Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
O+
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 7:37 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
I've always been a big fan of the "f*ck the locals" approach... I don't care if it's surf, snow, skate, ride; whatever... the whole "local" idea has always been a giant bowl of douchebaggery and it's only being adopted for expanding interests now.

Yeah, I can see what you mean when you waltz into town looking for powder in winter or trails in the summer. Most of the time the skiing/riding locals won't take you to the goods unless you are "vetted" by a local then usually you can get some real good times going!

I think wherever you go there is some people who have a very small World that they live in and they don't like it to be disturbed. That or you are like that woman who called the cops because a black man told her to put her dog on a leash and proceeded to be the most hated person in NYC!
that's douchebaggery!
that's her higness Karen!
that's so wrong on so many levels that even in normal times, she should face the music for her actions and it's not just an apology and getting fired for being a racist. the biggest problem is that while most of us are coping with covid restrictions, she's out there spewing lies to make herself feel better and I don't think her attitude is going to change much.
sorry rant over!
I had to get it out of my chest.

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 7:40 Quote
powerflower wrote:
Is it a reasonable precaution to wear a mask when trail riding? Im uncertain.
Serious posting a sec (sorry) as I lost my graduate supervisor last month to this stuff and have a partner with a lot of dire preexistings: I went on my first 5k run the other day and I wore a double layered tshirt mask. Wasn't terrible honestly, but I wouldn't do it if it were hot. As I understand I am protecting the others from my huffing and puffing it certainly did that. Biking? Well I'd probably die if I tried a mask that thick, but I'd probably die biking anyway in my current form.

The biggest thing I noticed though is that it made my allergies tons better. This year has been brutal for me already so silver lining?
billbek wrote:
Wow, just reading about the conflict between Alberta travelers and BC residents in the interior towns.
The comment sections is pure gold if you are mining for small mindedness... One side, which is a small minority in BC, using the health issue to justify acting out against those from out of province and the other side displaying some amazing entitlement to access.
I won't be heading into BC until they relax the travel restrictions.
The old tit for tat relationship the provincial governments of Alb and BC currently have needs to change.
Unfortunately the small mindedness and entitlement may be harder to change.
Yeah let the douches on both sides fight it out on the battlefield of the comments section, where business is very serious.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 7:42 Quote
The 2 sided message the government is sending out is fueling the fire. You can't have it both ways, soft opening? Wtf? Were either open or closed to visitors, if the government wants to be closed then enforce it, other wise let's get back to living.

The Karen's around here are bitching about travellers and using the "well the government said" reason for their bitching.

Leroy your "f*ck the locals" is a slippery slope. I can agree if the locals try to keep visitors off trails or beaches as it's a semi free country but many times we get screwed by visitors who abuse our area. It's usually a small percentage of visitors who cause issues but they leave a bad taste in locals mouth and then the tourist hate talk snowballs.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 7:49 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
You need to appreciate some of the context of localisim in the BC interior. The true root of it has do with housing affordability. With a rise in people buying second homes, local families with local jobs are unable to afford to live in the communities they grew up in for generations. Home prices are rising because of a demand fueled from farther away, and local work doesn't pay the bills.

Its one thing if your property value increases because of a thriving, viable local economy, but its very challenging when you are priced out of your own neighborhood by people who only visit in long weekends and the summer.

Its not true tourism, realistically these second homes hurt the economy in these regions more than it helps.

Having lived in Fernie for 5 years, I really understand that angle. However, these second home owners, usually tend to be financially stable and they tend to spend quite a bit in the community, grocery, ski hill, sport shops etc...
They may not live in their house 7 days a week but they sure make the tourism go around. Most locals have deep roots in the area and it has caused people to move out of Fernie and buy a place in Sparwood or Jaffray or somewhere cheaper than a resort town.
The situation in the Okanagan has been slightly different and the same in that, wineries have exploded and every piece of dirt is being used for food or wine production and on top of this, people have moved out of Vancouver because they were priced out by all the Chinese immigrants that snapped up properties in their bid to get away from China. So who do you blame there? the immigrants or the people that got displaced from Vancouver? people trying to start a winery?or the Okanagan locals?

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 7:50 Quote
d-man wrote:
The 2 sided message the government is sending out is fueling the fire. You can't have it both ways, soft opening? Wtf? Were either open or closed to visitors, if the government wants to be closed then enforce it, other wise let's get back to living.

The Karen's around here are bitching about travellers and using the "well the government said" reason for their bitching.

Leroy your "f*ck the locals" is a slippery slope. I can agree if the locals try to keep visitors off trails or beaches as it's a semi free country but many times we get screwed by visitors who abuse our area. It's usually a small percentage of visitors who cause issues but they leave a bad taste in locals mouth and then the tourist hate talk snowballs.

Like giant piles of backcountry garbage, disposed of tents / sleeping bags/ smoldering fires/ small fortune in empties..... Thats my favorite gift.

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 7:55 Quote
jerome wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:
You need to appreciate some of the context of localisim in the BC interior. The true root of it has do with housing affordability. With a rise in people buying second homes, local families with local jobs are unable to afford to live in the communities they grew up in for generations. Home prices are rising because of a demand fueled from farther away, and local work doesn't pay the bills.

