Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 21:22 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Damn... 11 years, making me feel old lol

Want to feel old.... I was a moderator here 20 years ago...

Bet you're glad you don't have that job anymore! lol

It was getting so bad. It got pretty much pointless when we had to start reporting to admin before any edits or discipline would happen. When I was doing it mods could edit posts, give infraction points etc. even put people in time out. Just no bans.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 22:03 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
PACNW-MTB wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:

Want to feel old.... I was a moderator here 20 years ago...

It was getting so bad. It got pretty much pointless when we had to start reporting to admin before any edits or discipline would happen. When I was doing it mods could edit posts, give infraction points etc. even put people in time out. Just no bans.
The moderation system on this site is a joke... I've had people drop paragraphs of invective vitriol and then caught a ban for replying that they were a dumbf*ck. Not sure how it used to be but it's basically just a popularity contest of who gets reported now.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 22:10 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:
PACNW-MTB wrote:

The moderation system on this site is a joke... I've had people drop paragraphs of invective vitriol and then caught a ban for replying that they were a dumbf*ck. Not sure how it used to be but it's basically just a popularity contest of who gets reported now.

Wait, this place has moderators!? Could have fooled me!

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 22:16 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:
PACNW-MTB wrote:

Back in the day I used to just edit those types of posts and make the people look stupid. And I'd sign. OMA in super light gray at the bottom. LOL. Figured that was better than catching a ban. When they switched over to the new sight format it got pretty lame. That's when ITO, Draco and all of us kind of fell off.

O+
Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 22:47 Quote
I always was pretty natural on a bike.. I got serious about riding at 16 and jumped on a Cyclocross bike at 17.. Was top 10 in the nation for 2 years, and probably would have been podium my last year had I not blown out a front wheel... Still was like 8th that year.. Then decided to start racing mountain bikes and was on my way to being national level DH and super D racer... Then jumped on a road bike and was mixing it up with local Cat 2 serious roadies.

All with no real training or plans. Just playing around.

That same time I had a good buddy that wanted to be a successful DH racer and he trained, and practiced and hit the gym and got coaching lessons and he tried so hard to make himself into a good mountin bike racer, and he was never able to be anything more than mid pack cat 2 racer. I know it bugged him that I could come off the couch and compete in the pro class and he worked his ass off and never could get better.

He always told me I was the biggest waste of cycling talent because I wasn't willing to make anything of myself. lol

He finally called me the Tomac that will never be.. Lol.. I took it as a compliment, but he ment it as an insult.

Bikes are fun.. I could have made a job and lifestyle out of it, but I don't think it would have been fun anymore if I did that.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 23:54 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Ha! I got my first moto at age 6 spent a ton of time as a kid riding... my homie that was good at everything got one when we were a bit older like early 20’s... i had far more skill than him... he left me in the dust from day one on...
Yeah, I tried explaining how I grew up with a dude who was just naturally unstoppable on two wheels and put in basically no effort... he raced bmx for a year on a whim when we were kids and wound up ranked #1, one of four people to have 20k points that year, wrecked kids who'd been racing since the could sit on a bike. He thought it was boring, gave it up, and literally didn't touch a bike for a decade, hoped on a mountain bike and went riding with a bunch of us who never gave up bikes and had been mountain biking for a couple years at this point, and made us all look stupid.

Dude literally never crashed... like he would know he wasn't gonna make it and just step away from the bike and land running a few steps or looking like he was sliding into home plate instead of actually eating shit, it was uncanny. Like nothing the bike did ever caught him by surprise, he knew exactly where the edge was and could go full gas right up to it and then just see it was going south and casually step off where normal people would be clueless and just suddenly find themselves crashing.

Anything with two wheels, dude just had a gift for. So much so that it basically bored him out of doing anything with it. I have zero doubt that if he'd put in any level of effort he could've become a pro at basically any two wheeled discipline he wanted to. I could practice ten hours a day for thirty years and never be half as good as he is on any kind of bike.

People like that make me mad. My little brother was a lot like that. Is a lot like that. Pretty much everything he touched he ripped at and much quicker than anyone else. Unfortunately he has no drive and never really did. He was national champ in jr midgets and had a big racing future. Just stopped. Raced Moto just stopped. Ripped at snowboarding. Just stopped. Ripped at skating. Just stopped. Punk band almost blew up. Stopped. Honkey Tonk was blowing up. Barely plays outside of his house anymore. Any drive at all and he would have flourished in one of many areas.

Meanwhile my other brother is clumsy AF. Talking kid tried to throw me a football when he was like 12 or 13 and it went backwards. But he puts his mind to something and he works his ass off. Just picked up MTB riding seriously about a year ago... he's way better than I am. Because he wants to be. If you could mix those 2 together. Damn.

To me that's the difference...

Pros... yeah maybe you can go pro based on pure work and/or pure ability. But the greats are a truly unique combination of both. And the more time goes by the harder it is to succeed on just one or the other. You just don't see too many Shaun Palmers anymore.

I used to be like that, used to get match fit in a week, same for athletics. Still have some skills. Stopped playing 1st division soccer a few back, and was still scoring goals regularly. So soccer, cricket, volleyball, hockey, baseball, athletics and karate. Athletics was high jump and 400m which I was very good at. The same goes for cricket and soccer and volleyball to a point.

