Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 9:42 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Wait a minute you’re faster than me.... you stay home lol

Which one are you gonna race? Maybe I’ll join you. Always wanted to race a PA and Stevens pass events. Just didn’t know anyone doing it and didn’t want to fly solo...

Come race silver! We have a house 10 mins away that I can put you up in! Plus silver is just a fun ride even without the race.

PA is fun, but kinda a stupid long drive for me for a 2 min race course.

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 10:05 Quote
For those with rv’s Kellogg is a pretty awesome place... park your rig at the gondola base and makes the perfect pit stop at the end of any lap you want!

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 10:23 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
For those with rv’s Kellogg is a pretty awesome place... park your rig at the gondola base and makes the perfect pit stop at the end of any lap you want!

Our place up in Wallace has spoiled me, I can go turn a lap or 2 leisurely and the house is close. I rode 40 days 2 years ago.. But I'll bet that 75% of those days were only 1-2 laps days.

We have 4 beds in that house, I'll extend the offer to anyone who wants to come ride, you have a place to crash.

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 10:39 Quote
2 full laps at silver mountain is equal to 7 laps at silver star so nothing to sneeze at.

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 10:46 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
2 full laps at silver mountain is equal to 7 laps at silver star so nothing to sneeze at.

I always did a warm up lap, then got a slice of pizza and a beer and rode the cool down lap.. Haha

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 10:53 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
mtnmanjake wrote:

I always did a warm up lap, then got a slice of pizza and a beer and rode the cool down lap.. Haha

Now that’s good living!!!

Wish we could be there in summer again... but to maintain our health care we need to be home for six months... there’s eight months of winter we’re trying to avoid here so the math doesn’t work. Basically means the only international landscapes we’ll see around the world are the ones that are summerish during the Canadian winters.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 11:11 Quote
Yep idaho! And Spokane and maybe oregon or PA.... we shall see... dont scare me with health insurance bizznizz!!!!

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 11:37 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Yep idaho! And Spokane and maybe oregon or PA.... we shall see... dont scare me with health insurance bizznizz!!!!

Come hang out! I'll come Race if I know I have buddies out there.

Posted: Jan 20, 2020 at 12:18 Quote
Sterling, I found my large 2019 Furious to be a little tighter than I prefer for my frame. I would consider selling it for a move to the newer longer reach 2020 one. That’s if you are interested in purchasing a L frame only.
I’d sell you the whole bike but I know that’s not in the budget your looking at.

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 13:25 Quote
Sterl, BK, I have Bellingham questions.

Is late April a nice time of the year to ride bicycles there?
For pedalling type rides, which regions do I want to look at on the Trailforks?
Are there really that many ferns?

I am planning a spring trip with my riding bud and we are looking for a little beta.

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 15:42 Quote
2 more days in the books in the snow. Sat was insane. Weather was perfect. Right around 30 degrees but sunny. Day old 18inches of powder. Road off the back of the mountain all day so barely saw any tracks. Did some hiking. Sunday was overcast and warmer. Like 40 maybe. Same program. Just went a bit deeper to find clean tracks. Hiked a little again.

Here's a few pictures.

About to drop in before we're out of light.
photo

Drop in point number 2. Day 2.
photo

Hiking back out on the cat roads back into town.
photo

Think this drop in was mid day so snow was already getting heavy but was still really good. Brother's chunks to the left.
photo

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 15:48 Quote
That last picture... right in front of me is like an 80 foot cliff. Lower right hand corner is my cut or die point. Basically push that as far in as you can then drop right into a series of either cliffs or half pipe style bowls depending on snow conditions and line choice. Really been wanting to get a drone to follow me through that section. If it was posted up above the cliffs it would be sick. Last year I dropped a line in there so deep you could see the shadow of the spray just lit up on the cliffs edge. My buddies were tripping. My brother went first and I kinda went... psht.... I'll go deeper. LOL!

First picture is a pretty sick ridge. Lots of sleds up there. The zone to the left goes back into "soft bounds" at the local resort so you can take a bus to get back up. The zone to the right you really need a sled to ride. It's basically a sled play ground.

Second picture is lift accessible. Just hike off the back. But you have to know where you're going and take the bus out. It's "soft bounds"

Third picture is the hike out to the bus.

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 16:05 Quote
so nice. where you at here army?

i was looking at burton step in bindings. $800 for boots and bindings is a lotta cheddar when i already have three snowboard sets, but the majority of my boarding is with my skiing family on green and blue runs and i'm getting sick of constantly sitting down and strappin the f*ckers on.

army or anyone riding with them?

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 16:49 Quote
obee1 wrote:
so nice. where you at here army?

i was looking at burton step in bindings. $800 for boots and bindings is a lotta cheddar when i already have three snowboard sets, but the majority of my boarding is with my skiing family on green and blue runs and i'm getting sick of constantly sitting down and strappin the f*ckers on.

army or anyone riding with them?

I'm from Santa Cruz County. My "local" hill is Bear Valley. It's a smaller resort. Family has had houses in the area up there for a long time. Way easier than dealing with Tahoe. No traffic. I buy a season pass. THere's tons of lift/bus/hike/sled accessible terrain. It's a skiers resort more so than a tourists resort. Though this year I've seen more tourists than ever.

I saw a dude in those step ins on Sunday. Dude dropped his board and was in and gone before I got one strap on. I was like... damn... that looks nice. HAAA!!!

My buddy road a day on them at a demo. Said he liked them but they're noisy. Like you can hear the connection points clicking. For me... I just don't want to be locked into one boot/binding system essentially forever. If you hate it you're screwed. Or if the tech goes away. Etc. There's a handful of boot options and that's essentially it. I never bought into the systems that popped up in the 90's for the exact same reason. But I will say... burton's system seems to be the best options I've seen thus far.

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 18:32 Quote
husstler wrote:
Sterl, BK, I have Bellingham questions.

Is late April a nice time of the year to ride bicycles there?
For pedalling type rides, which regions do I want to look at on the Trailforks?
Are there really that many ferns?

I am planning a spring trip with my riding bud and we are looking for a little beta.

Not Magnum or BK so here's unsolicited info from a canuck...

Galbraith is great pedal up bomb down riding for two or three days and then attention deficit had us craving a different area. We also rode chuckanut but we were using shuttles.

We went to Ster's place and he showed us his privates lol Bugger of a push to get the bikes up but good steep loam descents as i recall.

2.5hrs south is Tiger Mountain which is also good riding.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.070559
Mobile Version of Website