Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Nov 20, 2019 at 22:03 Quote
Shopping for a welder. Miller Dynasty 210, Lincoln Aspect 230, HTB Invertig 221h dv? Esab 210 AC/DC? Need AC and go down to 5A for TIG. Want to learn to weld fine stuff. I only welded stick and some MIG so far in life.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 5:29 Quote
Axxe wrote:
Shopping for a welder. Miller Dynasty 210, Lincoln Aspect 230, HTB Invertig 221h dv? Esab 210 AC/DC? Need AC and go down to 5A for TIG. Want to learn to weld fine stuff. I only welded stick and some MIG so far in life.

I have two stick welders and had a Lincoln 140 mig in my lab at work for a while.
The machines you list are all capable of doing what you need them to do but they vary a great deal in price.
Are you looking to buy new or hoping to catch a Craigslist deal?

I would lean towards the Miller machine on price and it seems quite capable and a chunk of change cheaper than the Lincoln you have listed. I would try to find a welding forum where they are discussing this machine type to see if the reviews match your requirements.

I have just revived my dads old Lincoln Weld and Power 140 from a 10+ year sleep. Removed the ugly gas and oil from the B&S Vanguard 9 Hp (made in Japan!) ran some Seafoam in both fuel and sump. Cleaned the plug. checked spark, choked the darn thing and it started on the 10th pull.

Ran it for about 45 min with my wife's hair drier on the generator out put for load. Changed oil again and it seems to be running fine.

Need to put some cables on it to see if it will lay down a bead now.

Was thinking that I would use the generator output as emergency power but I have read that the output may not be kind to electronics.... Bummer.

Also have an old Lincoln tombstone stick welder. Hasn't been used in some time....

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 5:35 Quote
Oh, 27.5" wheels...
Never going back to 26...

A friend of mine has a new 29er and he claims that the new geometry on these bikes is so different (better) than the old 29ers.
I have demoed one years ago and it felt like I was riding a giraffe. A long way up from the ground.

Sorry, Tom. Looks like you are standing alone on this one...

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 10:51 Quote
Anyone else think that Mythique sounds like Mike Tyson trying to say Mistique?
Nice dog in the video though...

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 14:55 Quote
Jake Burton passed, man that sucks. In othe news, that's me done, on termination leave until 20 Jan when I officially become a veteran. Served over half my life to date in the Army. f*ck I feel old.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 15:37 Quote
Congrats on retirement!

The Mandalorian is fn awsome!

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 15:52 Quote
Ooo much stoke inspired by Burton Frown

Congrats and I just accidentally bought a Kona Unit frame fork combo

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 18:17 Quote
Congrats on your retirement and thanks for your service.

Rip Burton. Hard to think of someone more instramental in the development of a sport than Jake. He was not an old man so I wonder what did him in?

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
criscokid25 wrote:

Rip Burton. Hard to think of someone more instramental in the development of a sport than Jake. He was not an old man so I wonder what did him in?
Testicular cancer

Welcome to civilian life MHY!

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 19:32 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
criscokid25 wrote:

Testicular cancer

Welcome to civilian life MHY!

Damn.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 20:14 Quote
f*ck dudes. My pops is 58 and has always out worked me. Total badass.

Month ago he had a piercing headache and had been feeling low on energy. Turns out he had a brain tumor. Surgery was scheduled for next week but he woke up this morning puking and almost screaming in pain. Turns out the tumor/cyst sprung a leak and was bleeding.. He's in the ER probably until his surgery.

Like he's a tough mofo, but this little thing was already going to be a major surgery, but today totally scared the shit out of all of us and has me so spooked.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 20:20 Quote
swan3609 wrote:

Month ago he had a piercing headache and had been feeling low on energy. Turns out he had a brain tumor. Surgery was scheduled for next week but he woke up this morning puking and almost screaming in pain. Turns out the tumor/cyst sprung a leak and was bleeding.. He's in the ER probably until his surgery.

Like he's a tough mofo, but this little thing was already going to be a major surgery, but today totally scared the shit out of all of us and has me so spooked.

I hope this doesn't sound lame but positive thoughts heading your way.
Hang out with him as much as you can.

My dad had Alzheimer's like symptoms and passed last spring. I miss him every day.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 20:23 Quote
swan3609 wrote:

Sick dads are the worst. When my dad was 49 he got back from a business trip to Europe, he had a bit of a flu a day or two after he got back, a few days later he went to the ER where he was immediately admitted to the ICU, The flu like symptoms he has where caused by his pancreas failing in a spectacular manor. He then spent 6 month in a medically induced coma while doctors preformed 2-3 operations a month to try and repair the damage, after that he spent another 18 months in and out of hospital fighting infection and having additional surgeries. When he was admitted to the ICU my family was told that he would not make it out and that his condition had a 100% mortality rate. It was severe enough that my grandfather and Grandmother sat in the same room which had not happened since they divorced in 20-something years prior. That was almost 8 years ago, he made an almost full recovery and logs 50+ days at the resort every ski season and has returned to normal.

I have full faith that your ol man will make it through swan, but know that my thoughts and prayers are with him and all of your family.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 20:24 Quote
58? f*ck swan, that aint too far away. i hope everything turns out for the best with your fam.

sad that burton died. but he sure as hell lived. fame finances and business success never cut into his passion for the sport. respect.

moose, congrats on retirement. well earned no doubt. i always feel uncomfortable thanking the brave for their service, but know that good people appreciate good people.
first drinks on me when you get to alberta.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 20:29 Quote
Hoping nothing but the best to you and your family swan. Take the time to be with him and your family.

Active Forum Threads
32 mins ago - Kona Process 153 vs Ibis Ripmo AF: Which is Better For Beginners?
1 hours ago - The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
1 hours ago - Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
2 hours ago - Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!
3 hours ago - Greece for enduro riding in winter
3 hours ago - 2020 - SantaCruz Tallboy Carbon vs Canyon Neuron CF 9.0 SL
4 hours ago - Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
4 hours ago - Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
5 hours ago - Trail Conditions for Calgarians
5 hours ago - Post your Propain!
5 hours ago - How should I go about custom painting my fork?
5 hours ago - Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
5 hours ago - Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
5 hours ago - Trailforks.com Bug Reports
5 hours ago - I really want my bike back....
6 hours ago - [STOLEN BIKES] Post Your Stolen Bike Ad Here (U.S.A/Canada/South America Only)
6 hours ago - Official Vernon Riders Thread
7 hours ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
7 hours ago - Better cable routing grommets - 2019 Capra AL
7 hours ago - Banshee Bikes, NS Bikes, YT Industries Bikes and Ragley Bikes need their own manufacturer forum on Pinkbike
7 hours ago - Show your all mountain bike
7 hours ago - Motobecane Hal Boost: Anyone Riding a BD Bike?
8 hours ago - Best Do it all Bike
8 hours ago - Having a hell of a time finding a replacement wheel
8 hours ago - transition pbj

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.036018
Mobile Version of Website