Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 16:14 Quote
ster im glad your bus looks cool. im glad you coul walk thru it as well.
if anyone deserves a win its you bro. keep drinking your milk as my mom would say.

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 16:30 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
Retirement Island fever...

Been looking at properties from the east coast to the west coast of Canada... the tiny limited access islands offer some incredible values.

The tough part is trying to crystal ball just how slow a life we’ll be content with as we get more sedentary. I Imagine hermiting on an island is pretty damn slow.

I’m weird af already... a few years of just me talking to baby goats on an island would perhaps be a step too far Eek

whoadragon wrote:
As long as your just talking to them.....

He said goats, not sheep! Smile

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 16:38 Quote
Bought the 16" makita cordless saw today.. Ran2 loads of debris to the dump today for a total of 7500lbs. Never started my big saw. I am pretty happy overall.. Definitely have to prioritize Chain speed over torque but overall very happy.. Would recommend.

I know labor work is hard on the body, but kicking ass for a day and making almost $500 by running saws and driving good size loads in the truck and trailer is pretty fulfilling work compared to the bike shop.

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 18:45 Quote
obee1 wrote:
i have five chainsaws and two are electric. but corded. i love those saws a lot and figure the battery saws would likely work quite well. but i have lots of angle grinders too and the battery ones dont work as well as corded.

i would look at milwaukee first out of personal experience bias. i own tons of dewalt power tools too but am frustrated with their track record of changing thier charging platforms. milwaukee for me has a preferable charging station and battery life record. for me.
makita has let me down once too many times to continue buying their products.

i like islands, but my island life has only experienced haida gwaii, hawaii, new zealand and a buncha small ontario islands. and whatever you call new brunswick and nova scotia.
haida gwaii would be awesome to retire on.

watching UFC pay per views in the middle of the day was unique. i won't ruin it but the fights were entertaining and surprising as well.

For cordless I like Milwaukee or Hilti. The rest of it is a second choice if you ask me.

SterMag:
Happy you're happy with the Sterling Stool. How long until she sets sail?

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 18:52 Quote
husstler wrote:
obee1 wrote:
i have five chainsaws and two are electric. but corded. i love those saws a lot and figure the battery saws would likely work quite well. but i have lots of angle grinders too and the battery ones dont work as well as corded.

i would look at milwaukee first out of personal experience bias. i own tons of dewalt power tools too but am frustrated with their track record of changing thier charging platforms. milwaukee for me has a preferable charging station and battery life record. for me.
makita has let me down once too many times to continue buying their products.

i like islands, but my island life has only experienced haida gwaii, hawaii, new zealand and a buncha small ontario islands. and whatever you call new brunswick and nova scotia.
haida gwaii would be awesome to retire on.

watching UFC pay per views in the middle of the day was unique. i won't ruin it but the fights were entertaining and surprising as well.

For cordless I like Milwaukee or Hilti. The rest of it is a second choice if you ask me.

SterMag:
Happy you're happy with the Sterling Stool. How long until she sets sail?

I wanted to get into Milwaukee when I was young.... But dad was already so far bought into Makita that it didn't make sense for me to do anything but Makita to join him. Overall it's been pretty good. We have killed a single drill while drilling 1" holes in 1" steel. But that's pretty abusive.

I have given my grinder many a hot supper and my impact wrench is my absolute favorite car work tool.

Blower and weedeater are handy and easy to use so the wife can actually use them versus gas powered stuff.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 18:54 Quote
Cheers... yes its super fun can’t wait to head out.

More good news dropped today, landlord found renters for our house so we’re out of it end of November... then we’ll find a furnished short term month to month rental. Likely leave January at some point. This legs going to need to marinate a while.

We were supposed to be leaving in like two or three weeks, but at this point I’ll just be happy to be doing it at all.

The thing feels open. Big. So its going to be a comfortable excursion.

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 20:06 Quote
Awesome stuff Sterling tup

Last year I think we were a bit surprised by how few places in the SW had nice weather in December and January.

This year we were scheduled to be back at Catalina Spa in desert hot springs for The New Year had the border been open.

So crazy surreal to not be down there this winter :/

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 20:21 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
Awesome stuff Sterling tup

Last year I think we were a bit surprised by how few places in the SW had nice weather in December and January.

This year we were scheduled to be back at Catalina Spa in desert hot springs for The New Year had the border been open.

So crazy surreal to not be down there this winter :/

Hopefully February and beyond will be decent...if they do ever open the borders we should rendezvous

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 20:46 Quote
Kanyes on rogan. I've come to realize and appreciate that there's brilliance in some of the music that yeezy made, and this podcast is galvanizing my opinion on the difficult relationship genius has with insanity.

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 21:10 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Hopefully February and beyond will be decent...if they do ever open the borders we should rendezvous

Rendez-poos

Gonna be Fall 2021 at the earliest for to us head south I think as the spring and summer look like they’ll be pedal to the metal busy. This retirement life got rammajammed somehow.

You come north and we roll out the maple syrup carpet for you Salute

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 21:26 Quote
Island lifer here. Retiring someplace like Hornby or Quadra Island would be nice. Powell river area would be good and is still comparatively cheap with lots of riding close by.

Ferries still suck though

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 23:08 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Island lifer here. Retiring someplace like Hornby or Quadra Island would be nice. Powell river area would be good and is still comparatively cheap with lots of riding close by.

Ferries still suck though

I just got back from a week on the Island (Vancouver Island, for those who don't know)! Unfortunately, didn't get any riding in... I had a lot of catch up reading to do on here tonight though! But speaking of Island life, yeah, I'd love to move out there too, but damn, prices are going up FAST. Everyone seems to be catching on and leaving the cities. The Comox Valley area is nice, lots of good riding around there. I'll have to check out Powell River sometime.

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 23:33 Quote
I’m in the Comox Valley we are definitely spoiled here that’s for sure. Luckily we got into the housing market 2 years ago and places are going for almost $100k more already.

Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 23:44 Quote
Feels good to see some of my work pop up from time to time. Proud of the rampage projects.

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2020 at 23:47 Quote
Which ones army?

Reed boggs bike stood out to me.

Reed Bogg

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.050505
Mobile Version of Website