Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 23:33 Quote
LOL.... got me thinking... wonder if anything is still on YouTube. Found a video from back in the day a few of my buddies did. Talk about throwback..

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 4:07 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
lol
Speaking of old gixxers... Who remembers this shit.

omg...who the f**k is that...? All I can think about is Vanilla Ice on his Kawi's Facepalm

greywolf999 wrote:
Oh man, I just missed all the sport bike talk! I fell in love with the RC51 and found a mint 2001 RC51 at a Yamaha dealer. THAT was a sick bike! I love that sound of the gear driven cams and the 1000 v-twin engine. It was Honda's Ducati killer!

I don't really know of many things available to the common man that are faster than a 1000cc sport bike.

Agreed. The US has needed smaller displacement sportbikes for yeeeeeeeeeears. Shit plan to have 600's and Liter bikes available to any dingbat with an endorsement.

The RC51 was a true example of a racebike priced at streetbike dollars. Not like the RC30 or RC45 which were racebikes for the street sold at racebike prices. The RC51 was insanely capable and had some of the best parts available without going Ducati (waaay more $$) or full aftermarket. One finger braking on that bitch for sure.

Good friend of mine, and ex-roadracer, down in Fla has one. We were on a high speed run one morning popping around cars as we made our way to beer and eggs somewhere. I had to be waaay ahead of the game if I was going to try to keep up with him as we accelerated out around cars. Like my shit needed to be down a couple gears and sitting at 10,000 rpm where he'd just crack the throttle and shoot off.
We lit em up at one point, were about a buck 30, and he decides we can't make the next pass. He piles on the brakes. I hammered mine. Would have blasted into the back of him if I wasn't just a bit to the outside. We look at each other as I fade past and I can see this shit ass grin on his in his helmet. My eyes must have looked like big white donuts.

We get to the beer stop and he says "..shoot...that was too tight to make that one pass. and sorry (giggling), I tugged the brakes with two fingers...(shitty grin still in place)"

I was like "...f**k man, I was trying to grab mine with both hands !!!"

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 6:24 Quote
I've had a few motorcycles over the years, but I just got rid of my last and final one. I really liked this one, but just hadn't ridden too much the last few years, mostly due to the increased population/traffic. Just haven't got the joy out of it that I used to.

photo

This one is my brothers' bike. If I can talk him out of it someday, I would probably take this beauty and enjoy it a few times a year! Talk about memories!

photo

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 6:30 Quote
That DUC! Love it! You go steal now!!!! Never ridden a Guzzi but would love too. This is all making me want another sport bike lol

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 7:21 Quote
oh yeah.,...good stuff. Rode a Guzzi before, never a Duc yet though Frown

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 7:41 Quote
Crotch Rockets are insane ! Ridden a few, crazy fast out of the box. I am not much for riding on the road, never felt that I trusted other drivers enough. Love dirt bikes & atvs though, never gets old.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 7:50 Quote
f*ck yeah!
i loved how honda said "hold my beer and wartch this" to ducati. i wished that bike could've grown more visible in their fleet. but i had a moto boner for the suzuki TL1000R. it was their rendition at the time. the reviews of the bike were a bit deadly though. ahem.
my last superbike was an R1. you've all seen it though so no need to re post.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 8:01 Quote
obee1 wrote:
photo
as if

That's one well stocked garage for fun.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 8:02 Quote
obee1 wrote:
f*ck yeah!
i loved how honda said "hold my beer and wartch this" to ducati. i wished that bike could've grown more visible in their fleet. but i had a moto boner for the suzuki TL1000R. it was their rendition at the time. the reviews of the bike were a bit deadly though. ahem.
my last superbike was an R1. you've all seen it though so no need to re post.

all hail the R1...yours was baaaaad...!

haha....totally on the "eff off Ducati" move. Nicky Hayden should have had a middle finger sewed on the ass of his leathers.

I definitely wanted a TL1000R...ditch that rotary rear shock abortion thingy and fit something proper, then straighten out the front suspension, and it could have been a pretty right bike. It was a pig in comparo to the RC51 tho.

Balancing the throttle bodies on the RC was a key step to polish it's already stellar engine performance. The avg joe didn't do it.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 8:05 Quote
husstler wrote:
obee1 wrote:
as if

That's one well stocked garage for fun.

man....no shit Eek

wonder if Obee is adopting. I do laundry, clean my own room.....

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 8:20 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
I'm not scared of motorcycles. I'm definitely scared of me on them. I've gotten pretty close to talking my wife into letting me get one a few times but now she's firmly against it. I don't even ride dirt bikes anymore. Hell I don't even ride mini dirt bikes anymore.

I have zero chill.

You'd think I would. Buddy of mine lost his leg at the knee on one less than 10 minutes after I say later at work. Another one was nearly killed doing some stunt riding. Smacked his face into a parked semi. 3 deaths on the street. 1 on dirt. My cousin was nearly killed on the back of a Harley. 2 other buddies got in t-bone accidents. One flew over the car. One flew into the car. My little brother compound fractured his arm screwing around in the front yard. I broke my hand screwing around. Etc. But nope. No chill. Soon as my brain goes... o.k. I remember this... it's full pin.

I am the same put me on 2 wheels and I just want to push it and go faster.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 9:33 Quote
all hail the R1...yours was baaaaad...!

haha....totally on the "eff off Ducati" move. Nicky Hayden should have had a middle finger sewed on the ass of his leathers.

I definitely wanted a TL1000R...ditch that rotary rear shock abortion thingy and fit something proper, then straighten out the front suspension, and it could have been a pretty right bike. It was a pig in comparo to the RC51 tho.

Balancing the throttle bodies on the RC was a key step to polish it's already stellar engine performance. The avg joe didn't do it.[/Quote]

dude i swear i paint everything i own and there wasn't a moment that i thought the R1 needed a paint job. it was such a beautiful bike. i thought it didnt get any prettier as the years went on. this design for me was sublime.
goddamn though if i had your mechanical knowledge i would have loved to dive into the performance side.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 9:50 Quote
you guys are all nuts! Crazy that all y'all survived! that stuff just looks like pure madness Eek

All legends Salute

Sterling! We need pics and tales from AZ!

This was in the comments on a home page article... pretty cool (still maybe too fast for me)

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 9:53 Quote
I want a TW200 Soooo bad. not fast, just go anywhere bike.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.063033
Mobile Version of Website