Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 20:34 Quote
No need for more pressure. Like a coke head stockbroker from the 80's, I take all the best lines. lol

Also...

Maxxis... accept no substitutions..

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 20:36 Quote
I like the idea of no sealant in the valve. I seem to get away with low pressures and Exo casing, but the sidewall stiffness of a DH casing is can really add confidence in the park. Trade off is weight for sure, I can't run them on my trail bike.
Buddy has a Transition Patrol set up with DH minions, tubes, e bike rotors coil Ohlins f+r and it is a tank. Shop guys weighed it for shits and giggles and it was 39lbs.

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 20:40 Quote
Exo front and DD back is great. No cores... no problem and I am 200+ lbs and usually hover pressures in the high teens to low 20’s depending on the trail / speed etc.

Definitely want some of those no clog stems though!

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 20:41 Quote
Lots o good info! Thanks guys !

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 20:52 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
I don't know how you guys run such little pressure... I'm running a 2.3" out back and a 2.4" up front and I run 38psi rear and 32psi front.

I could probably rip a bead if I really tried to but not in just normal aggressive riding.

Run man sized tires instead of wannabe road tires and you could drop some pressure.. 28psi in a 2.6 DH cashing with Cushcore is really firm.

38psi is what I run my CX tires at.. lol
Jesus, how big are your cx tires??? I run 54/50 in 38mm gravel tires lol

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 20:58 Quote
move along... nothing to see here

just one dude asking another dude about the size of his rubber, whether they put inserts in their rear, and how hard they like it

lol

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 21:00 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Exo front and DD back is great. No cores... no problem and I am 200+ lbs and usually hover pressures in the high teens to low 20’s depending on the trail / speed etc.

I knew you would come back to Maxxis Sterling, happens every time. Smile

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 21:18 Quote
leverfingers wrote:
Foam inserts are not for me. However, some of my employees, youngsters who tear the park a new a*shole every day, say that they are very good for sidewall support in hard cornering situations. They will roll the tire right off the rim at 25 or 30psi, with tubes or tubeless. Cushcore keeps them tires in place.

From what I have read on here over the years, there are probably a few guys in that zone. I think that Jamezyo might be one of those types.
You're correct, James shreds

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 21:56 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
jamezyo wrote:
So I’m ready to go tubeless lol
Insert?? Crushcore?
I have xc casing. I like my tires hard , I sacrifice ride quality and a little traction by not having Flats and having better rolling resistance .
f*ckin 250 for inserts sounds crazy . Tubes are $7 a piece .
Come at me bro!!

And the hype about lower pressure resulting in less rolling resistance isn't true for mountain bikes. It's mildly true when you're talking about 25mm wide road tires at 90psi vs 23mm tires at 120psi but once you get into mountain tires it all falls apart.

Schwalbe says otherwise about MTB. Some good info on this topic here.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/rollwiderstand

“ Which factors affect rolling resistance?
Tire pressure, tire diameter, tire width, tire construction, tire tread and other factors all have an effect on rolling resistance.

On a completely smooth surface the following applies: The higher the inflation pressure, the inferior the tire deformation and thus rolling resistance.

Off road it is exactly the reverse: The lower the inflation pressure, the lower the rolling resistance. This applies equally on hard gravel roads and soft forest tracks. Explanation: A tire with low inflation pressure can adapt better to a rugged surface. It sinks into the ground less and the whole rotational mass is held back much less by the uneven surface.

Tires with a smaller diameter have a higher rolling resistance with the same inflation pressure, because tire deformation is proportionally greater. The tire is flattened more and is “less round”.

Wider tires roll better than narrower tires. This statement generally invokes skepticism, nevertheless, with tires at the same pressure a narrower tire deflects more and so deforms more.”

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 22:08 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
leverfingers wrote:
Foam inserts are not for me. However, some of my employees, youngsters who tear the park a new a*shole every day, say that they are very good for sidewall support in hard cornering situations. They will roll the tire right off the rim at 25 or 30psi, with tubes or tubeless. Cushcore keeps them tires in place.

From what I have read on here over the years, there are probably a few guys in that zone. I think that Jamezyo might be one of those types.
You're correct, James shreds
Shreds cheese maybe!!! Lol
I really like the theory behind Cush core . Dampens square hits and hard landings .
Keeps bead planted into the rim.
Ajax, you been up on new jump trail?
I’m thinking I need some tire suspension.
I really want to start learning that line .
Wooooo wooooooooo

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 22:27 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

I knew you would come back to Maxxis Sterling, happens every time. Smile

I’ll admit it. The newest gen is the shit...instead “of shit”....Wink credit where credit is due...

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 22:35 Quote
You guys talking about how soft you run your man meat?

Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 22:40 Quote
Root beer all the things tup

Posted: Sep 24, 2020 at 0:22 Quote
The Actofive bike on the first page. OMFFFFG!

I understand what it would take to do that. I could do that, or maybe even better, but only in a different world.

I work all the time. I mean, ALL THE TIME, to pay the mortgage on the shop, the machine payments, the payroll, the aluminum, the oil and gas, the seasons pass, the bikes, the skis and all the things. I do it like they do it in China. I fill many boxes with parts every day and send them away for a slim profit. But if somebody could pay all of our bills for a year, I could do a thing of beauty like this.

It is so close, and yet so far from my present reality, that it is shocking.

What a beautiful thing that is.

Active Forum Threads
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025654
Mobile Version of Website