Its one thing if your property value increases because of a thriving, viable local economy, but its very challenging when you are priced out of your own neighborhood by people who only visit in long weekends and the summer.

Its not true tourism, realistically these second homes hurt the economy in these regions more than it helps.

Having lived in Fernie for 5 years, I really understand that angle. However, these second home owners, usually tend to be financially stable and they tend to spend quite a bit in the community, grocery, ski hill, sport shops etc...
They may not live in their house 7 days a week but they sure make the tourism go around. Most locals have deep roots in the area and it has caused people to move out of Fernie and buy a place in Sparwood or Jaffray or somewhere cheaper than a resort town.
The situation in the Okanagan has been slightly different and the same in that, wineries have exploded and every piece of dirt is being used for food or wine production and on top of this, people have moved out of Vancouver because they were priced out by all the Chinese immigrants that snapped up properties in their bid to get away from China. So who do you blame there? the immigrants or the people that got displaced from Vancouver? people trying to start a winery?or the Okanagan locals?

and I think this an important consideration in the Alberta Vs BC debate.... Issues with travel during COVID and second home purchases driving home prices are not exclusively caused by Alberta residences. There are plenty examples of BC residents causing the same issues in other BC communities. Its also kind of crazy to suggest you cant visit the kootaneys from alberta, but you can visit from Vancouver

And the resorts are taking booking from people from all over the country. The Ontario plates are already here for summer and the Quebec fruit pickers are setting up their squats in the parks.... If you are going to get mad a red plate, you really should spread out your hate.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 8:03 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:

There is a lot of truth to this. I have been looking at property in a small interior town in the west Kootenays. Population plummets in the late fall and the number who inhabit the town in the winter is a fraction of the summer months. It is not just the folks from away that disappear in the winter but many of the local business owners and retirees.
If I find that magic chunk of real estate I might still consider it for a retirement property regardless of the discriminatory nature of the locals and their government towards out of province owners.

The Windermere valley, Fernie, Shushwap and the Okanagan are classic examples as to what CMC is talking about. I wonder how many owners from away become residents after retirement.

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 8:11 Quote
We have a right to live where we chose in this country, as established under the charter.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 8:33 Quote
billbek wrote:
The Windermere valley, Fernie, Shushwap and the Okanagan are classic examples as to what CMC is talking about. I wonder how many owners from away become residents after retirement.

... after Air BnB'ing the property for how many years before? I mean, that seems to be the common plan. Buy, short term rent until you're ready to move, then go there full time. The guy I bought my wife's bike from in Fernie had a Vancouver phone number and was just there "once in a while". Other than crossing an imaginary line, he traveled from a greater distance than we did (coming from Calgary).

The problem with finger pointing is everyone deserves it.

Locals
Tourists
Real estate investors

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 8:43 Quote
Not to worry, after the economy collapses there will be other things for us to collectively point fingers at.

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 8:54 Quote
Locals... non locals... just try and be respectful of the area and things usually work out. If you’re not showing up as a doosh chances are you’ll be welcomed to a certain level... if you’re still in there after a while...the depths of your acceptance increases. I have always tried to be welcoming and am usually welcomed in return... there’s been vibed out times for sure but truth be told I’m not looking to chill with some vibed out local with a chip on their shoulder anywayz...

And hell even locals keep shit from other locals... everyone has their secrets. Wink

O+
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 9:01 Quote
Yeah we live in a major MTB tourism hot spot and the demand on the local trail systems is crazy. I will help anyone out who is looking for a trail and recommend trails that are clearly on the map for them to ride in Cumberland without issue. I wont tell them there is a sweet riding destination 15min away that I feel is far better especially in the spring early summer but if I see someone out there I will help them find their way the best I can. It doesn't hurt that Forbidden Plateau is somewhat on the rougher side and most tourists are not looking to ride that.

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 9:08 Quote
Funny story about jaded locals. I know two very well, and until last year they had never meet each other.

It took VJ and the other guy a total of 15 seconds before they were in each others face about who the f*ck one another was, what they were doing in their backyard.

Once they realized they were both equally alpha locals, they kissed and made up.

We all lol'ed pretty hard about that one.

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 9:46 Quote
I live in a very locals only location. Santa Cruz. Valley go hone is very common to gear. Especially right now because the Bay Area is coming here in mass the last 2 months and leaving trash everywhere and getting our beaches and parks shut down... or at least create big so much of an issue that it’s actually being enforced.

In the snow world I ride a small mountain. Little group there called the powder pigs. 25 years before they realized my brother and I where riding the same shot they were... faster.

The soft bounds where labeled a few years ago to increase the advertisable size of the mountain. I refuse to tell people what’s going on where back there. But if I find you lost out there I’ll help you get home. Happens every year.

Posted: May 27, 2020 at 10:16 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:

So... the area represents an economy that's unsustainable in the absence of holiday tourists, yet you support shunning the holiday tourists that are responsible for propping up the economy?

Seems like a self-defeating perspective. Those holiday tourists and the air-bnb baggers they rent to are the people that are pouring money into the local economy that sustains those local jobs and supports its growth and maintenance. Blaming an absence of existing home ownership by generational locals is disingenuous... if they've been there for generations but didn't buy in before the second home out of towner boom then it wasn't the rising prices of second home out of towners' market pressure that was stopping them.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.068168
Mobile Version of Website