Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Author Message
Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 13:40 Quote
Cheers guys. I went 39 years without spending a night in a hospital so I guess I've gotta catch it up now.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 17:19 Quote
Damn bro, that's shitty... just pancreatitis or are they thinking something serious?

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 17:32 Quote
Awe geeez heal up huss Frown

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 17:38 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Damn bro, that's shitty... just pancreatitis or are they thinking something serious?
Ehh pancreatitis can be life threatening if it is severe enough, almost killed my father in '12

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 17:58 Quote
Back in early early September, I pre-ordered a new helmet light, the Outbound Lighting Hangover... almost forgot about ordering it until it showed up yesterday. Really compact light, about 2.5" wide and 1.5" deep... maybe 1.5" tall. It's got an integrated battery so there's no battery pack to deal with and it attaches via GoPro mount so you don't need to f*ck about with extra shit on your helmet, or bars if you wanted to use it there. Damn impressive little light... I was running a Niterider 2200 Race light solo on the bars and, as a spotlight, that one is a little bit brighter but this light is way more usefully bright in terms of layout and only marginally dimmer as a spot light in spite of being about half the weight and thickness and only slightly wider. I was kicking around the idea of ordering one of their trail lights for the bars after reading the review Pinkbike did last month but I think I may actually just order another one of these little f*ckers for the bars too. Haven't put it on a scale but it can't weigh more than a 100-110g or so and no battery strapped to the helmet or bars is a huge plus imo. My Niterider is only a couple years old but the tech has apparently come a long way in those couple years. Highly recommend if any of you guys are doing any night riding.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 18:07 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Damn bro, that's shitty... just pancreatitis or are they thinking something serious?
Ehh pancreatitis can be life threatening if it is severe enough, almost killed my father in '12
Generally speaking, it's only serious if it goes untreated or if it's an indicator for something more serious like pancreatic cancer. Once you get in to a doctor, it's highly treatable... couple days fasting with some pain meds and IV fluids and, if inflammation continues, they might scope the biliary duct for obstruction... maybe cholecystectomy is stones are present or, less likely outside of chronic pancreatitis, direct pancreas surgery to drain it and remove necrotic tissue. Did you old man go untreated for awhile?

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 18:20 Quote
Damn Huss Frown Hope the road ahead is smooth. Heal up quick!

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 18:25 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Damn bro, that's shitty... just pancreatitis or are they thinking something serious?
Ehh pancreatitis can be life threatening if it is severe enough, almost killed my father in '12
Generally speaking, it's only serious if it goes untreated or if it's an indicator for something more serious like pancreatic cancer. Once you get in to a doctor, it's highly treatable... couple days fasting with some pain meds and IV fluids and, if inflammation continues, they might scope the biliary duct for obstruction... maybe cholecystectomy is stones are present or, less likely outside of chronic pancreatitis, direct pancreas surgery to drain it and remove necrotic tissue. Did you old man go untreated for awhile?

I was thinking of Ajax’s dad and that story when I was being admitted.

It’s pancreatitis, I believe they are scoping it and I’m definitely on the fasting + pain meds plan now. Apparently on the US scan, my panicky pancreas was visibly angry with steam blowing out of its ears. They’re going to scope it any day and go from there. BBLB is right on point here. I’m not playing trivia games with you, unless I’m on your team.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 18:31 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Damn bro, that's shitty... just pancreatitis or are they thinking something serious?
Ehh pancreatitis can be life threatening if it is severe enough, almost killed my father in '12
Generally speaking, it's only serious if it goes untreated or if it's an indicator for something more serious like pancreatic cancer. Once you get in to a doctor, it's highly treatable... couple days fasting with some pain meds and IV fluids and, if inflammation continues, they might scope the biliary duct for obstruction... maybe cholecystectomy is stones are present or, less likely outside of chronic pancreatitis, direct pancreas surgery to drain it and remove necrotic tissue. Did you old man go untreated for awhile?
With my dad he went from feeling a little under the weather to being nearly dead in 12 hours. The doctors are pretty sure it was a side effect of one of the medications he was on at the time to help with his cholesterol.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 18:34 Quote
Today the Coachella Valley delivered! In my ignorance I always thought of Palm Springs etc as geriatric golf land. How wrong I was... the weather here is amazing and the mountains soar 5000 ft above town. We’ve only ridden a couple days and the climbs are insane but reward with killer scenery and awesome descents. Today’s ribbons of Singletrack were absolutely glorious high desert ridgline riding into the sunset with 2600 ft of descending. Not bad at all for mid December.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 18:34 Quote
Take it easy Huss. Hope you get a hot nurse!!!

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 18:35 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
With my dad he went from feeling a little under the weather to being nearly dead in 12 hours. The doctors are pretty sure it was a side effect of one of the medications he was on at the time to help with his cholesterol.
Was that the issue you were talking about a month or two ago where they had to put him in a medically induced coma and do a bunch of surgeries over like six months? That'd be a really extreme case, I'd bet he'd been having issues chronically without realizing it and had just been toughing it out thinking his back hurt or something until it finally blew up.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 19:05 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
Today the Coachella Valley delivered! In my ignorance I always thought of Palm Springs etc as geriatric golf land. How wrong I was... the weather here is amazing and the mountains soar 5000 ft above town. We’ve only ridden a couple days and the climbs are insane but reward with killer scenery and awesome descents. Today’s ribbons of Singletrack were absolutely glorious high desert ridgline riding into the sunset with 2600 ft of descending. Not bad at all for mid December.

That zone rules. Headed there again in a few months

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 19:08 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Back in early early September, I pre-ordered a new helmet light, the Outbound Lighting Hangover... almost forgot about ordering it until it showed up yesterday. Really compact light, about 2.5" wide and 1.5" deep... maybe 1.5" tall. It's got an integrated battery so there's no battery pack to deal with and it attaches via GoPro mount so you don't need to f*ck about with extra shit on your helmet, or bars if you wanted to use it there. Damn impressive little light... I was running a Niterider 2200 Race light solo on the bars and, as a spotlight, that one is a little bit brighter but this light is way more usefully bright in terms of layout and only marginally dimmer as a spot light in spite of being about half the weight and thickness and only slightly wider. I was kicking around the idea of ordering one of their trail lights for the bars after reading the review Pinkbike did last month but I think I may actually just order another one of these little f*ckers for the bars too. Haven't put it on a scale but it can't weigh more than a 100-110g or so and no battery strapped to the helmet or bars is a huge plus imo. My Niterider is only a couple years old but the tech has apparently come a long way in those couple years. Highly recommend if any of you guys are doing any night riding.


Hmmm not bad price either. My cat eye is finally showing its age after 5 or 6 years of wonderful night riding. Will definitely try and puck one of these up.

Posted: Dec 13, 2019 at 19:55 Quote
I really scored on the preorder, it was only $99...


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019978
Mobile Version of Website