Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 0:34 Quote
Yeah we crunched numbers and Noone is making a heavy enough progressive spring for my weight on the Levo.

Other option was find a shock that has a hydraulic bottom out.. EXT came to mind, or try and find a old 5th element in close enough size.

Or just run a X2 like you said.

I have black diamond tires on with cush core in the rear.

The guide RE brakes have been fine so far.. It's a code caliper, so plenty of power.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 1:31 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
Yeah we crunched numbers and Noone is making a heavy enough progressive spring for my weight on the Levo.

Other option was find a shock that has a hydraulic bottom out.. EXT came to mind, or try and find a old 5th element in close enough size.

The guide RE brakes have been fine so far.. It's a code caliper, so plenty of power.

I hated those things. Was much happier with the Saints. But in general I hate SRAM brakes. I just don't like the way they feel. I think the Kenevo had Code Rs. My only beef with that bike was the brakes. They were load. The feel sucked. Just everything about them sucked. They stopped well enough but that's about it. I'd rather run XT's or TRP's at the very least. The Cannondale is running XTR and thing is awesome.

Yeah anything that requires me to run a 900 pound spring ain't right. Leverage ratio on the Kenevo is way more coil friendly.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 1:41 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

I hated those things. Was much happier with the Saints. But in general I hate SRAM brakes. I just don't like the way they feel. I think the Kenevo had Code Rs. My only beef with that bike was the brakes. They were load. The feel sucked. Just everything about them sucked. They stopped well enough but that's about it. I'd rather run XT's or TRP's at the very least. The Cannondale is running XTR and thing is awesome.

Yeah anything that requires me to run a 900 pound spring ain't right. Leverage ratio on the Kenevo is way more coil friendly.

I was/am a Shimano fanboy too.. I have 6 pairs of Shimano 4 pot brakes spread between all my bikes.. But I have to give SRAM credit, the new Code brakes are really really good..

Brake feel is definitely different, the Codes/Guide REs have gobs of modulation.. It's way easier to modulate brakes than Shimanos.

I also have way less issues of brakes going flat or overheating with the Codes. A weekend at the bike park on my my saints or Zees and those brakes are going to be noisy and need pads and rotors sanded and cleaned. On all 3 of my bikes I rode at the park, that was the case.. My one set of codes had close to 100k ft of descending on them and didn't have any issues or make silly noise.

I have 2 pairs of XT levers and Saint calipers hanging here that I had set aside for my Levo and my M9..... Both bikes still have the Codes/Guides on them because they work really really well and I couldn't justify swapping them.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 1:49 Quote
You tried TRP?

I really liked mine. Ran them on my remedy. Lever is a bit bulk but I could find nothing to complain about. Never got them to a bike park but I did some pretty long downhills in Oregon and put them through some tests in the Santa Cruz mountains. love the modulation on them. Lever feels awesome too. Bulky but once you get it set up right I don't mind it really. I'm going to run XT's on my chameleon. Was looking at the TRP trail brakes but I want to try the new I-spec complete set up. Haven't done it yet.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 1:57 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
You tried TRP?

I really liked mine. Ran them on my remedy. Lever is a bit bulk but I could find nothing to complain about. Never got them to a bike park but I did some pretty long downhills in Oregon and put them through some tests in the Santa Cruz mountains. love the modulation on them. Lever feels awesome too. Bulky but once you get it set up right I don't mind it really. I'm going to run XT's on my chameleon. Was looking at the TRP trail brakes but I want to try the new I-spec complete set up. Haven't done it yet.

Never owned a pair.. Just set them up at the shop.. The Magura MT7s have really impressed me lately..

I have an inside buddy at Shimano whom I receive a goody box from occasionally that's stoked with a ton of parts that had come across his desk.. My last goody box had 5 Zee calipers, 2 sets of XT levers, a set of Saint cranks, a driveside XTR crank, and a Di2 XTR Derailleur, shifter and battery.

He knows he always has a place to sleep and a warm meal when he travels through my neck of the woods.. Lol

And also keeps me pretty loyal to Shimano for obvious reasons. Haha

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 6:51 Quote
Must be that time of the month for mother nature, she decided that we need more winter....

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 7:27 Quote
d-man wrote:
Must be that time of the month for mother nature, she decided that we need more winter....

No kidding I had to run a work day and had sun, rain, hail and snow on the drive....

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 8:11 Quote
d-man wrote:

Sun came out here finally but its -4...

Im trying to think of ways to shuttle but still keep social distancing.

1. Plastic bags over peoples heads
2. 3-d printing shielding between seats.
3. A School bus with pods and you use the emergency windows to get out and have an irrigation sprinkler system to mist a cool relaxing anti viral concoction
4. Tow ropes off the back of the truck.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 8:30 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
d-man wrote:

3. A School bus with pods and you use the emergency windows to get out and have an irrigation sprinkler system to mist a cool relaxing anti viral concoction

Ha! Just like the grocery stores here have just started putting up plexiglass guards between customers and checkers.... only thing is..... they dont do shit! lol they are like 2 foot wide sections where no one stands? the card reader is directly across from the checkers.... I asked one why they didnt install two posts and a horizontal guard with the bottom open for the card machine... she looked at me and said.... oh.... that would have been way better....

Panic solutions = “perception” of safety...

Also whats up with the plastic sheets over all the key pads? Is a plastic sheet now unaffected by these viruses? Perception. Just wipe it down....

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 8:38 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
d-man wrote:

5. Stop letting fear based propaganda drive your life choices.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 8:39 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
vernonjeff wrote:
d-man wrote:

Ha! Just like the grocery stores here have just started putting up plexiglass guards between customers and checkers.... only thing is..... they dont do shit! lol they are like 2 foot wide sections where no one stands? the card reader is directly across from the checkers.... I asked one why they didnt install two posts and a horizontal guard with the bottom open for the card machine... she looked at me and said.... oh.... that would have been way better....

Also whats up with the plastic sheets over all the key pads? Is a plastic sheet now unaffected by these viruses? Perception. Just wipe it down....
People in California are all over Facebook today looking for anyone willing to sell them homemade masks... too f*cking scared to go out without a mask and come in contact with a stranger but willing to pay money for ineffective products made by strangers with no quality control and literally strap them to your family's faces. Rolleyes

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 8:42 Quote
Ha! Totally... just snap a pair of your toddlers spidey underoos to your face and parade around. Thatauddahdoit

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 8:43 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
vernonjeff wrote:

People in California are all over Facebook today looking for anyone willing to sell them homemade masks... too f*cking scared to go out without a mask and come in contact with a stranger but willing to pay money for ineffective products made by strangers with no quality control and literally strap them to your family's faces. Rolleyes

A local distillery is making spray sanitizer now so i went in for some. Came out with Vodka and ginger beer.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 8:44 Quote
I mean... I'm pretty sure vodka counts as hand sanitizer
lol

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 8:49 Quote
My employer started making making hand sanitizer instead of booze (not full time in small batches)

Employees also got a 10% hazard pay raise. Work for a great company.

This was the company’s directive and not pressured from the union.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023389
Mobile Version of Website