Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 18:03 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
husstler wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
So it looks like the spindle is a component of the motor itself and your options are limited to swapping crankarms and chainrings then? I guess that makes sense.

I think some are belt driven too. Or maybe were. I was also thinking ring and pinion too, like the road bike cheater ones that used a pinion on the BB axle ...

Would like to see the guts of some ebike motors to really understand what’s going on.
Yeah, I'm really curious what's going on down there.

Interestingly, I realized the other day that the Rise, which is a "low power" e-bike, has a max torque rating that's 75% of what my 800c motorcycle is... my F800GS is rated at a max of 83Nm torque, the Rise is rated at 60Nm.

That Rise must be measured at the wheel?!? Seems like a lotta Nm

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 18:25 Quote
The Olympics has left me with some questions that I think this group may be able to help with. First, why is Canada so under-represented in competitive MTB, despite being a mecca for the sport? This isn't just XC but DH and EWS as well. Canada seems to only hold its own in slopestyle, based on my cursory look.

My second question is, would someone on a bigger bike, say a DJ or maybe a hybrid DJ with gears not be faster around a BMX track? If so, does this not make BMX seem like a kids feeder sport into bigger bikes, like T-Ball is to baseball?

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 18:33 Quote
Poachninja wrote:
The Olympics has left me with some questions that I think this group may be able to help with. First, why is Canada so under-represented in competitive MTB, despite being a mecca for the sport? This isn't just XC but DH and EWS as well. Canada seems to only hold its own in slopestyle, based on my cursory look.

My second question is, would someone on a bigger bike, say a DJ or maybe a hybrid DJ with gears not be faster around a BMX track? If so, does this not make BMX seem like a kids feeder sport into bigger bikes, like T-Ball is to baseball?

BMX wheel size is 20"-22" wheels, cruiser BMX is 24"+ . I know the last time I was at the local BMX track to shoot the breeze with old friends the 16+ expert class was visually much faster than the cruiser expert class, many of the same riders in both classes.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 18:58 Quote
Not sure whether it’s the Outside Mag influence or just where pop culture has taken us... but headlines about olympic drama, law suits, infighting etc isn’t why I ride a bike.

I’m weird af but being a competitive athlete isn’t something I’d wish on anyone.

Haven’t watched a single Olympic event in probably the last 25 years.

Think Leroy was saying space exploration was a worthy human pursuit and I’d agree. Spending time and money on the olympics I’d put at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 19:07 Quote
I love watching the Olympics, actually any form of self expression or sport when they are the best at what they do. I don't like the drama, I think media over hypes that shit !

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 19:37 Quote
Poachninja wrote:

We are the Mecca for free ride and fun times not organized racing. If you want to try and qualify for uci points you almost have to travel to Europe.

There are a number of up and coming xc and dh racers that may challenge for top spots in the future.

Jessie melamed is doing fairly well in enduro.

Racing in Canada and the US is particularly more expensive due to the travel so that’s another large roadblock.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 20:03 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
If I get a kenevo I might have to do that.... though I'd probably go more the look of his track suit and maybe do the rear triangle like the back of the bike.

i know a guy who would paint your helmet to match your bike. real talk if i get a spesh we gonna be twinsies.

i looked at a bunch of exploded views of ebike motors. the belts make sense. let the belt fail before the gears.

mtbman is spittin facts. riding mountain bikes in canada is too beautiful an experience to be caught up in the competitiveness of it. enjoy the ride. its like tryna be all super serious about surfing in hawaii. like, dude, take a breath and look around. why on earth would you want to make the sublime experience of playing on the waves a competitive experience where you want to beat another person while a few a*sholes on the shore judge who did it prettier?

having said that,
i love sports and the olympics can be super entertaining. but those athletes need to be paid by the IOC. those f*cking criminals are making billions of dollars in revenue and it should go to the reason people are watching. no surprise a guy named dick pound ran the show to make all those advertising deals.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 20:08 Quote
Poachninja wrote:

We have kinda shit levels of financial support for cycling athletes too, at least compared to the countries that are winning.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 20:43 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
obee1 wrote:
you get an A+. lets go play karate in the garage!

lol I’m on my way! I’ll bring Evel too! Can I play on your drum set though?

photo

I had one of those.

And Star Wars.

And a Battlestar Galactica mothership the shot the fighters with elastic bands.

Plus a sweet Crossbows & Catapult game set.

Being a kid was pretty simple back then.
No WiFi required.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 20:50 Quote
battle star galactica ship? goddam, this sounds a lot like the kid who got the green machine while everyone else had a big wheel or their sisters shitty tricycle.
i wanna be shred in my next life.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 21:54 Quote
I was super happy with Hot Wheels and that orange plastic strip they refered to as a track, along with Lincoln Logs and an Erector Set !

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 22:15 Quote
I usually got the leftovers from my 2 older brothers so usually pretty beat up by the time it hit my hands but it also taught me how to take things apart and fix them so that I could have something to play with.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 22:36 Quote
I remember a large grey millennium falcon that was pretty rad.

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 22:51 Quote
Current Pump track world champ was on a 26" DJ against 20s.

I think 95% of those BMX kids that race in the 20" and cruiser classes are so comfortable and used to their 20" that the cruiser just doesn't react as fast for them.

I am the exact opposite. I was at least 20% faster on my DJ than my 20". I have the Yeti DJ down to 20.8lbs and I pretty much rolled over everyone in the cruiser classes, but doing some intermission grunge racing with the expert kids on their 20s and it gets way more competitive.. But those kids also ride their 20" about 20x more often then their cruisers.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 23:52 Quote
obee1 wrote:
battle star galactica ship? goddam, this sounds a lot like the kid who got the green machine while everyone else had a big wheel or their sisters shitty tricycle.
i wanna be shred in my next life.

Nope, no Green Machine for me but a neighbour kid had one. I got to do a few laps around his basement with it but that’s all.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.045460
Mobile Version of Website