As with all the sports I played, I always had a roadblock and couldnt go on to represent provincially even tho I was selected. So chances came and gone.....
Non the less, was great times. I was heavy into freestyle bmx riding at that stage of my life and enjoyed it tons. The nearest bmx track was 10km away, but we were not allowed there. LOL

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 4:07 Quote
July 11 2007 is when I started here on PB. Been talking to a few of the same dudes in this thread for that long. From before this tread was this thread there was a nother one that got moved categories or something like that. Been a long time.

They just offered me a new helper that is 18 years old. He was picking his nose while they introduced me to him ........nope.

Old helper is still there and hes my age and awesome but they want him for other stuff and I wont let him go.

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 4:22 Quote
whoadragon wrote:
July 11 2007 is when I started here on PB. Been talking to a few of the same dudes in this thread for that long. From before this tread was this thread there was a nother one that got moved categories or something like that. Been a long time.

They just offered me a new helper that is 18 years old. He was picking his nose while they introduced me to him ........nope.

Old helper is still there and hes my age and awesome but they want him for other stuff and I wont let him go.

i am having similar issue with staffing. I keep getting people who cant do basic math, use a calculator or cant communicate with people. Shame, this younger generation, i dont know.

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 5:55 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Ha! I got my first moto at age 6 spent a ton of time as a kid riding... my homie that was good at everything got one when we were a bit older like early 20’s... i had far more skill than him... he left me in the dust from day one on...
Yeah, I tried explaining how I grew up with a dude who was just naturally unstoppable on two wheels and put in basically no effort... he raced bmx for a year on a whim when we were kids and wound up ranked #1, one of four people to have 20k points that year, wrecked kids who'd been racing since the could sit on a bike. He thought it was boring, gave it up, and literally didn't touch a bike for a decade, hoped on a mountain bike and went riding with a bunch of us who never gave up bikes and had been mountain biking for a couple years at this point, and made us all look stupid.

Dude literally never crashed... like he would know he wasn't gonna make it and just step away from the bike and land running a few steps or looking like he was sliding into home plate instead of actually eating shit, it was uncanny. Like nothing the bike did ever caught him by surprise, he knew exactly where the edge was and could go full gas right up to it and then just see it was going south and casually step off where normal people would be clueless and just suddenly find themselves crashing.

Anything with two wheels, dude just had a gift for. So much so that it basically bored him out of doing anything with it. I have zero doubt that if he'd put in any level of effort he could've become a pro at basically any two wheeled discipline he wanted to. I could practice ten hours a day for thirty years and never be half as good as he is on any kind of bike.

People like that make me mad. My little brother was a lot like that. Is a lot like that. Pretty much everything he touched he ripped at and much quicker than anyone else. Unfortunately he has no drive and never really did. He was national champ in jr midgets and had a big racing future. Just stopped. Raced Moto just stopped. Ripped at snowboarding. Just stopped. Ripped at skating. Just stopped. Punk band almost blew up. Stopped. Honkey Tonk was blowing up. Barely plays outside of his house anymore. Any drive at all and he would have flourished in one of many areas.

Meanwhile my other brother is clumsy AF. Talking kid tried to throw me a football when he was like 12 or 13 and it went backwards. But he puts his mind to something and he works his ass off. Just picked up MTB riding seriously about a year ago... he's way better than I am. Because he wants to be. If you could mix those 2 together. Damn.

To me that's the difference...

Pros... yeah maybe you can go pro based on pure work and/or pure ability. But the greats are a truly unique combination of both. And the more time goes by the harder it is to succeed on just one or the other. You just don't see too many Shaun Palmers anymore.

dude, those two did get mixed together man.....that person's PB username is "onemanarmy" tup Beer Salute

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 5:58 Quote
[Quote="shredb4dead"][Quote="badbadleroybrown"]
sterlingmagnum wrote:

And then there's the other side of the coin. Razz

Views: 850    Faves: 2    Comments: 13

I almost spit my coffee out shred...

soooooo..... would this fall under "nature" or "nurture" ?

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 6:12 Quote
Riyadh wrote:
whoadragon wrote:

i am having similar issue with staffing. I keep getting people who cant do basic math, use a calculator or cant communicate with people. Shame, this younger generation, i dont know.

it was the same in the car business Riyadh....all the younger guys coming in knew how to use the high zoot test equipment but none of them actually know how to diagnose and fix shit...they didn't even understand the data the machines were giving them....!!
They had absolutely ZERO "common sense" when it came to problem solving. Frustrating as hell....

engine won't run....? air, fuel, spark....one or more of them is missing simpleton. it ain't that hard motherf**ker.

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 6:13 Quote
3 post douchebag, I know....

make it 4 Facepalm

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 8:04 Quote
[Quote="adm750"][Quote="shredb4dead"]
badbadleroybrown wrote:

I almost spit my coffee out shred...

soooooo..... would this fall under "nature" or "nurture" ?

lol It just never gets old! Thanks heel! Salute

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 8:46 Quote
Finally got the doner 12 valve out of the dodge.. Pulling head off the motor today and getting it machined and going to pull the injection pump off to have it reworked.

This was actually one of the more pain in the ass motors to pull out. The oil pan sump sits below the front axle and the rear valve cover only clears the firewall by 2-3".

Fought with it for a few hours and finally got smart and just unbolted the cab mounts and put the cab mounts on the lift and jacked the cab up as much as all the wiring and connections would allow and that let the motor out and over the crossmemeber.

Apparently the "official" procedure is to pull the oil pan and pickup with the motor in the truck before you pull the motor.. But that sounds really shitty and I didn't want to do that.

photo

Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 11:00 Quote
sounds like a PITA Swan...but a cool project nonetheless.... tup

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.065423
Mobile Version of Website