Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 5:45 Quote
So I don't know if this is the right tread to put this. But I just want to have my say and see if anyone actually agree's with me. This is about mountain bikes in general of all sorts. But I am primarily a downhill rider. 28 years old and riding since I could walk lol. So hardly old school. But I like my downhill bikes pure. I have a 2009 santa cruz V10 alloy. And around 2012 intense M9.

I am just concerned about the direction that newer bikes are going in. Everything bigger wheels and all manufactures care about is making E bikes because that's where the big money is now.

I'm sure it's great if many more people start riding who otherwise wouldn't. Also more environmental if people start riding E bikes instead of driving. But I don't like how they are forgetting the roots of downhill.

I went riding with my cousin and some friends last month. And most of them on E bikes. So easily amused with flying up and down some pretty boring hill. I'm not going to spend 3-5k on an E bike just so that we can all ride together.

So if anything this divides the community. I'm sure there's a good place for them. But if literally everyone converts to riding E bikes it's not gona be a good thing.

And now there's all the hype over these E moto bikes. That have downhill forks. And wheels / tyres only fractionally bigger than a DH bike. So without a doubt people will be tearing up all the downhill tracks on them unless there's people to stop it happening.

It's just catering to the casual riders. Then it's trending and the whole industry follows. It's the sort of thing that happens in certain video games right before their demise. You have to keep it pure at the sharp end otherwise it'll be the end of an era. And ( When you go to your local bike shops and they are almost in shock to see a 26 wheel bike ) That's only 4-5 years old.. I'll never swap to a big wheel bike. not 27.5 and hell no 29s. I've ridden a few and it's actually awful. Maybe you get a bit more traction. But they feel like a boat. Just learn to ride! It's not worth the trade off to lose the agility and nimbleness of a 26 bike for clown wheels and a mountain bike as heavy as a harley davidson.

I feel bad for some new riders who've only ridden 29s and E bikes. They've never felt that pure performance you get from 26's when your going down some twisty downhill. Who cares if you have to push your bike back up. Going down is all that matters. If your a real rider you'll understand what I mean.

Then carbon fiber frames... If it comes with a long guarantee sure... But I don't see how an average rider can spend all their savings on something that could just brake when you crash. I've had over 20 bikes and most of them had a couple dents in. if they were carbon they would all be scrap by now.

And that every couple years they are changing the tech, wheel detentions ect. It just seems like a way to rise our money and make a 2 year old bike become old tech. Like something apple would do. It makes older bikes lose their value too.

Sorry to rant, I guess I'm a boomer now -.- But when you see the new rockshox boxxers ultimates and pikes, And seriously considering to buy them, but then they tell you they don't come in 26 inch wheels or 1.1/8 steerer it's a sad day.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 6:24 Quote
Well Tom I think you really need to get out of your mom's basement more cause You have no idea what you're talking about.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 6:26 Quote
@TomMack, I don't think you'll get much love from this group with that rant. I will never ride a 26in wheeled bike outside of a dj again by choice, not because they are going away but because I love my 29er. I made the switch years ago as an early adopter, they sucked back then but you could see the benefits coming through. I made the decision to hold out and build nothing but 29ers since then and watched the wagon wheels improve so much i struggle to ride the smaller wheels. I am faster on it than any 26in wheel bike I have ever owned, I jump better on it, I ride more technical trails on them and quite frankly have far more fun on them. So much so, I have two bikes 1 dj being built right now (which is a pain in the ass to get parts for...) and my quiver killer 29er enduro bike.

As for E-Bikes, sign me up! I cannot wait to try the a long travel e-bike, they look like a ton of fun. the Remote 160 is calling me to give it a go (even with the 27.5 wheels...).

Everything progresses from the beginnings, like many on here this forum I have been riding MTB since its infancy (for me it was the early 90's). We have lived through the era of no suspension, cantilever brakes, shitty drivetrains and honestly scary bikes. I remember when 12 speeds were a thing, 2x6 gearing! I welcome the progression that has come along, every year I get excited to see what is coming and where the bike world is headed. Sometimes getting grumpy with new standards (looking at you Boost and DUB), but I also realize that in the long run it is to ultimately make the ride better.

In the long run though, ride what you have... While I am stating my opinion above, it is just that an opinion. You do you, 26in wheel bikes, e-bikes, 29ers, fat bike, road bike.... ride a bike, have fun.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 6:27 Quote
d-man wrote:
Well Tom I think you really need to get out of your mom's basement more cause You have no idea what you're talking about.

He probably has a black light down there, lord knows you don't want to turn it on....

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 6:34 Quote
26 for life and why bother with an ebike when you can get a gas one that goes way faster. Maybe Im missing the point. The rest of the rant is about 3 years over due though, Carbon has proven itself as I have broke more welds on metal bikes and so far the only carbon frame i have broke i really deserved it.

Life is good with me. On POF and there are some pretty nice ladies there. If anyone is ever in the loops RIO is back to its bad ass self. I actually think its better than it was. Thanks for the heads up Crisco.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 6:34 Quote
TomMack wrote:
TL;DR

Are any of these changes going to stop me from getting out into the countryside, enjoying the views and benefits of the exercise, curtail meeting rad new people and making more memories with my riding mates?

If yes, then I agree. If not...

