Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 21:58 Quote
My buddies swapped a small block into an rx-7 back in the day it was lighter than a rotary with turbo and almost bolted in with motor mounts and custom drive shaft.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 22:13 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
My buddies swapped a small block into an rx-7 back in the day it was lighter than a rotary with turbo and almost bolted in with motor mounts and custom drive shaft.

One of my old co-workers used to daily drive an FB (first gen RX-7) that he swapped a Ford 5.0L engine into. That thing was awesome! It did eventually start to tear itself apart though, and he had to scrap it. the rear suspension attachment points were being torn out of the body from the torque.

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 22:13 Quote
As far as I know, if you need more power in something you put an LS in it.

They're light, powerful, super available, easy to make run in a shopping cart, can be adapted to just about any drivetrain, and reliable.

Jeeps
Miatas
Old cars
Not that old cars

Just slap an LS in there and go for it. No need to reinvent the wheel.

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 22:14 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
ATV25 wrote:
Motor swap . . . ran into an old friend today driving a 240Z with a LS1. So sweet ! He actually bought my old 260Z from me in 1986. I had not seen him in over 20 years. We both were shocked how fast time has flown by.
In terms of smoking tires, that's awesome... but honestly, that kills everything that made that such a great car. I'd way rather swap in a more modern turbo 6 like the L28ET or even a Toyota 2JZ or late model Mazda 13B. Going small block Chevy is just using a shoehorn and a lack of creativity.
Been sitting on this project for at least a decade. Now that the kids are gone, I think it is time I get started! I have a 1981 280ZX turbo motor waiting to drop in her.

photo

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 22:26 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
ATV25 wrote:
Motor swap . . . ran into an old friend today driving a 240Z with a LS1. So sweet ! He actually bought my old 260Z from me in 1986. I had not seen him in over 20 years. We both were shocked how fast time has flown by.
In terms of smoking tires, that's awesome... but honestly, that kills everything that made that such a great car. I'd way rather swap in a more modern turbo 6 like the L28ET or even a Toyota 2JZ or late model Mazda 13B. Going small block Chevy is just using a shoehorn and a lack of creativity.
Not really, it’s lighter and sits lower in the frame rails.
LS1 really isn't an impressive motor and it's got peaky power output with a limited curve, and it's not light... you can get a number of twin turbo setups at the same weight and get way better performance and driveability out of a turbo. If weight is your big concern you can get well under 400lbs compared to well over 500lbs for an ls1 and brackets and bullshit... or go best of both with the 13B-REW and get more power, better power and torque curve, and save 200 or so pounds on an engine that can put out twice the power of an LS1.

LS1 swaps are the six pack of Molson with a mullet, let's do some burnouts of the import world. Great if all you wanna do is smoke tires or build an easy to work on drift beater but if you're actually putting effort into restoring a classic Z car and that's where you end up, hell nah.

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 22:26 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
ATV25 wrote:
Been sitting on this project for at least a decade. Now that the kids are gone, I think it is time I get started! I have a 1981 280ZX turbo motor waiting to drop in her.

photo

Pay for my room and board, even if it's on a couch in your basement... I'll Come help you turn wrenches to get that thing going, because it's rad!

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 22:27 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
No... it absolutely wasn't.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 22:29 Quote
@BBLB... Tks dude

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 22:30 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
LOL... I am the guy shoving a 12v Cummins into a Ford... That's just as unoriginal as LS Swaping a RX-7 or a miata.

But mine is out of practicality..
Unoriginal but legitimately practical and on a vehicle that doesn't have the heritage that demands anything more than functional workhorse status. Shoving a SBC into a classic import is just lazy.

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 22:31 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
ATV25 wrote:

photo
That's f*cking sweet!

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 22:39 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
swan3609 wrote:
LOL... I am the guy shoving a 12v Cummins into a Ford... That's just as unoriginal as LS Swaping a RX-7 or a miata.

But mine is out of practicality..
Unoriginal but legitimately practical and on a vehicle that doesn't have the heritage that demands anything more than functional workhorse status. Shoving a SBC into a classic import is just lazy.

I tried to buy like 4 old body style 70-90 ford crew cab trucks. Everytime I told someone that I want to put a Cummins in it people would loose their minds about ruining a "classic".

Hell if I could find a 4 cylinder Cummins for my 66 F100, I'd have one in it already..

I get keeping super clean vehicles original.. But when something has had panels already replaced due to rust, replaceing the drivetrain with something else is just making it better at that point..

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 22:42 Quote
Some things are just old, not necessarily showpieces.

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 22:52 Quote
All this gear head talk... I’m gona order factory 38 tomorrow. Should ad 2-3 hp!
I stripped DH bike last night. Sold the fork today. Have a buddy pretty much takin whole 26” build. Gona take the frame and see what giant will do about a warranty frame . They give me cheap 27.5 frame set I might build another dh rig. Until then I just keep building dream trail bike . Slapping my saints on trail bike and sell the brand new codes the bike came with.
I never thought I’d see this day. Trail bike!
To be honest it was lookin back at Darcy on his enduro while we were riding pro star , I was like yup that’s a capable f*ckin bike! Lol f*ckin flyin. Or watch any Matt hunter vid where he’s shredding one .

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 23:08 Quote
jamezyo wrote:
All this gear head talk... I’m gona order factory 38 tomorrow. Should ad 2-3 hp!
I stripped DH bike last night. Sold the fork today. Have a buddy pretty much takin whole 26” build. Gona take the frame and see what giant will do about a warranty frame . They give me cheap 27.5 frame set I might build another dh rig. Until then I just keep building dream trail bike . Slapping my saints on trail bike and sell the brand new codes the bike came with.
I never thought I’d see this day. Trail bike!
To be honest it was lookin back at Darcy on his enduro while we were riding pro star , I was like yup that’s a capable f*ckin bike! Lol f*ckin flyin. Or watch any Matt hunter vid where he’s shredding one .

Dude.. A solid "enduro" bike is soo f*cking good now.. After riding the SJ Evo this summer, I don't really have a reason to ride a DH bike anymore..

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 0:04 Quote
A buddy of mine who's a super novice just bought an Enduro Comp and it's a stupidly capable bike. Really impressive.

Hey Nick, what do you guys charge at your shop to rebuild a wheel? Been blowing out spokes on my rear wheel, finally took it into the shop and asked em to rebuild it; nothing crazy just straight gauge spokes and brass nipples, and they quoted me $180. Seems high... spokes can't be more than like $30 or so, so it's basically all labor. Right?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.063099
Mobile Version of Website