Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 18:59 Quote
Apparently my brother in law is getting it so we get to go watch... is it the knockout leprechaun?

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 19:14 Quote
I shall watch streams tomorrow or dl it Sunday.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 19:51 Quote
If I owned a shop I’d sell sick f*cking bikes... and $70 tees Pimp

Obviously poking the bear a bit, but honestly people wanted what those guys couldn’t deliver... cheap ass steel bikes and some kitsch merchandise...

surprised that nobody has picked up that ball and ran with it

Sure there’s about a thousand guys selling steel frames but they all want $$$$$ for them like they’re bedazzled in diamonds or something.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 19:59 Quote
yeah i'm struggling to spend the $62 main card for two legit fights and what looks like a regional haybale hootenanny. the pre lims have brad tavares and khalil roundtree, who are very entertaining fighters, but the other six fighters in the main card are unknown or.... kinda undeserving.
i like poirier in the late rounds but connor has impeccable timing and ring control. having said that, poirier beat gaethje in a burner that cemented my respect for his chin and his counter punching. so yeah, connor in rd one or two, but poirier can f*ck with him in the later rounds.
chandler v hooker is real good imho as well. if you don't know chandler- hes from bellator- watch his fights against benson henderson on youtube. they fought twice. the first one is the best example that comes to mind for me in regards to how an orthodox fighter can beat a southpaw. just watch how ofter they step on each others lead foot. its awesome. chandler is cutting the ring off of henderson so that henderson has to move left- into chandlers power alley. chandler repeatedly throws a hard right body kick followed immediately with a hard straight right as he is pulling back the kick. its gas tank emptying and its f*cking up the southy's advantage. seriously watch the first round and then try to not watch the rest of the fight. and benson is so f*cking good. what a champion.

and i dont need to say anything about how awesome dan hooker is as a fighter. as a talker, not so much. but dude can bang. if he beats chandler i will be shocked.

f*ck now i reallt wanna watch those two fights.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 22:26 Quote
Here are my thoughts on bikes mechanics contracting out of their homes and bike shops utilizing their services: I think it's feasible but certain conditions must be met. The "guy" needs to be a seasoned guy like swan or myself who's running a mobile repair business or a home shop with a business license and the appropriate insurance. They should be utilized along with a atleast one competent wrench at the shop who can deal with any adjustment or misalignment issues that occur during transport, and most importantly the customer needs to be aware that there possibility of there shit being repaired offsite is a possibility.

Locally there are a handful of long time bike nerds who contract out to the larger shops, all of them hold a business license and insurance, the three that I know have home shops that are better equipped then any high end bike shop I've worked at, currently when they contact out they go to the brick and mortar shops and work along side the on staff mechanics but with covid I could see bikes being dropped off at their homes becoming a reality...

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 22:37 Quote
It does seem pretty messed up that someone would take their bike into an actual shop, and then it would get sent to some guy's house to get worked on. Aside from all the questions about liability and if something should happen during transport. It says a lot about the kind of people who would open a bike shop I guess. No real interest in bikes, just trying to find a way to capitalize on other people's interests. I guess that's not uncommon these days though.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 22:40 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Here are my thoughts on bikes mechanics contracting out of their homes and bike shops utilizing their services: I think it's feasible but certain conditions must be met. The "guy" needs to be a seasoned guy like swan or myself who's running a mobile repair business or a home shop with a business license and the appropriate insurance. They should be utilized along with a atleast one competent wrench at the shop who can deal with any adjustment or misalignment issues that occur during transport, and most importantly the customer needs to be aware that there possibility of there shit being repaired offsite is a possibility.

