Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 18:38 Quote
looks killer Army!

With recent deaths at home in the Bow Valley and Fernie in the Backcountry and Inbounds we're feeling on edge. It's been nuking here and definitely worth having avi gear even inbounds when venturing off piste... there's just too many terrain features for patrol to ensure they're all stable. Heck, just getting someone out of a tree well can take a shovel or three to get done in time.

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 19:04 Quote
Yea tree wells suck people don’t realize how bad they can entrap you. Buddy in Fernie was skiing with a buddy fell in the tree well a meter off the trail and that was it. Buddies buddy skied to the bottom of the lift and waited called him on his phone then did another 2 laps in the same area to see what was up. Maybe he was a lap ahead he thought. Then skied with his becon on and found him in the tree well.
My kid who is on ski patrol was the first responder on scene and started cpr and such.
My kid has been on patrol for 8 weeks and is a rookie. Sounds like he did what he was trained to do and did his best but due to the guy being submerged for that long it was a tough go.
In Fernie they have had almost 5-6 meters off snow since Jan 1st. If you go off piste and step out off your skis you are neck deep if not deeper. It’s now a submerge-able problem with people getting stuck and patrollers worried about the same thing.
The guy in the tree well had lived in Fernie for 10 plus years and knew the hill and skied every where so he was not new to big snow. Just shitty luck/ freak accident.

We are all guilty but a good reminder if you are skiing/ biking with a buddy always now where they are. See you at the bottom of the lift sometimes don’t cut it.
Be safe out there and have fun with your buddy

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 19:34 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
husstler wrote:
Sterl, BK, I have Bellingham questions.

Is late April a nice time of the year to ride bicycles there?
For pedalling type rides, which regions do I want to look at on the Trailforks?
Are there really that many ferns?

I am planning a spring trip with my riding bud and we are looking for a little beta.

Not Magnum or BK so here's unsolicited info from a canuck...

Galbraith is great pedal up bomb down riding for two or three days and then attention deficit had us craving a different area. We also rode chuckanut but we were using shuttles.

We went to Ster's place and he showed us his privates lol Bugger of a push to get the bikes up but good steep loam descents as i recall.

2.5hrs south is Tiger Mountain which is also good riding.

That's good unsolicited advice! I should add you to any location info requests.

Might add north van into the list too. Lots o' fun. Easy to hit on the way out.

Were Sterls privates worth it?

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 19:51 Quote
My cousin dug 2 of the dead bodies out of the Slide at Silver Mountain the other day.. On inbounds terrain that we have all skied hundreds of times.. He is a firefighter, so seen lots of shit, but getting thrown into the Avi situation while inbounds and off duty, but he was super messed up over it..

It has seriously changed the way we all look at things. Humbled all of us.

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 20:33 Quote
Just bought a new avalanche airbag pack. No guarantees for anything, but it raises ones chances.
Super capacitor based. Good not to deal with gas canisters.

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 21:13 Quote
Yeah my buddy was at alpine during the avi they just had. One dead. One injured.

I’ve had tree wells almost take me out a few times. On Sunday one blew out mid turn and I I spun like a record. Lol.

Twice as a teen they literally nearly killed me.
Was trailing my brother and he clipped a low branch. It whipped and took me out. I ended up so far down in a well that I was looking up at the snow level. Took me 45 minutes to dig out.

Another one I went head first and was buried up to my boots. I was about to black out when my brother grabbed my hood and pulled me out. I heard him digging.

My dumb ass needs some new safety gear

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 21:14 Quote
Axxe wrote:
Just bought a new avalanche airbag pack. No guarantees for anything, but it raises ones chances.

Which one?

O+
Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 21:17 Quote
moto clip on the home page is blah except the huck at 4 minutes which is gnarly enough to watch more than a few times

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-moto-freeride-in-los-angeles-with-robbie-maddison-and-tyler-bereman.html

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 21:17 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
Axxe wrote:

Which one?

Scott Patrol E1 30l. The shit this year.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 0:35 Quote
husstler wrote:
mtnmanjake wrote:
husstler wrote:
Sterl, BK, I have Bellingham questions.

Is late April a nice time of the year to ride bicycles there?
For pedalling type rides, which regions do I want to look at on the Trailforks?
Are there really that many ferns?

I am planning a spring trip with my riding bud and we are looking for a little beta.

Not Magnum or BK so here's unsolicited info from a canuck...

Galbraith is great pedal up bomb down riding for two or three days and then attention deficit had us craving a different area. We also rode chuckanut but we were using shuttles.

We went to Ster's place and he showed us his privates lol Bugger of a push to get the bikes up but good steep loam descents as i recall.

2.5hrs south is Tiger Mountain which is also good riding.

That's good unsolicited advice! I should add you to any location info requests.

Might add north van into the list too. Lots o' fun. Easy to hit on the way out.

Were Sterls privates worth it?

Yes! Always worth it.

Yep Galbraith is the main hub Chuckanuts is good shuttle runs, my privates are wonderus but getting harder ever day to errrr ride. Big stink in the hood has shut down parking and you’ll need a guide for that.... you call me before you land. I like my privates a lot

April is usually all time.

O+
Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 8:15 Quote
Soooo you like to show your privates......

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 13:01 Quote
Evening all! Had a killer last night in the Army this week.

Went to see Slipknot with my best mate, had my phone stolen, I did manage to get this sole picture of Behemoth from my cloud, they were f*cking epic!
photo

I got covered in a full pint of my mates piss when some dude botted the plastic glass he'd just filled, covered in beer and clean knocked a dude out in the pit.

My body is battered but it was totally worth it, so now i'm just a regular dude, currently loving life.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 13:04 Quote
Congrats buddy! Not so much the phone and beer part but the living life part!

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 13:13 Quote
RelapsedMandalorian wrote:
Evening all! Had a killer last night in the Army this week.

Went to see Slipknot with my best mate, had my phone stolen, I did manage to get this sole picture of Behemoth from my cloud, they were f*cking epic!

I got covered in a full pint of my mates piss when some dude botted the plastic glass he'd just filled, covered in beer and clean knocked a dude out in the pit.

My body is battered but it was totally worth it, so now i'm just a regular dude, currently loving life.
Congrats brother, your service and sacrifices are appreciated and honored even from this side of the Atlantic... you've damn sure earned the good times to come, enjoy em.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 13:31 Quote
Hey bitch!! Get back to the show your mountain bike thread so I can laugh!! Ya ignorant boob!! lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.094546
Mobile Version of Website