...don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 6:49 Quote
Shut the f*ck up Tommy, you're out of your element

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 6:52 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Shut the f*ck up Tommy, you're out of your element

YOURE OUT OF YOUR f*ckING ELEMENT TOMMY!

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 7:55 Quote
That's just like, your opinion maaaaaaan.

I think that tommy was just innocently searching for some confirmation bias, and what better an avenue to take if you want to lament about the good old days than the road filled with crusty old buggers. Sadly, the echo chamber he was hoping to settle into is chock full of guys who have literally, if you consider repack rider, been in mtb riding since its creation. So we've embraced every chapter of the mtb chronicles, and the new ones like CF. and e bikes are just more of the March of progress. Or the roll of progress. Or whatever.
All I know is that it's been a long day and I hate the f*cking Eagles maaaan.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 8:56 Quote
d-man wrote:

This^
I’m not sure why you have such a need to cling to “the way it was” in the 90’s. It was cool at the time but it’s over now. No one sits around reminiscing about there old CRT TV. They’ve moved on. Bigger wheel, modern geo bikes are good now. Plus E-bike shuttling in DH areas is the future when a group ride isn’t possible. Total E-bike weights just need to come down so you can throw them around not just plow.
I’m sorry you cousins are lame and like to ride lame areas. Once E-bikes get down around 43-45lbs I will shuttle the $hit out of real DH areas with one. Plus I’ll pedal up all the hike-a-bike $hit parts on so call DH trails too. You can get off and push 26er.
Stop living in the past Tommy boy. It’s only glorious in your mind.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 9:40 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
26 for life and why bother with an ebike when you can get a gas one that goes way faster. Maybe Im missing the point. The rest of the rant is about 3 years over due though, Carbon has proven itself as I have broke more welds on metal bikes and so far the only carbon frame i have broke i really deserved it.

Life is good with me. On POF and there are some pretty nice ladies there. If anyone is ever in the loops RIO is back to its bad ass self. I actually think its better than it was. Thanks for the heads up Crisco.

I have a KTM, I have an enduro.. Since my ebike showed up, I have only ridden my Enduro when riding with others. And I haven't ridden my KTM.. All the moto trails that were fun to climb on the KTM, I can climb on my turbo, granted lungs are blowing up, but still.. And then I get 2-3 laps in on trails that I would only get 1 lap in on the Enduro..

2 weeks ago, I did 15k feet of climbing and descending in 2 days on my ebike. Couldn't have done that on my Enduro.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 9:44 Quote
Where’s gnar been??

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 9:46 Quote
TomMack wrote:
Snip .

You really should convert your M9 to 27.5.. Mine got so much more fun, and fast. My 26" bikes in pro class at DH races was lacking..
Intense M9 27.5 Industry 9 Grade wheels RS Boxxer Saint Cranks XT Brake levers on Zee calipers Race face SIXc 35mm carbon bar Saint shifter Saint Derailleur Rev Grips.

Also... Ebike content, because they are kick ass..

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 9:49 Quote
I owned that generation 26" M9 and I've ridden the M29... the M29 is faster, period full stop. The big wheel hate just isn't justified anymore. They've got geometry dialed and modern carbon wheels are stiff enough that the wagon wheels aren't a drawback anymore. 27.5 now is better than 26 ever was and 29 is really killer in a lot of applications.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 10:08 Quote
This year I have bought new ski boots. The kind of boots that are going to be attached to my skis at the toe and at the heel.

Some people got very angry about this. Others will welcome me to the NOT free heel world.

Those that are angry are afraid of the ass kicking that is coming, because now skiing will be about 1,000 times less effort for me. The others are jealous that I will have two types of fun at my disposal. I mean, I'm not chucking out the old ride.

But yeah, that "pure" feeling of the old days is really all in your head.

JUST HAVE FUN ON YOUR BIKE TOM!!!

What ever that ride may be.

Active Forum Threads
9 mins ago - 2019 Stumpjumper Evo
21 mins ago - Canyon Owners Club
25 mins ago - Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
1 hours ago - Kona Process 153 vs Ibis Ripmo AF: Which is Better For Beginners?
2 hours ago - The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
2 hours ago - Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
3 hours ago - Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!
4 hours ago - Greece for enduro riding in winter
4 hours ago - 2020 - SantaCruz Tallboy Carbon vs Canyon Neuron CF 9.0 SL
5 hours ago - Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
6 hours ago - Trail Conditions for Calgarians
6 hours ago - Post your Propain!
6 hours ago - How should I go about custom painting my fork?
6 hours ago - Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
6 hours ago - Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
6 hours ago - Trailforks.com Bug Reports
6 hours ago - I really want my bike back....
7 hours ago - [STOLEN BIKES] Post Your Stolen Bike Ad Here (U.S.A/Canada/South America Only)
7 hours ago - Official Vernon Riders Thread
8 hours ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
8 hours ago - Better cable routing grommets - 2019 Capra AL
8 hours ago - Banshee Bikes, NS Bikes, YT Industries Bikes and Ragley Bikes need their own manufacturer forum on Pinkbike
8 hours ago - Show your all mountain bike
8 hours ago - Motobecane Hal Boost: Anyone Riding a BD Bike?
8 hours ago - Best Do it all Bike

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029631
Mobile Version of Website