington... came face to face with a Sterling Magnum... the thing had mitts the size of my torso!!!! Trust me... do not want to get swatted by sterling!

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 11:33 Quote
Happy turkey weekend canucks!!!

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 12:06 Quote
obee1 wrote:
i know some hunters who will swear that the bears who have stolen their kills come in way too fast to say that its anything other than hearing the shot. but their sense of smell is the best of any land mammal. either way, scary. pack your meat quick. giggity.

when my wife and i paddled the yukon river for twelve days i developed a very healthy, functionally traumatic fear of grizzly bears. i'll never set foot in that territory without firearms again.

my cousin chris is a geologist on Axxel Heiberg island, right beside ellesmere island, and they arent allowed to leave base camp without shotguns. he's been hunted by polar bears enough that every family gathering includes "chris almost dies" stories. just this summer had his "worst scare" while collecting core samples when he got encircled by wolves out in the field.

good bear fight from last month in BC. check out the wolf in the background. just look at the power in these motherf*ckers.
The youngster got put in his place there! I f*cking love bears, scary powerful but majestic as f*ck.

I think people assume it's the sound of the shot because we tend to perceive everything based on our senses, of which smell is virtually nonexistent. For a bear, smelling fresh blood from a downed carcass is MUCH more vivid than the boom of a gunshot. It's more vivid than visually seeing a downed carcass... for a bear, smelling a carcass miles away is on par with the resolution we experience sitting ten feet away from an UHD TV at 4k resolution.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 12:46 Quote
f*ckers can indeed smell for miles.

I bought a gigantic Kifaru pack so I can get most meat out in one hike. I rarely hunt, and not always successfully, but I like to get very deep into the woods.
I also always buy a bear tag, so that there are no questions. And obviously my first choice would be my deer and pig gun - .308 FN FNAR Competition, not Glock with KKM barrel (or 627 VComp revolver that I also carry on occasion)

Theoretical discussion though. I have no idea what would happen if I am actually attacked, but would rather have options than not. I carry pepper spray too, but only two shot Kimber pepper blaster thingy. I actually used it once on a stray dog that was somewhat disturbed. I sometimes carry it in my bike jersey pocket when riding alone.

Posted: Oct 12, 2019 at 12:51 Quote
What I am also surprised how far can turkeys hear. I use a couple of pot calls, and I had toms come to me from like half a mile away, while I would not hear this thing from around a bush.

And they can see as well as I can in my 8x Zeiss. Or better.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 14:34 Quote
f*ck turkeys. Those @ocksuckers. f*cking f*ckers.

We are fall Turkey hunting here and it's more frustrating than spring if that's f*cking possible.

f*ck you a*shole swamp chickens.

Rant over

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 16:20 Quote
whoadragon wrote:
f*ck!
Lol, I'm not sure if I should tell you but I'm going to anyway, the turkeys here wander around town every where. Worse than the deer. There's a herd behind my place of about 30.

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 16:32 Quote
Who here had done custom shimstack tuning?

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 16:49 Quote
d-man wrote:
whoadragon wrote:
f*ck!
Lol, I'm not sure if I should tell you but I'm going to anyway, the turkeys here wander around town every where. Worse than the deer. There's a herd behind my place of about 30.

They are always where you are not allowed to shoot them.

Got red dot on my Beretta A400. Will get those f*ckers.

But yesterday’s attempt to look for some deer near highway 4 was a waste of time. Need to hike way further out to have a chance on public lands. Had to head back. :/

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 16:56 Quote
Only 1,200 missed posts!! How you f*ckers been?

Posted: Oct 13, 2019 at 17:14 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Only 1,200 missed posts!! How you f*ckers been?
Mostly dead.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021523
Mobile Version of Website