Locally there are a handful of long time bike nerds who contract out to the larger shops, all of them hold a business license and insurance, the three that I know have home shops that are better equipped then any high end bike shop I've worked at, currently when they contact out they go to the brick and mortar shops and work along side the on staff mechanics but with covid I could see bikes being dropped off at their homes becoming a reality...
ajax you make some good points. The wait for repairs was crazy last summer and I doubt it will be any better this year. Let’s face it, riders new to the sport are not fixing their own bikes and I’d bet they also require repairs more often. I’d say in some areas this could be a pretty good business. Unfortunately, the shop that’s planning to farm out bike repairs here has none of those conditions in place that I’m aware of. It seems that servicing customers bikes is simply an inconvenience to them.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 22:55 Quote
urinalmint wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:

ajax you make some good points. The wait for repairs was crazy last summer and I doubt it will be any better this year. Let’s face it, riders new to the sport are not fixing their own bikes and I’d bet they also require repairs more often. I’d say in some areas this could be a pretty good business. Unfortunately, the shop that’s planning to farm out bike repairs here has none of those conditions in place that I’m aware of. It seems that servicing customers bikes is simply an inconvenience to them.

Your situation sounds like a shitshow.. I don't agree with it..

I was just bringing up a point where I could see a mobile wrench like myself farming out some labor on jobs that wouldn't really make sense for me to do in a van.. But you bundle 6-8 of those sub $800 bike tune ups together and have a retired mechanic knock those out and you deal with the pick up/drop off and payment logistics?

That's a customer that I wouldn't have wanted to deal with on my own and probably wouldn't have made economic sense to service.. But bulk them together and outsource the labor turns it into a decent income source that I wouldn't have serviced prior..

Like I said.. All the high end stuff would stay with me.. But the 500-800 entry level bikes? That's bread and butter and easy tune ups for a retired old mechanic that wants a part time side gig.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 23:31 Quote
I used to work for Raleigh bikes many years ago. So have some training on bike repair and assembly.......
Like BBLB said about shops and bullshit. I dont support places like that, infact the last time a shop here told me some bullshit like that, I told the owner, let me come around there, and I will show you and teach you mechs how to do it. He was shocked, and begged me not to make a scene!

I wanted to open a bike shop some years back, there is so much red tape, its not funny. Biggest requirement is to have a fully functioning workshop and a retail store before any of the distributors will consider supplying you. Then there is a minimum order requirement that must be fulfilled as well. No choosing of goods, just a bundle.

My idea was to work from home, have an online store, and service bikes out my garage. Pretty much have given up on that. But maybe there is still hope. I badly want to get into making some nice cnc parts tho.

Posted: Jan 22, 2021 at 23:33 Quote
Hey 26 - get some probiotics and eat lost of dry fruit, especially prunes, apricots and peaches. You will find that peas and korn kernels should also help with you dilemma. Dried fruit is better tho.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 1:50 Quote
Working from home can be very productive... and entertaining.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 9:41 Quote
Riyadh wrote:
Hey 26 - get some probiotics and eat lost of dry fruit, especially prunes, apricots and peaches. You will find that peas and korn kernels should also help with you dilemma. Dried fruit is better tho.

Thanks man, I’ll have the wife pick me up some dried fruit. It can’t hurt. Speaking of hurt, day 2 is the worst. My ribs are involuntary clenching whenever I move or breath too deep. This sucks balls. Looking forward to the fights though. Watching all of the imbedded episodes and pre-fight shows now.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 11:21 Quote
26, metamucil can't hurt either. It wo have yrks for me, take it daily now. When I say that out loud I feel like a damn old geezer

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 12:12 Quote
ATV25 wrote:
26, metamucil can't hurt either. It wo have yrks for me, take it daily now. When I say that out loud I feel like a damn old geezer

lol We are old geezers man! That’s the next thing going down. Prune juice mixed with psyllium husk, (same thing as Metamucil). My youngest daughter keeps telling me I’m too old to be doing the things I’m doing, but these are the things that are keeping me young and somewhat fit. Plus it’s fun as f*ck! I’m like Ricky Bobby, I like to go fast! And I’m not even close to being too old! I’m still a young 55. Mentally I feel pretty young, except I have CRS disease, (can’t remember shit). Especially when the wife gives me something to do. Oops, I forgot sorry Hussy.

Posted: Jan 23, 2021 at 12:37 Quote
C R S . . . Freaking hilarious !!! I am right there with you ! Our office manager hates me , I call throughout the day and leave messages for myself !!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022685
Mobile Version of Website