Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 20:12 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
husstler wrote:

Bill, I have the mid layer that Specialized/686 made to go with that. It's pretty awesome. I'm sure the shell is too. I cant imagine riding when it's cold enough to need the bibs, mid, and shell but Specialized is designed in California so their temp ratings are nuts. Buncha softies in the cold.

I think my gloves are rated for 15C but I find them pretty comfy down to -3 for example.
Out riding the other day and it was 72 degrees, 22-23'ish in maple syrup units, and passed some dude wearing bibs, leg warmers, shell, and full coverage cap under his helmet. Unless he started at 4am or is going through chemo, he was way overdressed for even the colder mornings we get in these parts.
f*ck that's wife beater and shorts weather

I'm with ajax. Might not even need sleeves at those temps.

Hahah. Only options are:
Started 4 am
Chemo
Got a Jenson closeout on winter gear and has to try it

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 20:29 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
husstler wrote:

Bill, I have the mid layer that Specialized/686 made to go with that. It's pretty awesome. I'm sure the shell is too. I cant imagine riding when it's cold enough to need the bibs, mid, and shell but Specialized is designed in California so their temp ratings are nuts. Buncha softies in the cold.

I think my gloves are rated for 15C but I find them pretty comfy down to -3 for example.
Out riding the other day and it was 72 degrees, 22-23'ish in maple syrup units, and passed some dude wearing bibs, leg warmers, shell, and full coverage cap under his helmet. Unless he started at 4am or is going through chemo, he was way overdressed for even the colder mornings we get in these parts.
I am a bit of a candy ass in the cold, but not that big of one!
I like keeping my knees warm otherwise they complain. It has to be pretty warm outside before I ride without knee warmers.
I have some of the Lenz heated socks and wear them in the fatbike boots when it is below -10 C. Without them my feet get pretty chilly.
There was a ton of fatbikers at Norquay on Sunday. Maybe their kids were in lessons or something but parking is insane up there right now. If they were just there to ride, the parking dudes should have sent them to the far lot or the tube park lot. It is almost like everyone drove two cars up there or something.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 22:21 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
Best part is I can poop whenever I have to and not stink up the office bathroom. LOL!

Home bowl advantage! haha

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 at 22:27 Quote
husstler wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

I'm with ajax. Might not even need sleeves at those temps.

Hahah. Only options are:
Started 4 am
Chemo
Got a Jenson closeout on winter gear and has to try it

22-23 C is almost summer weather here in Vancouver. I'm not sure if we even got above 30 last summer. Shorts and t-shirt weather for me for sure. Right now I'm wearing pants and a light sweater when I ride. It's a little cool at first, but once I get to pedallin', I warm up pretty quick. Actually got pretty sweaty yesterday on my usual Sunday ride, and it was about 8 C. Unseasonably warm, and there was this really bright sphere in the sky (the sun?) which I haven't seen since the summer time.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 7:34 Quote
-12 C here today and I'm heading out hardwater fishing! 6 hrs is the plan today.

I love all weather but the fall and winter are my fav.

I do love the nasty heat and humidity we get in the summer.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 7:57 Quote
I personally don't need alot of heavy clothes when riding in the cold, I generate alot of heat so breathable clothing is key. I'll ride down to -15c, any colder and it's no go.

Big fan of Merino wool anything, have been using socks and base layers for a couple years.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 8:06 Quote
Same here. If I can keep my hands, feet and head warm I am good to go.

I have given up on waterproof hard shells for riding recently and switched to a softshell stormtech type jacket and the increased breathability has been great and keeps me warm even when it's a little damp.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 8:27 Quote
did a ride a week ago one Saturday morning with my homies. 22F...and sunny.....in shorts, and a hoodie.

gotta keep hands and feet warm. a good layer of skin lotion on my legs always keeps those warm. Shoes are vented so ankle socks and about an 8" wide sheet of Saran wrap wrapped over my toes works dynamite.

for winter road riding.....my old 7-11 jacket is da bomb. Wink

7-Eleven team jacket from the 80 s from Jeff Bradley front
7-11 team jacket from the 80's from Jeff Bradley (front)

7-Eleven team jacket from the 80 s from Jeff Bradley back
7-11 team jacket from the 80's from Jeff Bradley (back)

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
Another attempt at an iconic individual... I should probably stick with less easily picked apart unknown individuals .... but that would be the easy way out... I’ll keep trying regardless... in my uncomfortable zone....

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 8:30 Quote
that rocks Ster !!! tup

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 8:32 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Same here. If I can keep my hands, feet and head warm I am good to go.

I have given up on waterproof hard shells for riding recently and switched to a softshell stormtech type jacket and the increased breathability has been great and keeps me warm even when it's a little damp.

Same here... hands and feet. I have a couple pairs of neoprene gloves that take about 30-40 minutes to warm up but the feet... ooooo brrrrr baby! Merino wool for the win!!! I picked up a chrome wool top like 10 years ago, still mint, does not stink and keeps warm and dryish unless its completely pouring....

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 8:51 Quote
Was going to jest about 2Pac, but I see from the photo comments that I've been beaten to it Razz
You know I love your pics man - can see your painting from my main desk, illuminated by its very own banana lamp (yep, really) lol

Any of you ever wake up with an idea in your head, and you know it's a really f*cking stupid idea, but your brain just kinda hands it to you pretty much complete, so you feel compelled to follow through with it?
I woke up the other day with a song in my head, I guess I must have been reading the bickering in one of the "post your bike" threads one evening before going to sleep, and I've kinda accidentally created what's turned into a sort of (very) tongue-in-cheek theme tune for BBLB Eek

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 9:05 Quote
probably happens like daily for me banana....just ask my wife... Facepalm

so throw us a couple verses man....don't leave bruthas just hangin'

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 9:18 Quote
Ha! Yes BB assailed upon the likeness lol the embellished eyes & lashes doomed that comparison.... whaddyah gunna doo

Oh and most of my ideas are stoopid... go with it. Write it down, make a video or a recording. Go back to it... if it makes you smile... chances are it will have the same affect on someone else...

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 9:22 Quote
adm750 wrote:
so throw us a couple verses man....don't leave bruthas just hangin'

The track is finished (ish). Just waiting for the accompanying video to finish rendering now. Had way too much time on my hands over the last few days lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024280
Mobile Version of Website