Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 10:29 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
I owned that generation 26" M9 and I've ridden the M29... the M29 is faster, period full stop. The big wheel hate just isn't justified anymore. They've got geometry dialed and modern carbon wheels are stiff enough that the wagon wheels aren't a drawback anymore. 27.5 now is better than 26 ever was and 29 is really killer in a lot of applications.

Kavorik let me kick around on his M29 and offered it to me for my seeding run as he was riding my M1.. But fricken moto style brake on his maguras made it not a good idea, he was able to flip my codes easily. I was really excited to try though.

This M9 is way faster than my M1s ever were with all my weird offset headsets, shock bushings and other geo tweeks. I can only imagine the M29 is another huge step.. His medium M29 was 7 inches longer than my large M1. I am considering selling my Enduro and M9 for a M29 next year.. But buying a new DH bike for 2 races a year is hard to justify when I built up the M9 for like 900 bucks.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 10:48 Quote
Yeah, there's no way I could justify owning a DH bike for how little I would ride it at this point. I do miss my M9 though.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 10:58 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Yeah, there's no way I could justify owning a DH bike for how little I would ride it at this point. I do miss my M9 though.

Yep.. In my mind the Enduro 29 and M9 together make more sense than a M29. Even with the fact I have a season pass at Silver Mt and ride 30ish days a year there.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 11:11 Quote
The Aurum 29 I rode at Silver Star this summer was an absolute blast. Still thinking about that thing. But the nearest bike park is five hours away so it's going to have to wait.

Anybody have any thoughts on Guerrilla Gravity? Specifically the Smash? Might pull the trigger on a frame after Xmas if all goes according to plan. Then do the shred style build on it.

Ya, I know Tom, it's carbon..and worse, a 29er. Probably sucks to ride too. All clunky, awkward and shit. Oh well.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 11:23 Quote
urinalmint wrote:
The Aurum 29 I rode at Silver Star this summer was an absolute blast. Still thinking about that thing. But the nearest bike park is five hours away so it's going to have to wait.

Anybody have any thoughts on Guerrilla Gravity? Specifically the Smash? Might pull the trigger on a frame after Xmas if all goes according to plan. Then do the shred style build on it.

Ya, I know Tom, it's carbon..and worse, a 29er. Probably sucks to ride too. All clunky, awkward and shit. Oh well.

Buddy has a Supreme 29 in XL and I absolutely want it.. No other 29 DH bike actually feels like it fits me at 6'3. But mail order bike and I work at a bike shop.

Few guys in the enduro thread have had GG bikes and have been really stoked on them.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 11:51 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Yeah. It's kind of a catch 22 for these bike companies. They're making their 160-180 bikes so amazing at handling and so efficient at climbing.... true do all bikes... it actually hurts DH sales. Only people that should be buying DH bikes these days are park sluts.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 11:55 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Yeah. It's kind of a catch 22 for these bike companies. They're making their 160-180 bikes so amazing at handling and so efficient at climbing.... true do all bikes... it actually hurts DH sales. Only people that should be buying DH bikes these days are park sluts.

Even then.. I ride park 30+ days a year, and 75% of those days are on my Enduro 29 and not the M9.. I only rode the DH bike 4 days at the park this year..

There are only 2-3 trails on the hill where the DH bike is more fun. Our average flow trail and even lots of the tech trails that are tighter and slower are more fun on a built 160-180mm bike compared to the DH bike.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 11:57 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
urinalmint wrote:

Buddy has a Supreme 29 in XL and I absolutely want it.. No other 29 DH bike actually feels like it fits me at 6'3. But mail order bike and I work at a bike shop.

Few guys in the enduro thread have had GG bikes and have been really stoked on them.
Thx. I’ve been emailing back and forth with a guy at GG and he’s been great. All the reviews I’ve seen are really positive too.

The size thing on 29ers is legit for you tall guys for sure, but, I’m only 5’10. I rode both bikes, the 27.5 and the 29 HSP, a week apart on the same trails. I rode the 27.5 after the 29. It felt slower and not as stable as I guess I was expecting. I was pedalling in on the 27.5 to make the same trannys that I was coasting in on while on the 29. And the 29 didn’t feel different at all in the corners to me. I’ll be picking a 29 DH bike up at some point for sure. Not totally sure which one yet though.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 12:22 Quote
Park slut here... cuz you know... Silver Star. You guys know I bought a 27.5” DH bike this past season. It’s a blast but part of me kind of wishes it had the big wheel when the trail sections get flat-ish. So much less effort to maintain speed before the next pitch downward. That said the sensible side of me says... it’s paid for... just ride it.

Ride any size wheel you want people. Stop complaining about what others are doing or how things have changed. Lever is bang on. They’re all just tools for fun. Go have it. \m/

Final day a Silver Star 2019.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 12:36 Quote
Poor guy stepped into the mean old bastards lair... ride whatcha got and yank on your unlubricated willie you see stars!

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 13:55 Quote
urinalmint wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
urinalmint wrote:

Thx. I’ve been emailing back and forth with a guy at GG and he’s been great. All the reviews I’ve seen are really positive too.

The size thing on 29ers is legit for you tall guys for sure, but, I’m only 5’10. I rode both bikes, the 27.5 and the 29 HSP, a week apart on the same trails. I rode the 27.5 after the 29. It felt slower and not as stable as I guess I was expecting. I was pedalling in on the 27.5 to make the same trannys that I was coasting in on while on the 29. And the 29 didn’t feel different at all in the corners to me. I’ll be picking a 29 DH bike up at some point for sure. Not totally sure which one yet though.

I'm a big supporter of 27.5. I need more time on 29's to really go one way or the other. But I truly love 27.5 for trail riding. And so far I've loved mullet set ups. Saying that... my next 1 or 2 bikes will be 29's after I build my stupid chameleon at 27.5.... temporarily.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 14:17 Quote
leverfingers wrote:
This year I have bought new ski boots. The kind of boots that are going to be attached to my skis at the toe and at the heel.

Some people got very angry about this. Others will welcome me to the NOT free heel world.

Those that are angry are afraid of the ass kicking that is coming, because now skiing will be about 1,000 times less effort for me. The others are jealous that I will have two types of fun at my disposal. I mean, I'm not chucking out the old ride.

But yeah, that "pure" feeling of the old days is really all in your head.

JUST HAVE FUN ON YOUR BIKE TOM!!!

What ever that ride may be.

Ha!
This strikes me as funny as my brother-in-law is known to ski more tele than fixed heel. Back when I was skiing regularly he would tell me...
Free the heel, free the mind.
I always replied...
Fix the heel, fix the problem.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 16:50 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Poor guy stepped into the mean old bastards lair... ride whatcha got and yank on your unlubricated willie you see stars!

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 17:04 Quote
Tis the season to be warm and fuzzy

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 17:07 Quote
Oh my. I just got introduced to Japanese whiskey... where have I been? I am blown away with the smoothness and belly warming... next trip across the border I’ll be picking up a few new bottles.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029042
Mobile Version of Website