Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 11:15 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Whats the difference between an e bike crank and analog crank? Besides the spindle length of obvious fittings things.... I wouldn’t think structure would play a part in due to the motor helping things along?
That's what I'm saying... there's gotta be a gear in there somwhere to provide drive force right

When i have been on an ebike it seemed as though far less force was needed to spin the cranks. So unless the weight of the bike comes into play? Get a set of atlas
Weight always comes into play... a pound I can't shave off my bike is a six-pack of tacos I can't eat.

But I expect that e-bike cranks have to have some sort of ring and pinion setup in the bottom bracket shell or otherwise hidden drive chain since there's no obvious external drive mechanism. I don't know how else they could be creating motive force unless the motor is driving a gear of some sort that attaches to the cranks.

I just want to be able to put something at least XT/GX level and not have a ridiculous boat anchor crankset but I for sure want to run 165mm crankarms and nothing comes that short stock so I'm gonna have to contend with changing it out when I do get a bike.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 11:36 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

That's what I'm saying... there's gotta be a gear in there somwhere to provide drive force right

When i have been on an ebike it seemed as though far less force was needed to spin the cranks. So unless the weight of the bike comes into play? Get a set of atlas
Weight always comes into play... a pound I can't shave off my bike is a six-pack of tacos I can't eat.

But I expect that e-bike cranks have to have some sort of ring and pinion setup in the bottom bracket shell or otherwise hidden drive chain since there's no obvious external drive mechanism. I don't know how else they could be creating motive force unless the motor is driving a gear of some sort that attaches to the cranks.

I just want to be able to put something at least XT/GX level and not have a ridiculous boat anchor crankset but I for sure want to run 165mm crankarms and nothing comes that short stock so I'm gonna have to contend with changing it out when I do get a bike.

I'm not sure what type of mechanism is inside the motors but I am guessing it's similar to a free hub, the BB clicks the same as a rear wheel when pedalled backwards.
The chain Ring is similar to a direct mount with a lock nut to attach it to the BB.

Rocky mountain uses a standard BB) crank set on their motor design.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 11:38 Quote
Just mounted a set of Vittoria Mazza Enduro 2.6 rubber on the Rail. I really need more sidewall stiffness than what the stock Bontrager's had.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 13:55 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

From Hopes website here’s what the direct mount interface looks like along with their chainring and the Pole frame drive side interface. Although a lot of them are 4 bolt spiders and no one seems to sell them. I emailed Pole to ask about that and I’m waiting for the response. I also called praxis and they said the spiders should be supplied by the bike manufacturers, not them. I assume the 4 bolt spiders would mount the same way as the direct mount chainring in the pics below. The crank arms all come in different lengths too from 160 on up. Link for Praxis too.

https://praxiscycles.com/e-cranks/

photo
photo
photo

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 13:59 Quote
So it looks like the spindle is a component of the motor itself and your options are limited to swapping crankarms and chainrings then? I guess that makes sense.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 14:05 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
So it looks like the spindle is a component of the motor itself and your options are limited to swapping crankarms and chainrings then? I guess that makes sense.

Exactly.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 14:06 Quote
Evel Kenevo Special Edition... don't even bother with the Levo part of it. Stars and stripes that bitch and let er rip

photo
[/Quote]

the sight of this bike could be a litmus test to see if i could get along with someone. as simple as, show the picture- rate the excitement response, anticipate the persons memories of watching evil, look for genuine joy.
if missing, if this bike doesn't get the blood pumping, if the person is indifferent, i look for other friends.

i looked at exploded views of bosch and brose motors and it seems like the motor is connected to the drive shaft a lot of the times by belt drive. and the crank spindle itself just looked like a regular spline. i thought the motor would have been connected by helical or maybe a bevel gear depending on space and location, but the crank spindle assembly looked....typical?

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 14:08 Quote
looks like we were looking it up at the same time.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 14:23 Quote
obee1 wrote:
Evel Kenevo Special Edition... don't even bother with the Levo part of it. Stars and stripes that bitch and let er rip

photo

the sight of this bike could be a litmus test to see if i could get along with someone. as simple as, show the picture- rate the excitement response, anticipate the persons memories of watching evil, look for genuine joy.
if missing, if this bike doesn't get the blood pumping, if the person is indifferent, i look for other friends.

i looked at exploded views of bosch and brose motors and it seems like the motor is connected to the drive shaft a lot of the times by belt drive. and the crank spindle itself just looked like a regular spline. i thought the motor would have been connected by helical or maybe a bevel gear depending on space and location, but the crank spindle assembly looked....typical?[/Quote]

lol So true! I used to have one of those Evil Kenevil toy motorcycles when I was a kid that I used to make jump everything and I watched all of the televised jumps.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 14:33 Quote
you get an A+. lets go play karate in the garage!

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 14:43 Quote
obee1 wrote:
you get an A+. lets go play karate in the garage!

lol I’m on my way! I’ll bring Evel too! Can I play on your drum set though?

photo

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 16:59 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

I think some are belt driven too. Or maybe were. I was also thinking ring and pinion too, like the road bike cheater ones that used a pinion on the BB axle ...

Would like to see the guts of some ebike motors to really understand what’s going on.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 17:05 Quote
If I get a kenevo I might have to do that.... though I'd probably go more the look of his track suit and maybe do the rear triangle like the back of the bike.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 17:12 Quote
husstler wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

I think some are belt driven too. Or maybe were. I was also thinking ring and pinion too, like the road bike cheater ones that used a pinion on the BB axle ...

Would like to see the guts of some ebike motors to really understand what’s going on.
Yeah, I'm really curious what's going on down there.

Interestingly, I realized the other day that the Rise, which is a "low power" e-bike, has a max torque rating that's 75% of what my 800c motorcycle is... my F800GS is rated at a max of 83Nm torque, the Rise is rated at 60Nm.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 17:52 Quote
It was hard to watch Conner Fields lay on the track knocked out, such a bummer ! Both BMX finals were awesome.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.065778
Mobile Version of Website