Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Author Message
Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 10:39 Quote
d-man wrote:
Many People want to buy real estate in Fernie because of the trails, kind of short sighted for him to piss on the people who are potentially buyers.

Now, that's a very fair point. The lifestyle there is what sells Fernie as the kind of place I want to move to someday.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 10:51 Quote
He's building a residential development, not a bike park... who the f*ck wants mountain bikes running through a construction job site? You'd have to be full retard to want that liability.

If you want trail access, buy one of the properties after he develops them and give access to everyone...

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 10:54 Quote
freeridechef wrote:
poli hale st park kauai hawaii
here you go joe this is what you missed

Hey fellas, headed to Kauai for the first week of February. Can anyone tell me here (from experience) if it's worth renting a mountain bike? Seems like almost nothing on Trailforks ...

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 11:00 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
He's building a residential development, not a bike park... who the f*ck wants mountain bikes running through a construction job site? You'd have to be full retard to want that liability.

If you want trail access, buy one of the properties after he develops them and give access to everyone...

Fernie is a different place. For example, some of the trails in town were re-routed around some active logging sites this year, then access came back once the work was finished. The liability concerns I suspect you're referring to don't exist here.

Selling homes "close to the trails, good lifestyle!" but then closing the trails is a bit of a contradiction. I have looked at enough property listings in Fernie (when I saw a decent job at a mine nearby) and the ski/bike lifestyle is the main attractive thing about living there.

It would be like selling homes that back onto a golf course to golfers, while bulldozing the golf course to put more homes in.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 11:24 Quote
husstler wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
He's building a residential development, not a bike park... who the f*ck wants mountain bikes running through a construction job site? You'd have to be full retard to want that liability.

If you want trail access, buy one of the properties after he develops them and give access to everyone...

Fernie is a different place. For example, some of the trails in town were re-routed around some active logging sites this year, then access came back once the work was finished. The liability concerns I suspect you're referring to don't exist here.

Selling homes "close to the trails, good lifestyle!" but then closing the trails is a bit of a contradiction. I have looked at enough property listings in Fernie (when I saw a decent job at a mine nearby) and the ski/bike lifestyle is the main attractive thing about living there.

It would be like selling homes that back onto a golf course to golfers, while bulldozing the golf course to put more homes in.

My family and I had a Christmas vacation in Grand Cayman last year and that is exactly what had happened with the condo development we stayed at. Originally the units were sold with gym/golf memberships but the land for the golf course was owned by a developer. After 20 years the golf course was sold to another developer that will install a canal system for boats with slips and housing where the golf course once was.
The gym was closed, the golf course was closed but at least they still sprayed for mosquitoes!
The land belongs to the developer and they can do what ever they wish to do with the property within the zoning requirements.
If you don't like it, buy the property and the development rights and leave it as a trail system. YMMV.
You could try to prove that the land is unstable and unsuitable for development!
https://globalnews.ca/news/6359984/sechelt-seawatch-property-assessments/

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 11:33 Quote
With love in my heart, how are you gonna go golfing without having a house to put your clubs in?

In seriousness, fernie is surrounded by prime trails and endless untouched land. Only so much land in town has been zoned for construction, and this privately owned land is part of that.
I really don't see why it's even a conversation. The fact that the mtb community is actively publicly shaming the landowner is more of a poor reflection on the culture of mountain biking than it is a criticism of the landowner.

I would be shocked to imagine anyone on here willing to invest millions of their own dollars on a real estate venture and then choose to stop the construction because people like riding their bicycles on the trails that criss cross over your property. Knowing that there are thousands of kilometres of trails in the immediate area that are also legally accessible, it seems preposterous.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 11:36 Quote
husstler wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
He's building a residential development, not a bike park... who the f*ck wants mountain bikes running through a construction job site? You'd have to be full retard to want that liability.

If you want trail access, buy one of the properties after he develops them and give access to everyone...

Fernie is a different place. For example, some of the trails in town were re-routed around some active logging sites this year, then access came back once the work was finished. The liability concerns I suspect you're referring to don't exist here.

Selling homes "close to the trails, good lifestyle!" but then closing the trails is a bit of a contradiction. I have looked at enough property listings in Fernie (when I saw a decent job at a mine nearby) and the ski/bike lifestyle is the main attractive thing about living there.

It would be like selling homes that back onto a golf course to golfers, while bulldozing the golf course to put more homes in.
Either way, I think the owner is well within his rights. If you spend your money on a piece of land to develop it and sell it, that's legit imo... and I think it's pretty damn entitled to have a fit because someone put up their money to make money instead of just providing you a free trail system. Basically sounds like a bunch if mountain bikers are pissed somebody is gonna make money on property they bought instead of just letting them play in the yard for free.

Golf courses sure as f*ck aren't free and, if they were, you can bet they'd get bulldozed in favor of residential developments all day long.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 11:36 Quote
Hustler we rented bikes the last time we were in Hawaii. A total waste of time. Most of the trails were on private land or else the locals didn't want your pasty white ass riding on them.
Makes me want to build condos all over them.
Haha.

In seriousness, when we go to Hawaii it's a hiking and water sports holiday. As in, hike over to the beach and watch the kids get throttled by the waves. And drink.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 11:37 Quote
obee1 wrote:
With love in my heart, how are you gonna go golfing without having a house to put your clubs in?

In seriousness, fernie is surrounded by prime trails and endless untouched land. Only so much land in town has been zoned for construction, and this privately owned land is part of that.
I really don't see why it's even a conversation. The fact that the mtb community is actively publicly shaming the landowner is more of a poor reflection on the culture of mountain biking than it is a criticism of the landowner.

I would be shocked to imagine anyone on here willing to invest millions of their own dollars on a real estate venture and then choose to stop the construction because people like riding their bicycles on the trails that criss cross over your property. Knowing that there are thousands of kilometres of trails in the immediate area that are also legally accessible, it seems preposterous.
As usual, obee much more eloquently sums up exactly what I've been getting at.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 11:43 Quote
Ha! Kind words bro, but I remember about five years ago you proclaiming something to the effect of " f*ck your parents, f*ck all of your teachers, mentors, coaches and friends for allowing you to grow up to become such a useless f*cking moron who sucks at the tits of the system and cries when the milk gets low."

I use it all the time. This shit is gold.
I'm just wordy Now and then.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 11:50 Quote
lol I remember that one, that was a classic! I have my moments.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 11:53 Quote
That you do!! You have been slacking off quite a bit in your old age tho... lol

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 12:09 Quote
In Whistler when you are a developer and you build on land that subtracts bike trails, the municipality requires that you re-route or provide pathways through the development. Whistler is pretty communist that way. But it's not a city, or a town or village. It is a resort municipality. I don't think that there are more than 5 of those in Canada.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 13:45 Quote
I seem to remember something like that happening in Squamish as well...not sure though.

Posted: Jan 14, 2020 at 13:55 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
That you do!! You have been slacking off quite a bit in your old age tho... lol

I've been waiting for a youngun on the front page to get a BBLB talking to for a bit. It's a matter of time.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021120
Mobile Version of Website