Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 0:20 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
A buddy of mine who's a super novice just bought an Enduro Comp and it's a stupidly capable bike. Really impressive.

Hey Nick, what do you guys charge at your shop to rebuild a wheel? Been blowing out spokes on my rear wheel, finally took it into the shop and asked em to rebuild it; nothing crazy just straight gauge spokes and brass nipples, and they quoted me $180. Seems high... spokes can't be more than like $30 or so, so it's basically all labor. Right?

Spokes are usually fine.. I'll replace the 8 that have been shifted into and then reuse the rest usually. It's the alloy nipples that are blowing out that is the issue.. At least in my experience..

We do $65 for the wheel build labor, then our straight gauge spokes are between .69 and 1.09 depending on color and spoke choice.. Then nipples are between .18-.40 per nip for us.. Most wheels builds come out around 100-120 for us if we are reusing a hoop....

But we are also in bumf*ck cheapass Idaho and our shop has 3 pro wheel builders and 2 Phil Wood machines... So we are definitely more proficient than most..

I don't consider myself in that roll call... I can absolutely calculate spokes, cut them and build a wheel on my own, but we have 3 different mechanics that can do a complete set in under 2 hours.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 0:24 Quote
50% Cali covid markup is about right... I just need to break down and buy a truing stand and learn how to deal with my wheels like I do everything else.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 1:35 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
50% Cali covid markup is about right...

WELCOME BACK ! :-/

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
50% Cali covid markup is about right... I just need to break down and buy a truing stand and learn how to deal with my wheels like I do everything else.

The hard part about building wheels is having spokes the right length.. Our Phil Wood spoke cutter is an absolute godsend.. It's one of the tools that makes me fear going out on my own and not have access to anymore.

How much do one of those cost. I imagine they aren't cheap, Phil Wood products are top notch.

obee1 wrote:
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

Lame. Not a fan of this new network streaming crap.

Me neither, but still can’t wait for next weeks fight. They’re both beasts and I like both fighters, but I want Gaethje, because Merica! He’s just so unassuming and seems like such a nice guy, you wouldn’t even know he was a fighter outside of the cage if it weren’t for his cauliflower ears. Tonight’s main was kind of a lop sided let down. I thought it was going to be a lot closer and more competitive. Taking the DH to the bike park tomorrow. Jailbreak

yeah tonights fight with ortega and zombie was a bit disappointing, but ortega showed a new side to his arsenal, ad zombie lacked a plan B. which was surprising after the leonard garcia wars and yair rodriguez. those were three of the best wars ever.
i think ortega deserves a title bout and i think he can beat volkanovski.
i love both khabib and Gaethje. honourable warriors with unique skillsets and great heart. a wise man has been saying that Gaethje is the worst matchup for khabib due to his high level defensive wrestling background, so i'm excited to see the first person fighting khabib with a chance of winning instead of a hope of not losing.

Yeah, Ortega looked much better than his last fight against Max, that was brutal. And speaking of max, I thought he won the rematch against Volkanovsky. But I agree, I think matches up well with Volkanovsky and he could end up subbing him, but a rematch with max should happen at some point too. That Z looks nice too, I bet it’s a blast to drive.

ATV25 wrote:
How much do one of those cost. I imagine they aren't cheap, Phil Wood products are top notch.

5-6k for new

Used they are usually 2500-3k

badbadleroybrown wrote:

Best money you’ll spend.... and truth be told you dont need some fancy park tool mega stand. Like swan said just have a reputable shop calculate and cut spokes and lace it up yourself.

I am by no means a wheel pro but the handful of sets I have put together have been surprisingly reliable and strong. Only had one set need continued tuning because I rushed preparing the spokes with linseed oil... so take your time and they will be bomber....

A shop without a Phil Wood machine just buys spokes in the right length. Like in 2mm increments. Aren't you guys doing that? Are you really cutting spokes to length for every wheel build?

I mean DT Swiss or Sapim. I think Sapim even does 1mm increments between sizes. DT Swiss is only offered in 2mm in Canada for some reason.

yeah tonights fight with ortega and zombie was a bit disappointing, but ortega showed a new side to his arsenal, ad zombie lacked a plan B. which was surprising after the leonard garcia wars and yair rodriguez. those were three of the best wars ever.
i think ortega deserves a title bout and i think he can beat volkanovski.
i love both khabib and Gaethje. honourable warriors with unique skillsets and great heart. a wise man has been saying that Gaethje is the worst matchup for khabib due to his high level defensive wrestling background, so i'm excited to see the first person fighting khabib with a chance of winning instead of a hope of not losing.[/Quote]

Yeah, Ortega looked much better than his last fight against Max, that was brutal. And speaking of max, I thought he won the rematch against Volkanovsky. But I agree, I think matches up well with Volkanovsky and he could end up subbing him, but a rematch with max should happen at some point too. That Z looks nice too, I bet it’s a blast to drive.[/Quote]

i was disappointed with all of last nights performances. i thought ortega could have changed levels and gotten zombie to the ground and finished without much risk. kinda felt he cruised to the decision.

im low key shattered at lomachenkos very pedestrian defence of his three belts. he deserved the loss but im not sure his opponent deserved the win.

as for volkanovski- im not sure he won either figiht against holloway. he sure as shit didn't beat the champ. he just got the nod. twice.

husstler wrote:
A shop without a Phil Wood machine just buys spokes in the right length. Like in 2mm increments. Aren't you guys doing that? Are you really cutting spokes to length for every wheel build?

I mean DT Swiss or Sapim. I think Sapim even does 1mm increments between sizes. DT Swiss is only offered in 2mm in Canada for some reason.

Probably 80% of our wheel builds we use the straight gauge spokes and cut spokes to length.

The other insainly nice this is repairing broke spokes.. Instead of having to stock 50 different sizes of spokes, you just cut the length you need.

Obviously there are people That want fancy spokes and for that we have stock of bladed, double butted and other specialty spokes.. But the Phil Wood is so nice. I use it multiple times a day.

So much truck envy. I'd love one, but they're hard to find in the UK and totally impractical!

The Blue Pig will have to do!

I just built 4 wheel chair wheels with my buddy. We each built one together, to show him how, and he laced up the other two while I drilled all the extra holes for the hand rims. We threw his spare chair up on a work bench and stuck a dial indicator on each side and had a double truing stand. We trued them side by side.

He had never built a wheel before. Now he knows all he needs to know. He is a sharp guy. He can do his own from now on. He'll be slow on his next few wheels, then he'll be as good as pro.

My buddy has been ripping on his adaptive bike for over 20 years now. He built his own bike and a bunch of others. He's a good fabricator and TIG welder. But building wheels has this weird mystique surrounding it. Now he is a wheel builder on top of all that.

Is Troy Brosnan better because he is ALWAYS on the podium (but rarely on top)? Or is Loic better because he wins sometimes (but sometimes he is 20th)?

you’re better if the media and fans give you the lime light

Troy has a quiet personality like Hill... so to stand out he needs the wins.

The fans made Bruni larger than life with the Super Bruni banners... media will talk about him whether he wins or not

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021858
Mobile Version of Website