Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 7:06 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
husstler wrote:
Had to put my dog down today. She went from the picture of health to complete shutdown of major systems in two days.

Only nine years old too. We rescued her from people that abandoned her in an apartment for almost a month. Needless to say she was a basket case for her entire life, as much as we tried to make her confident and relaxed. But still, always gentle with my kids and anyone that was "one of us".

That was a good dog, guys. I'll miss her.
Sorry to hear friend, losing a pet can be very hard. Same thing happened with my exes did at 2 years old.

Thanks for rescuing her! She must have known that she had found her forever people when you took her home.

Very sorry for your loss. 9 isn't all that old. My border collie is 9 as well.

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 7:42 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
husstler wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

f*ck bro, really sorry for your loss. That's hard. Any idea if she got into something toxic like onions or grapes or sago seeds?

Nothing toxic, and the vet said it didn't seem like that either.

Its eerily quiet in the house. I'm expecting a snout to let me know its time to let her out.

Thanks boys. This dog was a lot of work, but she was worth it
Also which vet do you go to?

We were going to the Cochrane Animal Clinic in town here for little stuff and the Nanton vet for higher price stuff.

Figures that if you have a sick dog out of nowhere it's on a long weekend so that trip was to the animal hospital on 4 st.

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 7:46 Quote
billbek wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
husstler wrote:
Had to put my dog down today. She went from the picture of health to complete shutdown of major systems in two days.

Only nine years old too. We rescued her from people that abandoned her in an apartment for almost a month. Needless to say she was a basket case for her entire life, as much as we tried to make her confident and relaxed. But still, always gentle with my kids and anyone that was "one of us".

That was a good dog, guys. I'll miss her.
Sorry to hear friend, losing a pet can be very hard. Same thing happened with my exes did at 2 years old.

Thanks for rescuing her! She must have known that she had found her forever people when you took her home.

Very sorry for your loss. 9 isn't all that old. My border collie is 9 as well.

She was a complete disaster at first. There are two kinds of rescue animals. One, is where people are moving and cant bring their otherwise well cared for pet. The second (which we got) is when animal control needs to get a warrant and go "save" an animal from an abusive situation.

The amount of psychological torment an animal like the second class had to endure to get rescued is immense. I'm not sure if animals can have PTSD, but if they can she did.

Definitely a tough road. It's almost a relief her anxiety is finished.

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 8:22 Quote
Anxiety and stress is a killer. It takes years from our lives as well.
It takes a lot of courage to take on a project like that. And time. Lots of time.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 12:23 Quote
o.k. using use guys to help me talk myself through some stuff.

I need to get rid of my Remedy. It's not selling. I don't want to dump a bunch of money into a bike I'm gonna sell but here are some options.

Bike's damn near perfect condition. Rips as is but no one seems to want a 27.5 Trek around here. Even at the price of the framset alone with $5k in parts. So here's where my brains going.

Mullet the bike. That would require me being a new carbon front wheel and having an extra wheel floating around... could sell it with the bike with a 27.5 fork so whoever buys it gets both. Sell it for $4k that way. But I gotta go spent more money. It'll be fun as shit to ride that way while I have it though.

2. I picked up a Chameleon to build up. Was going to run it as a 27.5 bike then realized it'll have to be a plus bike if I do that so I was gonna mullet that bike. So take my time building this bike and run it as a 140 mullet chameleon.

3. Take all my stuff off my Remedy and put it on my chameleon. Buy some big ass tires and run it as a 27.5 kinda plus bike. 2.6's or 2.8's. I could have my remedy built super fast if I do that. If I do that I'd sell my Remedy as a builder bike.

So... if I do option 3 I'd have a 27.5 kinda plus Chameleon to ride and I'd sell my Remedy. Question is... for how much. Thinking something like this...

2018 Carbon Remedy. Size Large with bottom bracket and headset.
Raceface turbine R stem with knock block adapter.
FOX Factory 36.
FOX Factory DPX2.
Spare Rock Shox shock. Brand new zero miles.
FOX Factory Transfer 125mm.
Deity Red/black saddle.

Sell all that for $2700. I'd even toss in my tires and grips.

Think that's reasonable?

Then I'd keep my NextR wheels, cranks and bars for the chameleon. My Brakes and my drivetrain. Grips/Pedals.

The only thing I'd have to buy for my Chameleon to be complete would be a headset, bottom bracket, stem, saddle.Tires. Think I have a bottom bracket already. Have grips.

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 13:50 Quote
I think if a bike (a complete awesome bike) is used... it is very difficult to sell for anything over $3000 cdn.

A friend had been trying to sell a brand new 2019 never ridden custom upgraded session since spring for $4800 cdn and couldn’t get it to move. Not sure if she’s even managed to dump it yet.

WE value our investments in our bikes but nobody else does.

Bend over now or bend over more later.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 13:53 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
I think if a bike (a complete awesome bike) is used... it is very difficult to sell for anything over $3000 cdn.

