Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 7:52 Quote
TomMack wrote:
Sorry but I disagree with most of you. No need to get offensive.

26's aren't from just the 90's. Mountain bikes began with them almost 100 years ago.

Can't really say I don't know what I'm talking about or that I'm "out my element" When I've been riding 20 years and ridden over 100 bikes.

For me it's just as much about the bikes themselves than the actual riding. Just like custom bike builders or car tuners.

I just prefer to ride with accuracy and risk than just plow over everything because it's a bit faster.

I'm entitled to have my own opinion. Just thought maybe some riders here still like 26's I guess not...

If this is all old news my bad. had some years off the bike.

Sorry if you are triggered. Have a nice day Smile

ok put that into your pipe!
I'm a downhiller, a trail builder and I ride an ebike
I sold my 26 inch wheel DH bike last spring why? I got a smoking deal on a 2016 Trek Session 9.9 and it is also 5 pounds lighter than my previous DH.
I had a 29er trail bike when I was living in Fernie and the trails there require a very capable machine. There are tech climbs that I have only been able to make on my 29er and never on my 26 inch bike.

technology is a good thing, too many changes in standards etc really sucks but I will take the improvements over previous standard

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 7:56 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
TomMack wrote:
I'm entitled
Literally the only accurate thing you've said so far...

Kids these days...

Yo! I be one of those millennials.. But I don't share much with my generation to be honest.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 8:00 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Kids these days...

Yo! I be one of those millennials.. But I don't share much with my generation to be honest.

I'm not worried about you Swan... You ride an e-bike.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 8:12 Quote
TomMack wrote:

26's aren't from just the 90's. Mountain bikes began with them almost 100 years ago.

Can't really say I don't know what I'm talking about or that I'm "out my element" When I've been riding 20 years and ridden over 100 bikes.

For me it's just as much about the bikes themselves than the actual riding. Just like custom bike builders or car tuners.

I just prefer to ride with accuracy and risk than just plow over everything because it's a bit faster.

I'm entitled to have my own opinion. Just thought maybe some riders here still like 26's I guess not...

I’ll just chime in with my own experience cause thats all I know. I got into mtb late within the last ten years aside of some early 90’s dabbling but at the time I rode moto and thought fully rigid mtbs were lacking in many ways... ff into my 30’s and I started noticing higher tech bikes on cars and thought to revisit as moto got hard to get away to trails with newborn babies. Rode many 26” bikes and fell in love. As I progressed as a rider the bikes were doing the same. The first 29’r I rode was a joke. Salsa horse thief. It sucked. Played with 27.5 for a couple years and then the 29” bikes caught up geo wise and as a whole package. Being 46 this year I can appreciate the help in traction, roll over and speed they offer. But I recently picked up a 26” dj bike and am loving that too. If money were no object I would have a bunch of different stuff, 26” DH included, as well as all three hardtail flavors. Different strokes for different folks as they say and there are too many choices to discard any one option depending on what /where you ride and how. I’m not aware of any company actively developing a newer long, low, slack geo 26” bike of any discipline, it would be interesting to see how that panned out /felt, on the trails. 2 cents.....

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 8:13 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

Kids these days...

Except no handed climbing road weelies.... wierdo

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 8:23 Quote
Tommy you are out of your element!!!!
f*ck buds if you don’t get that reference then keep trucking your 26” to the next page . Lol

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 8:28 Quote
Also there is no moderator up in this bitch, so these old dogs can get triggered, pissed off, mad at each other or get offended.
We deal with it!

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 8:38 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:

Kids these days...

Except no handed climbing road weelies.... wierdo

I don't share that skill with many across any generation.. Lol.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 8:56 Quote
Ok good cause I felt left out.... like all I was getting for the day was a participation trophy

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 9:01 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Ok good cause I felt left out.... like all I was getting for the day was a participation trophy

Don't worry.. I raced a SS CX race this weekend and the only thing I was was a moving obsticle for the real racers.. I had my gearing so wrong my average cadence was 38rpm.. Lol

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 9:02 Quote
Did you check out the Marin Rift Zone Carbon? Looking forward to swinging a leg over that rocket ship!

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 9:08 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

Don't worry.. I raced a SS CX race this weekend and the only thing I was was a moving obsticle for the real racers.. I had my gearing so wrong my average cadence was 38rpm.. Lol

Oh my

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 9:39 Quote
TomMack wrote:

Wuh? Who are you?

Not really the best way to drop into a conversation.

26 has its place. Pump tracks and DJ sets. Other than that... you're missing out. If you don't like the wagon wheel plowing of 29's ride a 27.5. It's so much better than 26 it's not even funny. And beyond that... product support. There's very little product support for 26. So why fight it when there is for 27.5 and it's better?

Side note... been riding bikes a hell of a lot longer than 20 years. Hell my freaking hard tail in my garage is 19 years old.

Time really doesn't mean everything. I know kids that have been riding for 4-5 years that ride circles on me and know a hell of a lot more than I do.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 9:40 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
TomMack wrote:

I’ll just chime in with my own experience cause thats all I know. I got into mtb late within the last ten years aside of some early 90’s dabbling but at the time I rode moto and thought fully rigid mtbs were lacking in many ways... ff into my 30’s and I started noticing higher tech bikes on cars and thought to revisit as moto got hard to get away to trails with newborn babies. Rode many 26” bikes and fell in love. As I progressed as a rider the bikes were doing the same. The first 29’r I rode was a joke. Salsa horse thief. It sucked. Played with 27.5 for a couple years and then the 29” bikes caught up geo wise and as a whole package. Being 46 this year I can appreciate the help in traction, roll over and speed they offer. But I recently picked up a 26” dj bike and am loving that too. If money were no object I would have a bunch of different stuff, 26” DH included, as well as all three hardtail flavors. Different strokes for different folks as they say and there are too many choices to discard any one option depending on what /where you ride and how. I’m not aware of any company actively developing a newer long, low, slack geo 26” bike of any discipline, it would be interesting to see how that panned out /felt, on the trails. 2 cents.....

Agreed.... though I'd just go 27.5 with a DH bike. Really don't need 26 to have a killer DJ bike anymore. Hell I'd probably even just go mullet. So far mullet has impressed me in every style I've tried it on.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 9:45 Quote
I'm entitled

Wuh? Who are you?

Not really the best way to drop into a conversation.

In fairness tommy initiated the conversation.

The entitled response was too much fresh blood for the Sharks to ignore. So the chewing continues. The lebowski oversight notwithstanding, I think he's got whiskers on his chin and taking shots and giving back, so fair play to tommy.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021682
Mobile Version of Website