Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 15:31 Quote
My reluctance to buy an eBike stems from all the ones we see coming back with broken belts, malfunctioning wiring harnesses, broken display units, etc.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 15:56 Quote
My reluctance with electric mopeds is because f*ck them.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 16:16 Quote
husstler wrote:
I think my thing with ebikes now that's a barrier to entry is the depreciation.

Right now the rate of improvement and the increase of viable options are both decent. What that means is a lot of decent bikes on the aftermarket that have next to no miles on them. I saw a couple for sale by me... one dude selling 2 of them. He bought them. They went on 1 ride. Sold them. Funny thing is... I saw the dude going up the trail that day. Ha!

It's a lot like computers for awhile... you buy one and you're in the hole because a new one came out 2 months later. So at some point you just have to get what you like and be happy with it for awhile.

My coworkers bought base model aluminum Levo's when they first came out. They are still riding the shit out of them with ZERO complaints. SO right now with the options out there.... don't let depreciation hold you back.

I honestly don't really care if I get another full suspension bike for right now. I ride the ebike or the hardtail every ride. If I'm riding with people not on ebikes I keep it between trail and eco. Eco is just enough to make up for the weight so I'm breathing as hard as anyone else. Last ride I had 65% of my battery left when we wrapped up because I barely used it.

My favorite bikes right now have to be the kenevo, decoy, bullit and the isight or whatever that Norco is. Orbea's looks sick too and the mustache is dope.

Long of the short... f*cking get one.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 16:17 Quote
Axxe wrote:
My reluctance with electric mopeds is because f*ck them.

I'm not a fan of electric mopeds either. Too quiet. Get hit stepping off the sidewalk. Emtbs though... big fan.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 16:19 Quote
seraph wrote:
My reluctance to buy an eBike stems from all the ones we see coming back with broken belts, malfunctioning wiring harnesses, broken display units, etc.

Yeah... lots of shit to break. If you don't hack them the software of the current bikes is pretty solid. Belts are because people put mad miles on or they're being lazy AF and overusing the motor... if that's the case.... let em pay. I did however break a display unit. But shit happens. Crash and shit breaks.

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 17:10 Quote
husstler wrote:
I think my thing with ebikes now that's a barrier to entry is the depreciation.

funny you mention that because I bought mine 2 years ago used for $3500 and I just sold it a month ago for $4000

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 17:12 Quote
Get your hustle on son!!!!

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 18:00 Quote
Way back when I had monies......

Wanted supermoto. I test rode a Aprilla 1200 supermoto. 5 min in .......burn out. 10 min wheelies for many many many meters.

Bad. Bad. Bad idea.

Bought Harley instead. But not norm Harley. Bought Nightrod. Then mods. Lots mods. Lota mods

Bad. Bad idea.

Was 150 foot burnout machine. I figured out how to back it in like Nicky Hayden. A 8 foot long 260 tired beast

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 18:06 Quote
Always wanted a motorcycle. Will never buy one for that reason. Bad Joe! Bad!!

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 18:16 Quote
I like e bikes for getting more people riding... but I have yet to see anyone outside of pinkbike that fits the "using it to turn 20 miles into 50 miles" idea. Literally every rider I've seen on one is fatter than me, and I'm a far f*ck, and a worse bike handler than me, and I'm terrible. But f*ck it, we all start somewhere and if it's putting wheels on the trails and money in the market I'm cool with it. My ego can handle fat guys ebiking past me uphills and I'm not racing anyone downhills these days.

All that said... I have no idea what kind of market the bullet is intended for. The riders good enough to really use it don't really need it and the riders who need it and are likely to buy it are going to use it to get in over their heads really quickly. I feel like 120mm-160mm sort of welterweight to middleweight range is where they're best suited.

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 18:19 Quote
I've not tried one, but if someone would send me one for review, I would certainly have an opinion! lol

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 18:21 Quote
If I could afford a 160 29er e bike at a price range I could stomach, I’d be in. One the bigger hurdles around these parts is trail access, e bikes are severely limited. It will end up evolving and when it does, I’ll be happy to join in.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 18:23 Quote
Thinking if I could ride the same jumps and trails and it helps me climb it would be for me.

Having said that.

I love my DJ bike.
I love my big bike too. Still like to pedal just not as much as I did 25 years ago.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 18:24 Quote
bkchef2000 wrote:
If I could afford a 160 29er e bike at a price range I could stomach, I’d be in. One the bigger hurdles around these parts is trail access, e bikes are severely limited. It will end up evolving and when it does, I’ll be happy to join in.

They would be good for the unmentionable areas... so good.

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 18:26 Quote
whoadragon wrote:
Way back when I had monies......

Wanted supermoto. I test rode a Aprilla 1200 supermoto. 5 min in .......burn out. 10 min wheelies for many many many meters.

Bad. Bad. Bad idea.

Bought Harley instead. But not norm Harley. Bought Nightrod. Then mods. Lots mods. Lota mods

Bad. Bad idea.

Was 150 foot burnout machine. I figured out how to back it in like Nicky Hayden. A 8 foot long 260 tired beast

Years ago I met Nicky Hayden at Adams Motorsports Park. He was there on a pretty much stock CR450 Supermoto and I had just gotten my Husky. It was when he just switched from the factory Repsol Honda to Ducati Moto GP team. He was so fast and smooth on the CR it was unreal. I asked him what kind of slipper clutch he had, because I was getting a lot of rear wheel hop on corner entry’s while downshifting and braking and I wanted a slipper clutch to loose the wheel hop and back it in like the pro’s. He said he didn’t have a slipper clutch, he just feathered the stock clutch! He was a super cool dude and so talented. Anyway, I tried to feather the clutch like he said and I just couldn’t get down good enough and so I ended up buying an Adige slipper clutch and started backing it in proper and the wheel hop was gone. Also, 1 finger clutch after that too. Such a tragedy he died so young and getting killed while training on his road bike. I still have his number on my helmet.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.066474
Mobile Version of Website