Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 3:00 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
I’m not the least bit interested in moto and all the added f*ckery that comes with owning one. So people who say might as well go moto haven’t stopped to think It through.

Ultimately I will always do exactly what I want and people who disagree... as mentioned earlier... fu*k’em.
Every bit of this.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 5:16 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Rode two laps today. November 21st. On dirt. It was great. If I have an E-bike it would have been 4.

I’m not 28 anymore, I’m 48. If E means I can quietly continue to go to the same places I go now and further well into the future I’ll jump in eventually.

I’m not the least bit interested in moto and all the added f*ckery that comes with owning one. So people who say might as well go moto haven’t stopped to think It through.

Ultimately I will always do exactly what I want and people who disagree... as mentioned earlier... fu*k’em.

This. I'm not there yet, but when analogue is too hard, I'll make the jump. Hopefully by then they're a little less silly money.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 6:41 Quote
husstler wrote:
Do you have a full size pilot's license?

And if not, do you figure you could fly a real plane? The controls must be pretty similar. I mean just a little one ...

Re read that. Jesus, that's a dumb question. I'm going to leave it regardless.

I do not have a full size pilot's license. I did pass the written exam many, many (30+) years ago and I logged a few hours of instruction time in a Cessna 150 and C172, but couldn't afford to complete it at that time.

As far as the controls being similar to full scale? Yes, controls are similar (same but different? :lolSmile and control the same surfaces, but when I was learning to fly RC, I found it more difficult than flying the full size, due to lack of tactile (butt dyno effect) feel and awareness.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 7:19 Quote
Those planes are cool as hell PAC. How does that work? Are those kits you build or do you buy them complete? The float plane would be badass.

I don’t get the hate about ebikes. I really don’t care what other people ride. A friend of mine sold his bike and now has two ebikes, a 160mm travel enduro and the new VLT fat bike. I’ve got none. We’re still buddies.

I’ll get one soon enough. I like to build and also like to ride to where I’m building. It’s tough to ride in them build for a couple hours then ride out. So at times riding gets sacrificed for building, which sucks. An ebike would help a lot. Ideally I would get in a 10-15k ride plus build for an hour or two. Win win.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 7:38 Quote
urinalmint wrote:
Those planes are cool as hell PAC. How does that work? Are those kits you build or do you buy them complete? The float plane would be badass.

I don’t get the hate about ebikes. I really don’t care what other people ride. A friend of mine sold his bike and now has two ebikes, a 160mm travel enduro and the new VLT fat bike. I’ve got none. We’re still buddies.

I’ll get one soon enough. I like to build and also like to ride to where I’m building. It’s tough to ride in them build for a couple hours then ride out. So at times riding gets sacrificed for building, which sucks. An ebike would help a lot. Ideally I would get in a 10-15k ride plus build for an hour or two. Win win.

Aye, not sure where it comes from. Douches ride all sorts of bikes. Maybe getting passed by some old dude in turbo mode on a climb gets them all salty.

I did see an XC goat absolutely skin some lads on ebikes a while back. That was funny.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 8:04 Quote
RelapsedMandalorian wrote:
Aye, not sure where it comes from. Douches ride all sorts of bikes. Maybe getting passed by some old dude in turbo mode on a climb gets them all salty.

I did see an XC goat absolutely skin some lads on ebikes a while back. That was funny.
Mando riding would suck if I got pissed every time someone passed me. Life is too short and I’m too fat.

Btw, what’s the deal with that Slayer fender you posted on IG? Need more info. That thing is cool af.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 8:09 Quote
urinalmint wrote:

Thanks Mint! While I have built, and enjoy building them, most of them now come in "pre-built" or ARF (almost ready to fly) form, meaning that the fuselage and wings come pre-built and covered, but one still needs to pick and purchase everything else needed (engine, servos, batteries, receiver, linkages, etc.) and then install it all so it all works together. There is still a fair amount of work to get one of these large "ARF's" assembled and ready for the abuse we put them through!

One could liken it to doing their own custom MTB build, i.e, buying a frame and choosing one's preferred components, assuring they will all play well together with no weak links, and assembling them.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 8:14 Quote
I'm ok getting passed uphill, downhill, driving, wherever. Just be sort of decent about it. And if someone creeps up on me and my kid and scares the shit out of him with an offside pass, I'm throwing something*. I mean, we're not racing on green trails, right?

Since having kids the number of times I've said "hey, f*ck you!" and tossed a water bottle or whatever else is at hand has increased exponentially.

*True story, but it wasn't an ebike.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 8:29 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
Here's one of mine. That's a 250cc 5 cylinder radial! Big Grin I'm working on 120" wingspan P-47 Thunderbolt using another of those radials that has pneumatic retracts and a sliding canopy.

Views: 16    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

me too! vrooooooooommmmm!!!!!

Happy Halloween. My costume

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 8:53 Quote
Is that your classroom?!? Its awesome!

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 8:56 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:

Every bit of this.

I have to disagree, whee I live motos are no more of a hassle than a mtb. I will admit I am lucky as hell to have enough land to be able to fire up a moto or atv and ride in my backyard. To get to trails is no more of a drive or hassle other than getting fuel. My $.02 worth, may only be worth half of that LOL

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 8:59 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
Here's one of mine. That's a 250cc 5 cylinder radial! Big Grin I'm working on 120" wingspan P-47 Thunderbolt using another of those radials that has pneumatic retracts and a sliding canopy.

Views: 16    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Wow, that’s badass! It sounds like an old top fuel dragster too! I couldn’t do one of those though, 1 crash and I’d destroy it. RC cars I can do though. I have 1/10 scale 4wd Trucks and a 1/8 gas truck. I haven’t used them in years though.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 9:20 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
urinalmint wrote:

Thanks Mint! While I have built, and enjoy building them, most of them now come in "pre-built" or ARF (almost ready to fly) form, meaning that the fuselage and wings come pre-built and covered, but one still needs to pick and purchase everything else needed (engine, servos, batteries, receiver, linkages, etc.) and then install it all so it all works together. There is still a fair amount of work to get one of these large "ARF's" assembled and ready for the abuse we put them through!

One could liken it to doing their own custom MTB build, i.e, buying a frame and choosing one's preferred components, assuring they will all play well together with no weak links, and assembling them.
Cool. That sounds awesome. I’ll be watching vids on YT the rest of the day.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 9:35 Quote
urinalmint wrote:
Cool. That sounds awesome. I’ll be watching vids on YT the rest of the day.

Here's a good one to start with. This is a much more competent pilot than me, flying one of my planes a few years ago in Wenatchee. Plane has a 106" wingspan and a 120cc two-stroke twin engine. enjoy!

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 9:39 Quote
Axxe wrote:
shredb4dead wrote:
Rode two laps today. November 21st. On dirt. It was great. If I have an E-bike it would have been 4.

I’m not 28 anymore, I’m 48. If E means I can quietly continue to go to the same places I go now and further well into the future I’ll jump in eventually.

Riding in loops. Meh.
You're the King of no fun, you should try it sometime.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025937
Mobile Version of Website