Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: 1 days ago Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
husstler wrote:
That's a good looking bike. I'd really get into a Diverge.

Does the head tube shock thingie work as advertised?
Sort of... it works better if you ride a more upright position that doesn't weight the front end but then you run into issues cornering. The more casual your position, the more it shines. Riding my typical road position where I have it now, I'm putting enough weight on it that it's preloaded like 50-60% so it doesn't work as well as it could if they offered adjustable springs or an air spring you could pump up as needed. It also deals much better with singular hits than repeated impacts like a washboard road. But it definitely works and does a decent job smoothing things out, as good or better than Trek's ISOSpeed setup but it's a fair bit heavier and adds a lot of complexity into the headset setup... which is just a huge pain in the ass; removing 10mm of spacers took me about an hour of trying to figure out how to adjust the headset and then doing it.

It really excels in its balance though. Most other gravel bikes have ridden don't have a balanced feel front to back... like the Checkpoint for example; really great rear end with ISOSpeed and adjustable chainstay length but the front end lacks the ISOSpeed setup the Domane has and feels way more road oriented. Similar critique of the Topstone and URS... The Diverge feels much more purpose built and well matched overall. I'm really happy with it. Setting out to ride today, I was only planning on a quick ten mile spin but just kept rolling. On the road, it rolls along as well as your expect from a modern road bike but doesn't quite have the same responsiveness of a road race frame. Not necessarily a bad thing, especially for mountain bikers looking to mix it up who aren't used to the twitchy response of a road bike. In the dirt, the rear end and the seat post flex just enough to take the edge off and match up with the future shock setup really well. Really predictable handling, in sandy patches and loose gravel where more roadie type bikes wash out and tuck the wheel the Diverge just pushes into a controlled drift until it finds some bite and then comes right back on line.

Specialized also has some interesting saddles... I've heard good things about them but never ridden one until now. Whatever saddle this is, it's pretty damn comfortable... not 100% sure it fits my ass right just yet, need to spend some time adjusting position a bit it's the first house branded saddle I got on a bike that I didn't immediately bin.

And a huge bit of applause to Shimano for the GRX 810 kit... brakes are strong with great lever feel and the shift performance is not far off my Dura Ace mechanical groupset.

Only complaint I have is the wheels... they're pretty trash IMO. Sub $4k doesn't generally get you great wheels but these seem especially dead feeling. Could be that I'm just spoiled riding fairly nice carbon wheels on all my bikes for the last few years and even longer on my road bikes but I really get the impression that this wheelset is really holding back the overall performance. The tires aren't helping them make their case but they're passable... not remotely supple but otherwise decent. I'll probably swap them out for something a bit wider than 38c, go 40c or maybe even 42c, with a bit higher thread count but these Spesh tires are decent enough that I'm in no hurry.
Indeed quite the review. I’m ok at figuring out if things don’t feel right and usually figure out some changes in suspension or braking on my mtb. However I would be lost trying to set up a road bike. I haven’t owned one of those for almost 15 years

swan3609 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
husstler wrote:
That's a good looking bike. I'd really get into a Diverge.

Does the head tube shock thingie work as advertised?
I'm putting enough weight on it that it's preloaded like 50-60% so it doesn't work as well as it could if they offered adjustable springs or an air spring you could pump up as needed.

There are 3 different spring rates available.. We usually install the medium spring at the shop. But reach bike comes with 3 different one. Can't remember colors, but I thought the Yellow was the medium.. Worth checking.
Apparently those are only for the non-adjustable version of the shock. On the adjustable version, you can only dial the compression knob. Or so says the manual.

badbadleroybrown wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

I'm putting enough weight on it that it's preloaded like 50-60% so it doesn't work as well as it could if they offered adjustable springs or an air spring you could pump up as needed.

There are 3 different spring rates available.. We usually install the medium spring at the shop. But reach bike comes with 3 different one. Can't remember colors, but I thought the Yellow was the medium.. Worth checking.
Apparently those are only for the non-adjustable version of the shock. On the adjustable version, you can only dial the compression knob. Or so says the manual.

Oh yep.. Forgot about that.

Posted: 24 hours ago Quote
Axxe wrote:
powerflower wrote:
Axxe wrote:

My left knee is more intelligent and better educated than you, pitiful interwebs troll.

I suggest you do not post here anymore.

Poor retort. Try another decaf latte. Then come back at me.

If you think I came back at you, you are as mistaken as ever. I give zero f*cks about morons. You are an idiot and the only reason I engage in a conversation with the likes of you is the rest of the audience here. They may be mildly entertained and will be grateful when you are gone.
I really want to meet the flower f*ck!

Posted: 21 hours ago Quote
PF has officially generated more engagement than any of the Crankworx coverage thanks to us droopy genital geniuses who can’t ignore trolling for more than two seconds lol

mtnmanjake wrote:
PF has officially generated more engagement than any of the Crankworx coverage thanks to us droopy genital geniuses who can’t ignore trolling for more than two seconds lol

Lol...
Don't feed the troll(s).
Like wrestling with a pig. You both get covered in crap and the pig likes it...

billbek wrote:
Lol...
Don't feed the troll(s).

Genuinely funny.

mtnmanjake wrote:

How do you know, trolling?

Content I don’t like = trolling
Content I don’t understand = trolling
Content I disagree with = trolling
Content that challenges my worldview = trolling
Content I didn’t write = trolling
Content my friends didn’t write = trolling

Always the trolling?

billbek wrote:
mtnmanjake wrote:

Lol...
Don't feed the troll(s).
For the record pigs don't like rolling in their crap. They do like mud though.

The crankworx coverage is meh.... The idea is cool though. I don't think they should post the results so quick, toss out some video clips, pump it up a little and announce the results the next day. Maybe toss in a few regular Joe's into the mix to show how fast the pros are? Work in progress I guess.

Posted: 19 hours ago Quote
Off to get tested for the chinaflu. I got what I thought was heat exhaustion on Wednesday, but 4 days later I still have a headache and feel like I got hit by a train... With wife in heltcare, it is the responsible thing to do.

swan3609 wrote:
Off to get tested for the chinaflu. I got what I thought was heat exhaustion on Wednesday, but 4 days later I still have a headache and feel like I got hit by a train... With wife in heltcare, it is the responsible thing to do.

I had it, takes it out of you for a whole week. Your younger, so hoping for a swift recovery

Soupherb wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

I had it, takes it out of you for a whole week. Your younger, so hoping for a swift recovery

Few of our good friends had it too.. The one that is a national level triathlete was seriously on her ass for like 8 days.. Her sister that's lazy as shit and doesn't do anything? Said she was tired for 2 days and couldn't taste anything..

Weird how it affects people differently.

I am not one to get headaches, so a few days in a row of them combined with wanting to sleep 16 hours a day has me really suspicious..

Compared to the images, commentary, video, quality of trail, etc in the “not a race test sessions”, the Crankworx coverage is like watching paint dry.

Wonder what happened to Tippie doing commentary... not saying he was awesome but he’s a whole lot more interesting than what’s going on now.

swan3609 wrote:
Soupherb wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

Few of our good friends had it too.. The one that is a national level triathlete was seriously on her ass for like 8 days.. Her sister that's lazy as shit and doesn't do anything? Said she was tired for 2 days and couldn't taste anything..

Weird how it affects people differently.

I am not one to get headaches, so a few days in a row of them combined with wanting to sleep 16 hours a day has me really suspicious..

Ridiculously tired most days was my experience. 'fit for shit' springs to mind

A few sweats and you will be back

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021380
Mobile Version of Website