Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 11:07 Quote
leverfingers wrote:
Mountain biking is POPULAR now. People rock up to Whistler for a golf vacation and send their kids to bike camp in the park. Son talks Dad into trying a day in the park. Dad goes into park with full rented gear, thinking it's some sort of amusement park ride or something. As in everything has been made safe and is certified or something. And so Dad just follows Son down A-line, matching speed and doing the jumps until he doesn't make one.

And a couple Dads have been killed here over the years. And more than a few have had life changing injuries.

And then there's plain old bad luck. And bad luck or a spazzy move can happen to anybody - Jordie is a good example of that.

I know that's not the case, but it almost feels like the jumps are certified there. Maybe because the take offs and landings are usually consistent on a run, with nice wide open landings. I know whenever I go there I feel like a rockstar by the end of the week, then I return to my home trails with the big gap jumps and I'm like "nope, even through I hit jumps as big as that last week, the engineers at Whistler didn't design and certify it so it probably has sketchy take off, and that landing is pretty narrow, with trees all around it".

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 11:32 Quote
Sorry Bob but there's a big difference between something going wrong in that Whistler video from dragging a young kid down an advanced trail they shouldn't be on.Too me it sounds like a selfish parent who just can't take a day to ride easy trails with his family. God forbid the "adult" might be un-challenged by the family ride that day. I don't know all the factors but I'm going with that because I have seen it first hand on the trails many times.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 12:02 Quote
For those who are familiar with the trail in invermere, if the kid made it to the cliff/escarpment/canyon their ability level was good. Similar to crashing on crank it up at Whistler, if you made it to the bridge feature where dude crashes you had the basic ability to be there... shit happens.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 12:17 Quote
d-man wrote:
Nice whip shred.

So we had an unfortunate incident that ended up with an 8year old falling off a trail down an embankment. Her fall was stopped by a hoodoo formation luckily or else it was another 90m to the creek and required s+r to rappell down to extract her.
This trail is authorized and is intermediate level, has been used by 1000s of people without issue. There is lots of signage stating caution cliffs but the government said trail needed re routing after their incident.

Another example of dumbing down a trail because someone can't use good judgment. I feel for the kid but ffs parents taking your kid out for the first time biking in the mountains and you take her on an intermediate level trail? This is not Disney world this is the mountains, They are beautiful but can kill you.

I think I know which part you're talking about and I think my 6 year old would take the optional lower exposure trail not too far away.

Some people are dumb.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 12:38 Quote
D-man said it was an intermediate trail that 1000s of people have gone down. Do we know for a fact that the kid was out of her element and was dragged up there by her parents? Was it the kids first time on the trail? Maybe the family was just visiting the area, saw that it was a blue trail and thought it was within the ability of their daughter? A few years ago In Fenie an experienced adult rider had a freak, low speed crash on a green tail called Lazy Lizard, and ended up breaking a couple of vertebrae. Just pointing out that accidents happen. A lot of assumptions being made here, maybe we should give them the benefit of the doubt until more details come out?

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 12:45 Quote
I did say I didn’t know all the factors. However giving people the benefit of the doubt usually ends up with a “Aaah Ha, there’s the problem” moment. Maybe I’m wrong on this one.
Was it you? Do you know the people involved?

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 13:39 Quote
I’m not eight years old... that’s just when my brain development stopped Eek

I’m familiar with the trail and it has my name but I imagine DmAn has infinitely more insight than myself.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 15:12 Quote
Just sat in a restaurant with my kids and had a burger... never thought that would be big news.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 15:20 Quote
Not me, I don't know the parties involved, and I've never been on the trail. Sound like the accident happened a few weeks ago:

https://www.nelsonstar.com/news/young-girl-flown-to-calgary-after-mountain-biking-accident-near-invermere/

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 15:33 Quote
So today they hospitalised a mounted female police officer, defaced a Statue of Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill and the Cenotaph.

I'll be honest, I'd definitely send some .50 their way. Absolute shit-houses.

Rant complete. How you all doing?

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 15:36 Quote
Anyone who does not see that those “protests” are provoked on purpose by Democrats as election year politics is blind.

Black male is hundred times more likely to be killed by another black male than by white. They don’t care.

They will burn and loot when told over a death of a violent felon, who previously robbed a pregnant woman at a gun point, who was high on meth, passed fake bills, and aggressively resisted arrest. Oh, look, bad shit happened to him due to an overzealous cop. Surprise.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 15:45 Quote
Liberal media propaganda and people eat that sh*t up for some reason ! If you don't like it here go ahead and move to another "free" country

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 15:48 Quote
On the 76th anniversary of D-Day no less! I forgot to add that. Seems loads of other cities in the UK had peaceful protests, just not London. Mostly because it's full of shit-houses.

f*ck them, and f*ck their movement.

RelapsedMandalorian wrote:
So today they hospitalised a mounted female police officer, defaced a Statue of Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill and the Cenotaph.

I'll be honest, I'd definitely send some .50 their way. Absolute shit-houses.

Rant complete. How you all doing?

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 21:47 Quote
Shit. Just had an officer Kia in Santa Cruz.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 22:46 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
Shit. Just had an officer Kia in Santa Cruz.

Was just reading that. f*cked up.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.041354
Mobile Version of Website