A friend had been trying to sell a brand new 2019 never ridden custom upgraded session since spring for $4800 cdn and couldn’t get it to move. Not sure if she’s even managed to dump it yet.

WE value our investments in our bikes but nobody else does.

Bend over now or bend over more later.
I find Enduro bikes don't sided from this nearly as much as she bikes do.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 14:00 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
o.k. using use guys to help me talk myself through some stuff.

I need to get rid of my Remedy. It's not selling. I don't want to dump a bunch of money into a bike I'm gonna sell but here are some options.

Bike's damn near perfect condition. Rips as is but no one seems to want a 27.5 Trek around here. Even at the price of the framset alone with $5k in parts. So here's where my brains going.

Mullet the bike. That would require me being a new carbon front wheel and having an extra wheel floating around... could sell it with the bike with a 27.5 fork so whoever buys it gets both. Sell it for $4k that way. But I gotta go spent more money. It'll be fun as shit to ride that way while I have it though.

2. I picked up a Chameleon to build up. Was going to run it as a 27.5 bike then realized it'll have to be a plus bike if I do that so I was gonna mullet that bike. So take my time building this bike and run it as a 140 mullet chameleon.

3. Take all my stuff off my Remedy and put it on my chameleon. Buy some big ass tires and run it as a 27.5 kinda plus bike. 2.6's or 2.8's. I could have my remedy built super fast if I do that. If I do that I'd sell my Remedy as a builder bike.

So... if I do option 3 I'd have a 27.5 kinda plus Chameleon to ride and I'd sell my Remedy. Question is... for how much. Thinking something like this...

2018 Carbon Remedy. Size Large with bottom bracket and headset.
Raceface turbine R stem with knock block adapter.
FOX Factory 36.
FOX Factory DPX2.
Spare Rock Shox shock. Brand new zero miles.
FOX Factory Transfer 125mm.
Deity Red/black saddle.

Sell all that for $2700. I'd even toss in my tires and grips.

Think that's reasonable?

Then I'd keep my NextR wheels, cranks and bars for the chameleon. My Brakes and my drivetrain. Grips/Pedals.

The only thing I'd have to buy for my Chameleon to be complete would be a headset, bottom bracket, stem, saddle.Tires. Think I have a bottom bracket already. Have grips.
Have you tried Ebay? Honestly, as big as pinkbike is it's a tiny audience comparatively speaking. Before going crazy trying to get it sold here I'd definitely suggest going that route.

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 14:03 Quote
Facebook community buy sell trade pages seem to work better than PB as well

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 14:04 Quote
husstler wrote:
Nothing toxic, and the vet said it didn't seem like that either.

Its eerily quiet in the house. I'm expecting a snout to let me know its time to let her out.

Thanks boys. This dog was a lot of work, but she was worth it
f*ck man, that's really hard. Gideon is only six and I'm already dreading the day his big ol goofy face isn't waking me up in the morning. Good on you taking her in and I hope you do it again when you're ready. Best way we can honor the good dogs we've had is to open up for the ones still out there in need of a home.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 14:15 Quote
Option 3
Take the parts you can use and throw them on the Chamaeleon. Run it with 2.6 tires max, wider tires get all squirrelly when driving it hard in corners. Speak from experience on this one.
Then bend over and sell the frame and parts you can’t use for what you can get.
Reality is if you don’t follow the trends and hold onto bikes for more than 2 years you will never get what you feel they are worth.
27.5 tires became a thing, sold my 26” Devinci Dixon right away.
Boost was becoming a thing, sold my HD3 right away.
29” insurgence and new 29 Slayer dropping this fall, sold my 27.5 one in the spring for decent money. As much as we all know there’s absolutely nothing wrong with our current ride when it comes time to sell buyers will always look at the newest bits first.
Don’t get too attached to any possession, just flip it and move on.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 14:24 Quote
Sorry about your dog Hustler. I’ve been through losing pets numerous times and it always sucks hard. Fine today gone tomorrow is more common than most think when it comes to pets.
Death of a furry friend is always hard but the time spent here with us is worth some hurt at the end. As far as I’m concerned anyway. Remember those great life moments, not how they went.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 14:29 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Boost was becoming a thing
This is why I got rid of my Nomad... loved that bike but damn new standards. Confused

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 14:37 Quote
Sorry to hear about your pup Brett. I feel your pain. I know it doesn't make it any easier but she was really lucky to be a part of your family, even if it wasn't a long time.

onemanarmy, like shred said, I'd just take the hit now, sell now instead of losing more money later. The price will just keep dropping as we get into winter and more 2020 models coming out. I've been watching a pimped out Carbon Sentinel in the buy & sell and the poor guy has dropped the thing $1200 in the last month. And...I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger on it. There's just so many good deals out there and I may just go the new complete bike route. Pretty tough used market right now.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 at 15:30 Quote
It's been up on facebook for awhile. No traction at all. Thinking I might need to find a new place to post it within facebook marketplace?

mtnmanjake wrote:
Facebook community buy sell trade pages seem to work better than PB as well

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.054955
Mobile Version of Website