Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 10:34 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
husstler wrote:
mysticmountainadventures wrote:
We were pretty committed DHR2 DHF buyers and even herself who doesn’t engage the side knobs super hard would have all the knobs hinged before the centre tread showed signs of wear.

I just looked at my G5 tires that have been on since early July 2020 and all the side knobs are still perfectly attached.

I’m sure that means there’s less grip, and that would matter if I was trying to win world cups, but I’m not... so a tire that isn’t wrecked in a matter of weeks friggin rad!

Edit: She’s been running the SE5 tires since May 2020 and their side knobs are also looking perfect today.

Jake, I think it's the same grip. I mean, a fresh Maxxgrip is great and all, but the knobs get so round so fast, and so undercut so fast there's less grip later.

I bought a Dissector for the back to try it and like the tire so far - but EVERYBODY else seems to be complaining how fast they wear out (even in Maxxterra).

I had a dissector wear out in a couple of weeks, though it was almost daily bike park usage. Still, less than half the time it would take to wear our a dhr.

I am really liking the Bontrager tires so far that came on my Rail, tons of traction. Ran at 18psi the other day and burped the rear pretty good, 20 seems like the ticket.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 10:36 Quote
jamezyo wrote:
I bought a hip pack!!!!
Lol now Jerome you can make fun of my fanny pack!!! Lol

pics or it didn't happen Blank Stare

been busting spokes on Stinky's rear wheel quite frequently. Went to LBS b4 we headed out for Tennessee to pick up a handful of new spokes to bolster my spares already on hand. Old spokes and oddball hub design (low flange Deore antique) keeps breaking spokes at the heads. I'll start to hear that ting-ting noise from the back wheel when riding and I know a break is soon to follow.

will get re-laced when I find a proper cheapo cup/cone hub.

Have acquired tons of spares too, so A-part-calypse should be handily avoided with as much old used shit, and what few new bits, I have on hand. finger's crossed.

on tires.....I'm running Schweatyballs Hans Dampfs 26x2.35's and feel like I struggle with traction. At least I lack confidence in the turns on them. I mess with pressure a bit but land in the 25-28psi range ? Also been working hard on proper body position. may not be the tire. Facepalm

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 10:37 Quote
Cushcore in the back here. I'm still running Assegai up front, Aggressor out back. Both MaxxTerra. They're in really good shape considering how many miles I put on them. I do have spares of both in DD ready to go but PG is easy on tires. Just dirt and roots here.

As for wheels, I recommended WAO. I love mine, second set I've owned. But...I just noticed the prices on their site are now in US dollars. The wheelset I bought last year is $1400 USD instead of CAD. So up about 400 bucks from last year. Bummer.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 10:41 Quote
d-man wrote:
Poachninja wrote:
husstler wrote:

Jake, I think it's the same grip. I mean, a fresh Maxxgrip is great and all, but the knobs get so round so fast, and so undercut so fast there's less grip later.

I bought a Dissector for the back to try it and like the tire so far - but EVERYBODY else seems to be complaining how fast they wear out (even in Maxxterra).

I had a dissector wear out in a couple of weeks, though it was almost daily bike park usage. Still, less than half the time it would take to wear our a dhr.

I am really liking the Bontrager tires so far that came on my Rail, tons of traction. Ran at 18psi the other day and burped the rear pretty good, 20 seems like the ticket.

With so many Maxxis options already hard to find, this may be the season to experiment outside of that brand. I once had magic Mary’s on my front tire and really liked their grip and durability (the side knobs didn’t fray like a Maxxis) but their rolling speed wasn’t great.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 10:46 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
d-man wrote:
Poachninja wrote:

With so many Maxxis options already hard to find, this may be the season to experiment outside of that brand. I once had magic Mary’s on my front tire and really liked their grip and durability (the side knobs didn’t fray like a Maxxis) but their rolling speed wasn’t great.
TBS Bike Parts. Can't believe more people don't use them. They always have Maxxis in stock at good prices.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 10:47 Quote
i've got carbon wheels on both my bikes now and am pretty stoked on both sets (NEXTIE, Bantrager)

who's listened to the sam hill inside line podcast? he should be in this thread for old and grumpy.

hard no on progressive geometry, hard no on carbon wheels... pretty interesting that a top pro can be set in their ways like that... sounded to me like he won't even try based on preconceived notions. i guess proof is in the pudding... the placebo of something new can make one racer faster, and for sam it seems the placebo of old school tried and true works for him

can't believe he threw shade at the calgary wc lol lol lol

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 10:53 Quote
I'm an admitted Hill fanboi, better check that out.

TBS almost always for Maxxis in Canada. Though they don't sell 29 x 2.3 DD DHR, which is my go-to rear favourite for a trailbike.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 10:57 Quote
Here’s my deal with tires. Contact and grip are critical.

My wife’s car is a commuter. It gets fast rolling tires that last a long time... well... used to. Now it has Nobbies... because commuting is 13 miles now.

