Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 4:40 Quote
@swan....holy shit bro....sorry to hear of the damage to the family's homesteads and definitely glad everyone is ok....

@jamez....pulling for pops man....

yeah 2020 defo started off with a bang, huh ? Eek

about the time I start getting down in the head due over personal troubles, I try to remember that someone, somewhere has it worse than me and I have to force myself to get my mind right.

good vibes to all from here in Ohio...

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 6:51 Quote
Every day, there's another big thing that's happened in here ... the shit winds are blowing. Take care guys.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 7:37 Quote
Swan, feel for you dude, what are the f*cking chances? ..ffs. Bounce back harder. Thank goodness no one was injured or worse

James, best wishes to your Dad & family

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 8:18 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
New tires, dropper and lever. New Wolf Tooth light action lever is amazeballs.
New Honcho s and new 5 dropper installed. Much excite.
New Honcho s and new 5 dropper installed. Much excite.

Needs purple tassels on the seat puto!

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 8:20 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
whattheheel wrote:
New tires, dropper and lever. New Wolf Tooth light action lever is amazeballs.

Don't forget frame protection....sidewalk rash is real, bro!

lol lol lol

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 8:34 Quote
obee1 wrote:
whoadragon wrote:
My son just picked up this as a EDC. Pretty impressed so far.

https://www.crkt.com/homefront.html

cool idea about the quick field stripping. nice knife. looking forward to a 6 month review.
dragon i spoiled myself over xmas with a benchmade bailout tanto blade. its half the thickness of any other folding knife i own, and half the weight as well. which initially sold me on the choice, but now its so f*cking light that i cannot tell when its in a pocket. which sounds silly but drives me nuts if i cant do a quick kit check while on the move. if that makes sense. otherwise its a helluva knife.

https://www.benchmade.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=bailout+tanto+

Both of those are nice. I’d like the light weight benchmade tanto. There are a lot of cougar sightings at some of the places I ride in OC, like Whiting Ranch and I carry a folding knife on my rides, but a nice lightweight one would be sweet.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 9:00 Quote
I am spoiled, sog warehouse is right down the street from me and they always have cosmetic blems for 40$...

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 9:01 Quote
Starting to look now for some new brakes, ideally to purchase between now and beginning of season. Want max power and lightest lever feel to keep my clearly ancient and decrepit hands alive at the bottom of a long descent. Already went to a coil fork.

Obvious next steps should include:
Big rotor (230?!)
Metal pads
4 piston

Less obvious:
I'd like to go non-Shimano or SRAM. Between wandering bite point and SRAM warble I'm finished with those two for a bit. Currently running 4 piston XT and they're OK. Would demote the current XT brakes to my fat bike, where they will be great.

Was thinking Magura MT-5/7, or probably Hayes Dominion. Does anyone here have any experience on both of those that might be able to offer a suggestion?

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 9:02 Quote
Man!! There is always some drama up in this piece!! Swan and James, glad everyone is ok and not injured! That was a big ass tree and I bet some scary time for you James. Be safe out there!

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 9:03 Quote
husstler wrote:
Starting to look now for some new brakes, ideally to purchase between now and beginning of season. Want max power and lightest lever feel to keep my clearly ancient and decrepit hands alive at the bottom of a long descent. Already went to a coil fork.

Big rotor (230?!)
Metal pads
4 piston

Less obvious:
I'd like to go non-Shimano or SRAM. Between wandering bite point and SRAM warble I'm finished with those two for a bit. Currently running 4 piston XT and they're OK. Would demote the current XT brakes to my fat bike, where they will be great.

Was thinking Magura MT-5/7, or probably Hayes Dominion. Does anyone here have any experience on both of those that might be able to offer a suggestion?

Hayes Dominions and listen to nothing else!! Best brakes I have felt in a long time!!

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 9:04 Quote
husstler wrote:

Big rotor (230?!)
Metal pads
4 piston

Less obvious:

If you are hamfisted at all like myself...stay away from Magura’s unless you plan on using Shimano levers. The plastic magura levers are a joke. Look at them crosseyed and they strip threads.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 9:10 Quote
husstler wrote:

Big rotor (230?!)
Metal pads
4 piston

Less obvious:

Buddy here has been loving his Maguras, but the issue he is having is they have so much power he is going through fork bushings. His rides are not your average though, he is one of those hike a bike to ride 3000' of screen kinda guys. Every day.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 9:29 Quote
I would say Dominion or TRP maybe Formula Cura 4

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 9:49 Quote
husstler wrote:

Big rotor (230?!)
Metal pads
4 piston

Less obvious:

I made the jump from Shimano to TRP’s because of the wandering bite point problem with Shimano’s. Only got two rides in before the white bullshit came and ruined the ride but so far so good. Power seems good and modulation is waaaaaay better. Nice thing is I can still run Shimano non-fin pads and rotors which are readily available. More testing in about... one months time-ish?

Apparently there’s a newer ergonomic lever available now as well. I have no issue with this one but some people might like that.

Silver TRP goodness.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 at 9:49 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
I would say Dominion or TRP maybe Formula Cura 4

Loved my trp. Hopefully picking up dhr pretty soon for the e tank

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024732
Mobile Version of Website