Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 13:07 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Absolutely digital formats are not even close to analog. Its a quantity over quality phenomenon that bleeds into everything. It started with the microwave oven... give me convenience or give me death.

Very few can appreciate the intended work of the artists. But on the flip side, with downloads and free music platforms dominating the scene bands cant always afford to pay for real studio time with a competent engineer who knows how to use a board..

Nah. Not anymore. Recent generation of DACs and hi-res is the end game. Way beyond anything that is even remotely within human perception. We are not in CD quality anymore.
Of course streaming services are mostly not that, but even 320k Ogg Vorbis from Spotify is hard to blind test out. I tried on good headphones and DAC. Can test 256kbit mp3 easily, 320k Ogg barely. Can A/B it on a good speaker setup. CD quality against Hi res - can’t distinguish on headphones, but can (barely) on large quality speakers.
Objectively, 32bit/96Khz is everything that one ever may want.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 14:18 Quote
someone translate that for me please. I'm not sure if I'm about to get a spleen removed or mix a track....

show of hands - who had an 8-track player in their car...?

raises hand...

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 14:24 Quote
adm750 wrote:
someone translate that for me please. I'm not sure if I'm about to get a spleen removed or mix a track....

raises hand...

Axxe been livin in a trash can, he knows his tweeters and beyond..
think he is saying you don’t notice unless you can compare one against another .. maybe

Nope, no 8 track here, but I am jealous because of it

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 14:29 Quote
My first car had an 8 track with a bee gees cassette stuck in it... at the time it was brutally annoying and it was promptly swapped with a new school cassette player for my metal lol

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 14:30 Quote
Pretty sure I will go deaf in my right ear when I get older, blew my ear up with high revving two strokes and nasty deep bass four strokes

Loud pipes save lives but wreck your drums

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 14:31 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
My first car had an 8 track with a bee gees cassette stuck in it... at the time it was brutally annoying and it was promptly swapped with a new school cassette player for my metal lol

Hahaha haha

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 15:17 Quote
these folks content is alway friggin amazeballs

Views: 5,628    Faves: 60    Comments: 7

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 15:23 Quote
adm750 wrote:

raises hand...
'71 Mustang with an 8 track and two 6x9's in the rear deck, but the best music came from the 4v 351 Cleveland.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 15:54 Quote
adm750 wrote:

raises hand...

The father in law still has an 8 track at the cabin, I just bought him Neal Diamond's greatest hits for father's day LOL LOL LOL

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 16:01 Quote
I was introduced to loud music by my dad when I was young, like 6 probably. He came home from working in NWT and had a new stereo, Marantz amp and Altec Lansing speakers that were bigger than me.
Still remember the feeling of huge bass thumping my chest. Mom came home and ripped him up for having me in the room!

Had a few systems in my vehicles in high school, a few Alpines and Pioneers but the Denon with 12"subs, mids in the doors tweeters on the dash and 500 watt amps in my Bronco 2 was the king of bush parties.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 16:37 Quote
d-man wrote:
I was introduced to loud music by my dad when I was young, like 6 probably. He came home from working in NWT and had a new stereo, Marantz amp and Altec Lansing speakers that were bigger than me.
Still remember the feeling of huge bass thumping my chest. Mom came home and ripped him up for having me in the room!

Had a few systems in my vehicles in high school, a few Alpines and Pioneers but the Denon with 12"subs, mids in the doors tweeters on the dash and 500 watt amps in my Bronco 2 was the king of bush parties.
I used to compete in car audio DB drags .
3-12” mid 140s Db.
I was king of neighbours hating me…
Man, give me my phone and Apple Music and I’m happy as a pig in shit.
Having access to anything I want to listen to at a drop of a hat. Convenience and quantity over quality is the way I’ve gone .

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 17:09 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
I just broke down and paid for pandora. My new office I'm basically at the entrance and the rest of the office fans out from me so I have people walking up to me all day asking me who's hear and where they are. It's distracting as hell. When I worked here before I literally worked in a hallway that everyone walked by. It was horseshit. Was hoping that would change but now I'm in the opening of a different hallway. LOL!

Headphones are a must.

I listen to my Spotify playlists that are downloaded on my phone in my pack when I ride. 1, so I’m not using any cellular data and don’t have to worry about reception and 2, no earbuds so I can hear my surroundings and people talk to me. Bluetooth speaker when I’m in the shower and the home theater for tv, movies and music. And when it’s later, Sennheiser cordless headphones so the wife stops telling me to turn it down.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 17:44 Quote
Axxe wrote:
What amplifier to buy?

Bought a pair of Focal Kanta 2 for family room, with a matching Kanta center for movies, but 80% of time I listen to stereo music.

Could go throwing cash at it with some dentist favorites like McIntosh, but with new tech should be some better choices.

Wanted a good stereo since school. Finally have space and money for it. I guess had it before, but was more prudent

Not sure on the amp but I can comment on the Focal Dome set that I had installed a few years ago.
I did a 7.1 surround system for the basement tv room. Selected a Denon amp and not sure that I chose wisely.
Those little speakers absolutely rock the house (when my wife and kid are out)!

Focal makes some very nice stuff.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 21:51 Quote
Wrote the big 30k check for the tiltrotator setup today. That hurt.. But nice to actually have a bucket on the machine now. Going to play all day around dads place to get my head wrapped around the movements of the tiltrotator and then I am headed off to work over the weekend.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 23:25 Quote
Maybe I should buy a small bulldozer instead of a stereo.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023307
Mobile Version of Website