Daily I drive high performance all seasons on my wrx as it’s a daily. Sorta.

My other wrx gets high performance summer tires in the summer. Snow tires in the winter.

Why? Because I drive the piss out of it on dry and wet pavement. My life depends on reliable grip.

Skimping on tires on your mtb is like f*cking a prostitute with holes in your jacket. It’s stupid.

I put tires that grip. They wear out I buy new ones. I currently have 5 brand new maxxis tires sitting in my garage. I’d give them to anyone here if they were local to keep you from sacrificing grip for longevity.

How much money you gonna save by running a tire that doesn’t grip as well but lasts longer? $100 a year? You skimp on your helmet too?

I blew through a set of tires on my wrx in line 6000 miles once. Talking on wires. It was fun.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 11:05 Quote
husstler wrote:
I'm an admitted Hill fanboi, better check that out.

TBS almost always for Maxxis in Canada. Though they don't sell 29 x 2.3 DD DHR, which is my go-to rear favourite for a trailbike.

They don’t seem to have any DH casing 27.5 Maxxis tires. It’s my DH bike I worry about as I rip through tires on that rig, though I am unlikely to get as many days on it as I did last year.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 11:07 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
I blew through a set of tires on my wrx in line 6000 miles once. Talking on wires. It was fun.

Haha, that's a lotta smoke

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 11:15 Quote
I ran a Michelin front tire for almost all of last season it wore really well and had great grip as long as the temps were not to low. If it dropped below 5C ish it would harden up enough to make wet roots and rocks interesting.

I had a Dissector EXO casing rear that I destroyed with multiple cuts at the the bead from pinch flats. I don't know if it was the bead profile of the new rim or if maxxis slightly changed the construction of their EXO tires once they came out with EXO+ but I was flat free for almost 2 years before last season on EXO tires.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 11:17 Quote
mysticmountainadventures wrote:
i've got carbon wheels on both my bikes now and am pretty stoked on both sets (NEXTIE, Bantrager)

who's listened to the sam hill inside line podcast? he should be in this thread for old and grumpy.

hard no on progressive geometry, hard no on carbon wheels... pretty interesting that a top pro can be set in their ways like that... sounded to me like he won't even try based on preconceived notions. i guess proof is in the pudding... the placebo of something new can make one racer faster, and for sam it seems the placebo of old school tried and true works for him

can't believe he threw shade at the calgary wc lol lol lol

Ball bag story was good!

Plus, threatening to return to DH

Sam the man

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 11:29 Quote
adm750 wrote:
jamezyo wrote:
I bought a hip pack!!!!
Lol now Jerome you can make fun of my fanny pack!!! Lol

pics or it didn't happen Blank Stare

been busting spokes on Stinky's rear wheel quite frequently. Went to LBS b4 we headed out for Tennessee to pick up a handful of new spokes to bolster my spares already on hand. Old spokes and oddball hub design (low flange Deore antique) keeps breaking spokes at the heads. I'll start to hear that ting-ting noise from the back wheel when riding and I know a break is soon to follow.

will get re-laced when I find a proper cheapo cup/cone hub.

Have acquired tons of spares too, so A-part-calypse should be handily avoided with as much old used shit, and what few new bits, I have on hand. finger's crossed.

on tires.....I'm running Schweatyballs Hans Dampfs 26x2.35's and feel like I struggle with traction. At least I lack confidence in the turns on them. I mess with pressure a bit but land in the 25-28psi range ? Also been working hard on proper body position. may not be the tire. Facepalm

it's not that I carry a lot of stuff it's just that I have a really big ass!
Hans Dampf???? worst tire I have ever had. I ripped knobs on those tires in 2 seconds!
went back to Maxxis DHF no comparison

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 11:31 Quote
Ahahaha, no wonder Sam Hill thought the Calgary world cup race sucked, it was at COP

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 11:35 Quote
james you have the skill to make your own truing stand and gauge. i own one but if i was gonna true a wheel today i would make my own stand first.

i'm with army and likely all of you on this as well. i f*cking love the grip on minion DHF's and the DHR's are great as well. i would run DHF on front and rear and a week of good riding in whistler would shred the f*ck outta them.
but that would be a week of awesome riding with no thoughts at all about contact issues while riding. for me, money well spent.
my moto has continental TKC 80's on the front and back and this motorcycle tire looks like a dirtbike tire, behaves like one on dirt but sticks to asphalt like kenny roberts himself was the tire designer. but i have to replace the rear every 4000 km max because of how fast they wear.
anyone who has brought a car or moto to a track day or weekend knows the truth about rubber and wear. feels like it goes faster than gas on a good day.

fanny packs are a mans declaration that hes done chasin fur and now all he wants is comfort and practicality. i bought mine last year at bass pro, and it can be a fanny pack or a satchel. amazeballs imho.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.059228
Mobile Version of Website