Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 3:13 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
RIP Dusty Hill.
The man could hold down the rhythm like a ton of lead.

Great band ! Lots of great memories listening to them while cruising back in the day. RIP Mr Hill

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 6:30 Quote
ATV25 wrote:
Great band ! Lots of great memories listening to them while cruising back in the day. RIP Mr Hill

Soupherb wrote:
who didn’t have a tape or two?

Cruising? Tapes? Proof that you belong in this thread! lol

And yes, sad to hear about Dusty, another great one gone!

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
leverfingers wrote:
Chris’ snapped a crank arm this weekend and Pat blew his shock and his motor. That’s another ride where the e bikers walked out. The motor burned because the magnet in the rotor went missing? WTF.

That sucks but breaking crank arms isn't e specific, neither is a shock blowing up. Was the motor a Shimano? Buddies Bullit is Shimano...
Magnet is probably for speed sensing and the motor will not run without it.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 13:56 Quote
Heading back home after 3 days in Whistler I forgot how much I hate crowds and traffic. Great riding on black comb and pemberton.

I can see how bikes get trashed quick on those trails. Dark Crystal and hey bud where definitely chunky and see a lot of traffic making it even rougher. If you where familiar with the trails and going at a fast pace things would break.

Only had the legs for one lap in pemberton and rode cop killer only skipped a few moves due to solo lap and really loose conditions wicked trail and had to talk myself through some sections.

Has me stoked to head back for more.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 13:57 Quote
d-man wrote:
leverfingers wrote:
Chris’ snapped a crank arm this weekend and Pat blew his shock and his motor. That’s another ride where the e bikers walked out. The motor burned because the magnet in the rotor went missing? WTF.

That sucks but breaking crank arms isn't e specific, neither is a shock blowing up. Was the motor a Shimano? Buddies Bullit is Shimano...

Isn’t crank selection limited depending on the motor?

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 15:54 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
d-man wrote:
leverfingers wrote:

This is something I've been wondering too... Like can I swap my X01 cranks on a Rise if I get one or am I limited in what I can run? Haven't looked into it much.

O+
Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 15:55 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
d-man wrote:
leverfingers wrote:

Mine are regular e thirteen cranks on Bosch motor. Not sure about Shimano or Specialized.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 at 17:21 Quote
d-man wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
d-man wrote:

Mine are regular e thirteen cranks on Bosch motor. Not sure about Shimano or Specialized.
How does that work? There's got to be a ring gear on the spindle, right?

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 6:52 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
d-man wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

How does that work? There's got to be a ring gear on the spindle, right?

I’m actually shopping for eMTB cranks right now for the bike I have on order, which has the Brose S-Mag motor. There are several companies making ecranks, Praxix, e13, Hope, Rotor are what I’m looking at. Most are isis spline and others are not, but they have motor specific models and different sizes with different Q factor offsets. But it looks like they’re just the arms. Most of the chainrings look like they’re mounted on a 4 bolt 104 spider while others, (hope) are mounted directly to the motor spline drive by what looks like a large bolt over the spline and the chainring fits over that. I don’t see any 4 bolt spiders on any of the cranks for sale so I’m guessing it’s separate? As is the chainring. I’m going to call praxis later today to find out exactly what I need.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 7:06 Quote
Wonder if there will be a weird backlog of non standards associated with early ebikes. Mounting tabs, crank interfaces, wiring connection kinds of stuff.

Shimano and Brose seem to be the big players but SRAM must be cooking something up. They can’t ignore ebikes forever. Some 28.99 kind of deal.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 8:27 Quote
Whats the difference between an e bike crank and analog crank? Besides the spindle length of obvious fittings things.... I wouldn’t think structure would play a part in due to the motor helping things along?

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 8:40 Quote
Typical mountain bike issues of every company having their own idea on how to make a splined interface to attach the cranks. Once thing settle out companies will start to make their model of cranks to fit each motor.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 8:46 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Whats the difference between an e bike crank and analog crank? Besides the spindle length of obvious fittings things.... I wouldn’t think structure would play a part in due to the motor helping things along?
That's what I'm saying... there's gotta be a gear in there somwhere to provide drive force right

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 10:25 Quote
Yes. A lot of it is not e bike specific. Carl's One Up pedals seized up on him. He's ridden them on analogue bikes for years, but they seized on his e-bike ride, he got a rebuild kit and used it and they seized up again on the next ride.

People who are already not keeping on top of maintenance, having a more complicated machine with more to maintain.

Possibly more force applied to some parts due to the E-ness of it all.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 10:55 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
That's what I'm saying... there's gotta be a gear in there somwhere to provide drive force right

When i have been on an ebike it seemed as though far less force was needed to spin the cranks. So unless the weight of the bike comes into play? Get a set of atlas

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.046731
Mobile Version of Website