Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 0:08 Quote
This was the Battlestar toy. Viper launch station.
Pretty sure it got taken away when I started shooting my brother with it. Lol

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 0:18 Quote
Spent a lot of time playing this with my dad and brother. Apparently we used to like to fire shit around/at each other. Lol

Don’t watch the whole video but you’ll get the idea.

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 6:58 Quote
I lived in a whole other neighbourhood. We had a stick and a can and tennis and golf balls from the bushes by the tennis courts. We played stick ball and kick the can and stuff. With the other kids who lived in married student housing. My parents could afford to buy me a big wheel by the time I was finishing high school.

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 7:03 Quote
ATV25 wrote:
It was hard to watch Conner Fields lay on the track knocked out, such a bummer ! Both BMX finals were awesome.

That was a brutal crash! Also sucked for Alice Willoughby. Both were killing it in their previous heats.

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 7:18 Quote
leverfingers wrote:
I lived in a whole other neighbourhood. We had a stick and a can and tennis and golf balls from the bushes by the tennis courts. We played stick ball and kick the can and stuff. With the other kids who lived in married student housing. My parents could afford to buy me a big wheel by the time I was finishing high school.

My early days I lived out in the sticks north west of Chicago. I don’t recall much of television or toys, though we had them. We played outside. My yard was a massive oak forest. We made wooden teepee forts, hiked around the woods finding arrow heads and artifacts from natives. In the summer we would
Play in our creek or pretend our driveway was an aircraft carrier and our bikes were f-14 tomcats, we’d blast highway to the danger zone and help each other launch off the runway. In the winter we played outside. The creek made it so we could skate for miles. My dad figured it we’d get about 7-8 Miles of distance one way, which we did take full advantage of. And we made huge snow forts that we could camp overnight in. We were outside from morning to night. My mom would whistle for me when it was time to come home. I miss playing like that.

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 7:22 Quote
shredb4dead wrote:
obee1 wrote:
battle star galactica ship? goddam, this sounds a lot like the kid who got the green machine while everyone else had a big wheel or their sisters shitty tricycle.
i wanna be shred in my next life.

Nope, no Green Machine for me but a neighbour kid had one. I got to do a few laps around his basement with it but that’s all.

I didn’t either, but I rode the shit out of my big wheel! I think I was too old for the Star wars stuff when it came out. And ATV, I had a bunch of hot wheels and track and I still do now, but it’s my grandsons. I also remember having a banked oval sizzlers track and electric cars that you would charge with the gas pump then release them on the track. They were badass!

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 7:33 Quote
Ya, never had a Star Wars toy, or big wheel or Atari, beta or vcr or anything like that

When I got older I used the money I made mowing lawns to buy that hornet radio control car

We had some hockey sticks, a couple baseball gloves to play goal tender... a football, skis, some fishing rods to go down the the river with, and we always had bikes. Oh and LEGO’s Pimp

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 7:47 Quote
Damn, I forgot the Legos !!! The outdoors were the best though, stick and ball, BMX, skateboards. I bought my first BMX bike at 13, walked to the bank, withdrew some coin and then to the LBS and put my money down ! Shop owner wouldn't just sell it to me, he had to call my mom. 7 mile walk and a 7 mile ride home. GREAT memeries.

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 8:02 Quote
I tried to take my money out of the bank once... only to find out that my parents needed to sign Cry

Was like 1986 or so... There was a used Honda Odyssey at the local Suzuki dealer that I’d go look at through the fence all the time. Got mad at my folks for something silly one day and threw a temper tantrum, went to the bank with the idea I was gonna buy that odyssey and run away from home....

Turns out when you’re 10 years old and in tears the bank says your parents need to sign for the withdrawal lol lol lol

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 8:34 Quote
^THAT'S FUNNY !^

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 9:27 Quote
Schwinn Stinray owner here. Had a Schwinn Typhoon before the Stingray, which I turned into a Stingray as best I could. Grew up on Hot Wheels, Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, Legos, Spirograph, building Revell models, SST's, a Daisy BB gun that I had to earn by passing 1st grade (still have it), and my dad's 1935ish Marx Train set with New Yorker 999 locomotive and miles of track. Built and flew Estes Rockets, and gas powered U-control model airplanes, including the big Carl Goldberg combat/stunt planes (flew one into power lines and got electrocuted with 7,600v through the right side of my body while in college). Road bikes from spring time thaw to the fall, then XC skied to and from school, ice-skated at recess, and road snowmobiles all winter. My dad was an outstanding snowmobile racer on Polaris machines in the '60s and '70's, and still a boss into the 80's an 90's.

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 10:21 Quote
Twenty6ers4life wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
So it looks like the spindle is a component of the motor itself and your options are limited to swapping crankarms and chainrings then? I guess that makes sense.

Exactly.

Gotcha. Thanks for that tup

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 12:54 Quote
It’s funny. I remember having some pretty cool toys when I was a kid but not All the cool toys. My dad was a sanitation truck driver and mom a legal secretary for the Alberta government so there wasn’t a lot of extra money around. We would get a select few good ones. I would have to go over to other friends to play Donkey Kong on Sega or Intelevision.
I also remember my dad playing with the cool toys as much as us boys when we first got them. I think it was the thrill of having the toys he never had as a kid growing up on a farm.

Thinking back we couldn’t afford family trips to Hawaii or Europe or wherever families like to go now. Every vacation was a trip to Chilliwack to visit family or a camping trip somewhere within Alberta and B.C. Maybe that’s why I don’t have a stomach for camping anymore. Lol

Anyway, we were a very typical middle class family back then. I was just fine drawing chalk city roads on the concrete basement floor for my Hot Wheels, playing road hockey in the crescent, or sneaking across 50th Street to go jump bikes off loading docks. Good times.

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 20:32 Quote
We travelled a ton as kids. Spain for a few weeks at a time, or going to see the fam in England, or driving trips in France. My dad used to have to travel a lot for work to Europe and Africa, so I think it just seemed natural to do it on vacations too. My mom was born and lived internationally too so she was in support of a lot of travel. It seemed weird, compared to my peers to travel like that.

Might be more normal nowadays.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.039874
Mobile Version of Website