Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 23:12 Quote
I know pine isn't exactly Grade A lumber, but it's amazing to me that I litterally can't get rid of the stuff.. I have a full log truck worth of it sitting cut at 16'6 and decked and ready to be loaded and I can't even pay a log truck to take it away.

I need the logs off the shop pad so I can shoot my finish grade and I am probably going to end up cutting it in half and paying $500 to dump it. Sad.

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 23:51 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
I know pine isn't exactly Grade A lumber, but it's amazing to me that I litterally can't get rid of the stuff.. I have a full log truck worth of it sitting cut at 16'6 and decked and ready to be loaded and I can't even pay a log truck to take it away.

I need the logs off the shop pad so I can shoot my finish grade and I am probably going to end up cutting it in half and paying $500 to dump it. Sad.

Buy a mill and take out Home Depot!

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 4:05 Quote
swan3609 wrote:

Do you have a co-gen near you ? Any "logs" that are to large for our grinder we haul to a co-gen about 12 miles from us. They pay, but not much, based on weight and water content. They can burn it sooner the drier the wood is.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 5:09 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Shit day today a good buddy of mine died yesterday 55years old healthy guy from a suspected brain aneurysm. Hug your families and get after it while you can.

aw...what a shame man. so sorry to hear. virtual hug mtbman...

ATV25 wrote:
Wow, 55 is young ! Today is the 49th anniversary of my father's death. He was only 50, stroke / heart attack put him down. You just NEVER know. Sorry for your loss mtbman

damned ATV... was working through the math on that one. sound like you lost him at a very young age. which truly sucks...

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 5:25 Quote
ATV25 wrote:
swan3609 wrote:

Do you have a co-gen near you ? Any "logs" that are to large for our grinder we haul to a co-gen about 12 miles from us. They pay, but not much, based on weight and water content. They can burn it sooner the drier the wood is.

The only places around here that will even take them are either a wood recycler named Cannon Hill who grinds the wood up and sends it off to a paper mill or to a regen plant.. Or I can take it to our dump...... Where cannon hill comes in and grinds that up and takes it to the paper mill.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 5:55 Quote
adm750 wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
Shit day today a good buddy of mine died yesterday 55years old healthy guy from a suspected brain aneurysm. Hug your families and get after it while you can.

aw...what a shame man. so sorry to hear. virtual hug mtbman...

ATV25 wrote:
Wow, 55 is young ! Today is the 49th anniversary of my father's death. He was only 50, stroke / heart attack put him down. You just NEVER know. Sorry for your loss mtbman

damned ATV... was working through the math on that one. sound like you lost him at a very young age. which truly sucks...

I was 8. It is strange to think about, but I do feel like it prepared me for the crap that life throws at you, experience is the best teacher type of thing.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 6:23 Quote
No fire wood users around there? I'd take it in a heartbeat. There's supposed to be about 30cord on a log truck load. Would be 5yesrs worth for me.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 8:00 Quote
d-man wrote:
No fire wood users around there? I'd take it in a heartbeat. There's supposed to be about 30cord on a log truck load. Would be 5yesrs worth for me.

Everyone is picky. Noone wants pine.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 8:18 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
d-man wrote:

Its all about marketing... call it PNW Mahogany.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 8:26 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
d-man wrote:

this is bananas. are there no campgrounds nearby? at least?
you and your old man should just build another shelter/shed/open air deck pagoda/ or soemthing on your compound with that wood.
don't cut it into firewood. build something cool. ( i know- time and money. no one has it)

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
swan3609 wrote:

I had to build all my planters out of it because covid. Freakin redwood was either gone or insanely expensive.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
It would seem to me that even the price of firewood will be hitting highs. Folks wont get their “perfect wood choice” WTF is wrong with pine? Too crackly? Too smokey? Its a fire folks! Thats the fun part.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 9:32 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
It would seem to me that even the price of firewood will be hitting highs. Folks wont get their “perfect wood choice” WTF is wrong with pine? Too crackly? Too smokey? Its a fire folks! Thats the fun part.
I like to start with pine get some coals then go to fir or larch for the rest of the day.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 10:28 Quote
Sorry for your loss Tim.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 10:35 Quote
d-man wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I like to start with pine get some coals then go to fir or larch for the rest of the day.

I was doing clean up for a guy years ago, he would cut trees on peoples property and leave larger rounds for cheap. I would go pick up and do as I pleased with it for free. It got me tons of firewood at the time. The only wood I learned to pass on is poplar... good luck splitting that shit lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.092950
Mobile Version of Website