Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 19:14 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
Qualifying a color takes the same energy and money for 100 units as it does for 100,000.

That’s mainly why. Resources and money.

I could see that but counter your arguements with the Van Halen Paul components stuff!

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 19:37 Quote
i honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Paul’s one off stuff is not qualified. And they are much less margin driven... less overhead... than say a deity.

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 20:32 Quote
What do you mean exactly by the word qualified? I havent heard it used in this way before.

I'm guessing it's in some way related to QA/QC culture.

Posted: Dec 5, 2019 at 20:58 Quote
Ano is supposed to get tested. One of those is uv

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 3:16 Quote
As super rad as custom colors are , and that fork is bonkers cool.......back in the day id be afraid of damaging it..

Every little nic used to bother me. On everything I owned. Now not so much. Crash and bash!

How durable is the custom paint over say std legs coating?

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 6:29 Quote
whoadragon wrote:
As super rad as custom colors are , and that fork is bonkers cool.......back in the day id be afraid of damaging it..

Every little nic used to bother me. On everything I owned. Now not so much. Crash and bash!

i know a couple of very durable std's.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
I just pulled my bike apart. The cassette went to another bike because that bike had a BB that could take the cranks that fit the prototype chain ring. The ring is prototype in the teeth area, and the rest did not matter. There were XTR M9000 rings in the machine at the time. So the prototype teeth got cut onto one of those. Those cranks (which are sitting on the shelf of many cranks) would not fit my 92mm BB. So it went onto Chris' bike. Which had a played out cassette. So he got my new cassette, which I don't have the rest of the stuff to use right now.

Any way. At my shop, everybody has a pretty much new drive train at all times. On the company. But everybody needs to ride something different so we have a wide variety of test sleds. And everybody needs to be prepared to shift stuff around on their bikes at all times.

And the two bosses need to put up with dogs breakfast drive trains. As you have seen. It's all new and in good condition or prototype stuff, but it's a mix. By January or February, my bike will be new XT 12 speed, but with SRAM DUB cranks. By March or April, it will have XT cranks on it. All so that I can work the new teeth through every type of interface.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 8:36 Quote
Yeah my drive train is unique since I just threw a new set of cranks on after blowing up my carbon cranks (4 years of thrashing they owe me nothing) GX cranks, sunrace cassette, slx shifter/derailleur and kmc chain. All works well together no issues.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 11:44 Quote
whoadragon wrote:

I'd say slightly less. Really depends. This fork was basically sanded down, painted and cleared. It'll hold up fine until I crash it or slam it off something. I've done some other ones in the past that were stripped back to bare metal, primered, painted, cleared. Those maybe a bit more durable.

I've seen a few come back after crashes and they still look pretty good. Saw one on tv smash off a wood post, haven't seen that fork yet so no clue how it held up.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 13:35 Quote
leverfingers wrote:
I just pulled my bike apart. The cassette went to another bike because that bike had a BB that could take the cranks that fit the prototype chain ring. The ring is prototype in the teeth area, and the rest did not matter. There were XTR M9000 rings in the machine at the time. So the prototype teeth got cut onto one of those. Those cranks (which are sitting on the shelf of many cranks) would not fit my 92mm BB. So it went onto Chris' bike. Which had a played out cassette. So he got my new cassette, which I don't have the rest of the stuff to use right now.

Any way. At my shop, everybody has a pretty much new drive train at all times. On the company. But everybody needs to ride something different so we have a wide variety of test sleds. And everybody needs to be prepared to shift stuff around on their bikes at all times.

And the two bosses need to put up with dogs breakfast drive trains. As you have seen. It's all new and in good condition or prototype stuff, but it's a mix. By January or February, my bike will be new XT 12 speed, but with SRAM DUB cranks. By March or April, it will have XT cranks on it. All so that I can work the new teeth through every type of interface.

I hear ya

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 14:45 Quote
Just rolled into Slab City California... averything is mix and match rammed together! Ha!!! There’s crank and varieties of teeth here too! Ha!!!

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 15:26 Quote
I am a big Jack White fan and even more so after his White Stripes tour in 2007 when he visited every province and territory in Canada. I was living in Yellowknife at the time and the show they put on was bad ass! Here is a beauty clip that popped up today about his acoustic in Alaska. The guy seems to really respect his fans.

And a photo i took of Meg and Jack doing a little pre-show set.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 15:45 Quote
Love Jack White... one of the few legitimate musicians in the industry today, and super talented.

Ordered a new GPS computer for the bike recently, a Karoo Hammerhead... just got here, holy shit this thing is huge. It's highly touted for it's mapping and, being new to this area I wanted something with better navigation than my Garmin... this definitely delivers in that area but my God, it's large. It borders on smartphone size, and the screen is gorgeous, way nicer than any Garmin or Wahoo, etc. Android based on they issue frequent updates apparently, supports a ridiculous amount of features, integrates with Strava, Training Peaks, etc... connects to Di2 or AXS, power meters, etc... and it was only $249. $200 less than a Garmin 1030 and WAY nicer in every measurable way I can see. Pretty stoked on this thing after playing with it for the last hour.

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 15:57 Quote
What a tough day of Christmas shopping. I went and picked up gift cards from all the breweries in Kamloops. I had to have samples at every one of them. Great day of shopping!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022606
Mobile Version of Website