Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 22:24 Quote
jamezyo wrote:
I just had the most honest meaningful chat with my old man a few mins ago, he is loaded but actually was able open up to me.
We talked about alcoholism in our blood line , he referred to it as our heritage. Lol
As I reminded him of all those drunkin fights between him and my mom he told me about how his mom and dad fought every night drunk. That’s old school beating shit.
I won’t touch booze for a oath i have to my daughter and myself that, that heritage dies with them. f*ck that shit.
Good venting fellas . Thank you,

Good for you man...

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 22:26 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
RelapsedMandalorian wrote:
Hey all, not been around much, first week at work has been insane. Hope everyone is okay?
Living the dream... how's the new gig?

It's really good, great team of which I'm the only guy! The hospital is calm busy, just people getting on with their jobs, it's an old.buoldimg so there's had to be a lot of moving around of departments to create the right areas for infection control protocols and the like.

The most mental first week I've ever had in any role.

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 22:29 Quote
Good to know when to quit, James. I think you do.

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 22:30 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
jamezyo wrote:
Everything and everywhere is shut down . Basically illegal to do anything recreational.
Not for nothing but, this sure as shit doesn't sound like the "government plays a very small role in" your life.

Liberty isn't for everyone and it's up to each of us to decide how much liberty we can stand. For my part, I'll die on my feet before I live on my knees.
Ya man! Mabey we don’t have liberty in Canada . I’ve never had to scrutinize the amount of liberty i own or have or want .
Is that weird . USA is way more patriotic than Canada everyday of the week.

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 22:44 Quote
I don’t know if this will resonate... but from where I’ve been the government seems to be doing what people want

When we were in Moab... locals didn’t want us there and certainly didn’t want people out playing... within weeks the counties shut it down (seemingly doing what their citizens asked)

Citizens in Dman’s town and in my town are the same... they don’t want people coming there and the various levels of government are responding to those desires.

Maybe we’ve been tricked into taking away our own liberties

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 22:46 Quote
Congrats on week one Relapse! Stay safe!!!

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 22:55 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
Congrats on week one Relapse! Stay safe!!!

Cheers dude. The hospital is locked down tight as you'd expect from the professionals. Strict protocols in place to prevent cross-contamimtion. Great to see so many people working hard to support the frontline workers, our numbers of infected are quite low as is our fatalities. It's mostly London who are high with casualties and high with f*ckery and blatantly ignoring social distancing.

I reckon they'll be a phased removal of our restrictions and the capital will be last. But we'll have spikes throughout the year as new cases pop up until they nail testing and a vaccine for the vulnerable.

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 22:58 Quote
Can you imagine the look on the cops face when I say f*ck you bud!!! Leroy said so! Lol
All kidding aside I don’t mean to be ignorant or to just troll unknowingly. I learn new shit everyday.

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 23:02 Quote
jamezyo wrote:
f*ck you bud!!! Leroy said so!

If I had money... I’d buy this shirt tup

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 23:59 Quote
I am (was) a scientist. Exceptionally well trained in all things data analysis and modeling. My thesis co-advisor is one of the well known statisticians in the world. I wrote models and methods people use - from climate modeling to epidemiology. I trust data.

I was not dismissive of the dangers of this virus. I was not dismissive of the bad optics of lots of older people dying in pain.

I closely observe what is going on. My conclusion as of today is that measures taken by politicians, eager to be useful and in control, are shit. They don't do much. This Chinese shit will run its course, go away in summer, return in fall, and will be mostly defeated when vaccines are available. It will not go away completely, but will be a part of seasonal flu, in some slowly mutating form.

We will have more indirect deaths from the economic self destruction we inflicted upon ourselves. But that does not make for snazzy graphs and charts to scare the populace.

Ignore the bullshit. It's ok to get out.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 1:02 Quote
I wouldn't call it all bullshit.

Figure there's been what... 90,000 deaths in 3 months.

If you figure standard flu does... 550k a year (numbers ranges to less and more than that. That's like 46,000 a month. So Covid is doing 30k a month compared to 46,000. But it's new and it's reach is WAY less established. And it's being aggressively fought.

Even with the curves dipping it'll average out to the same as flu within a couple months. And that's with aggressive treatment pretty much world wide. Imagine what would be happening if nothing was being done while they work on vaccines.

I try to be pretty balanced and not being allowed to ride my bike sucks... but my wife is in the face of this shit every day and it's not pretty.

In the long run it will be tough to say what effect all this shit really had on it. It's clear what the effects on the economy and our lives are so it's easy to get pissed and go... f*ck it. It's just the flu. Well the flu started off pretty freaking gnarly too....

I'm kinda on the conservative side of the middle on this one.

It's not o.k. to get out... I'll literally get a f*cking ticket. I'd prefer to just stay close to home. Kids will survive missing the beach for a week or two. And I can't ride anyways. I sold my bike and need to order a full drive train to finish the new one. LOL!

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 3:15 Quote
The flu season generally is October through March per the CDC 550,000÷6 months= 91,666 deaths per month. Yes the flu is year round but the "season" is half ( sounds like we are discussing sports ) . . . Man I miss Baseball :+(

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 7:04 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
jamezyo wrote:
f*ck you bud!!! Leroy said so!

If I had money... I’d buy this shirt tup
I'd buy one for sure! If only we knew a guy who makes t shirts....

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 7:09 Quote
I have been thinking about all of the effects of this pandemic and a few things are really sticking in my mind.

1-This is just a practice run! as per a really good friend of mine who is a respiratory therapist at a hospital and she told me point blank that yeah this a nasty flu and the problem is not getting infected as it's mostly like other flus for most people. It's when they show at the hospital barely able to breathe and need a ventilator for many weeks, then it becomes a competition for resources. The old and compromised immunity will be more affected (they are in a regular flu year as well). But this virus is not that scary compared to all the other shit that they don't know how to address, flesh eating bacteria, MERS (another flu that kills 30% of infected). When another pandemic hits we will hopefully have learned what to do and it won't turn the world upside down even if the next one is more dangerous.

2-this will force a certain amount of evolution. Google Pat Robertson blow on Covid 19 to save the righteous from this satanic disease. it will probably continue to reduce the amount of people that believe in religion and those religions will have to make some changes like not dipping your fingers in holy water to do a cross sign when you enter the church. Other religions also will need to change their habits. For example they had to bring police in Quebec to enforce people from gathering to do their daily prayers at a mosque. Certain businesses will need to change their hygiene protocols if they want to be more resistant to the next pandemic. Online shopping is now the norm (I can hear Jeff Bezzos laughing now!) what will we do in this new normal to support our community and our local businesses as some of them will have been devastated by these measures.

3-Is there a revolution coming? if the government decides to demand that we must all be tested and if positive to provide contact tracing from our phone or use facial recognition software to analyze who we have been in contact with, what will that create. I can see BBLB's point that you don't want give your freedoms and rightfully so as these measures could be taken and become permanent. Talk about Big Brother!!!!!!

I am mulling these thoughts in my mind as I hope going back to normal life will happen little bit by little bit and that we will all be happy that it did not kill as many people as it could have.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 7:11 Quote
Thanks Leroy and Axxe, I've been back and forth with this situation. Part of me is freaked out and part says f*ck it keep living. One of my staff called yesterday saying she woke up with a sore throat and super tired, the freaked out part of me kicked in all day. After reading your posts I'm coming back into living as normal as I can.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020705
Mobile Version of Website