Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 16:46 Quote
mysticmountainadventures wrote:
it looks so genuine i'm wondering if they actually did a patina with sodium hydroxide/chloride
Do aluminum and magnesium patina like that though? I thought they both just got pitted and white?

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 17:05 Quote
hey Army... you see this?

damn...cock-blocked by internet security settings on work computer. must look elsewhere....

humpf.... Confused

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 17:10 Quote
adm750 wrote:
damn...cock-blocked by internet security settings on work computer. must look elsewhere....

humpf.... Confused
What kind of a*sholes block vitalmtb? lol

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 17:25 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
it looks so genuine i'm wondering if they actually did a patina with sodium hydroxide/chloride
Do aluminum and magnesium patina like that though? I thought they both just got pitted and white?

yup. i did a lot of foundry in art school and we would do a hot patina on aluminum with a huge range of colour potential. i made a few sculptures with a similar colour arrangement. the discolouring on the lower welds suggests to me that it was painted hot.

but the progress in airbrush colour use and technique has me betting that if you found the right artist, this could be done on just about any paintable surface. like, those low rider painters in cali are my go to for tips and techniques.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 17:31 Quote
Freaking gorgeous however it was done, I'd be curious to see what technique they used

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 19:53 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Freaking gorgeous however it was done, I'd be curious to see what technique they used

naturally just glancing at two photos ain't ness gonna make me confident about the technique, but we were doing shit like this on aluminum 25 years ago so it might be a similar solution to aging that frame. i think the two tone idea is good but i might have chosen a different colour, or patinated the whole thing to appear aged.
dunno, been outta the bronze game for a while. miss it but all the lifers i knew ravaged their bodies/lungs for the art. in hindsight it feels like the only healthy art technique is the one where you write up the grant proposal and then get some shlub to make the shit for you. as in, the majority of the contemporary art world.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 20:21 Quote
Looks killer. So cool.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 20:53 Quote
I've got a really nice old aluminum dh bike that is hard anodized... wondering if I could do the easy off oven cleaner bath to get the ano off... then see if I love it raw or if doing the patina would be next level awesome

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 20:55 Quote
I've got a really nice old aluminum dh bike that is hard anodized... wondering if I could do the easy off oven cleaner bath to get the ano off... then see if I love it raw or if doing the patina would be next level awesome

You could but you need to soak the ano for like 15 - 20 min. So like in a bath of it.

Might need to get your hands on a kiddie pool and an industrial bag of caustic soda Eek

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 20:55 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:

You could but you need to soak the ano for like 15 - 20 min. Usually a few times to get all the crevices So like in a bath of it.

Might need to get your hands on a kiddie pool and an industrial bag of caustic soda Eek

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 22:39 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

You could but you need to soak the ano for like 15 - 20 min. Usually a few times to get all the crevices So like in a bath of it.

#wheredmommygo?

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 3:54 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
adm750 wrote:

humpf.... Confused
What kind of a*sholes block vitalmtb? lol

lol I know, right ??? I mean shit, we've got this culture of "wellness". Doesn't riding a bike (or drooling/posting on forums) fall under "wellness"..???

f**kers Mad

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 8:02 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:

You could but you need to soak the ano for like 15 - 20 min. So like in a bath of it.

im just spitballing here, i've never worked with the process but i've dropped shit off to anodizing shops.
pause for yuck.
so i gotta ask, the process of anodizing includes prepping the surface, and thru electrical current the pigment attaches itself to the microscopic pores or pits in the surface. or something like that. would the structural integrity of the material be compromised by treating it with caustics like that?
lever fingers mos def knows better than i do.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 8:07 Quote
Depends on the material. Aluminum anodizing is a layer of oxodization and it makes a hard shell that doesn't weaken or strengthen the part but makes it more wear resistant because the out layer is harder.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
obee1 wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

im just spitballing here, i've never worked with the process but i've dropped shit off to anodizing shops.
pause for yuck.
so i gotta ask, the process of anodizing includes prepping the surface, and thru electrical current the pigment attaches itself to the microscopic pores or pits in the surface. or something like that. would the structural integrity of the material be compromised by treating it with caustics like that?
lever fingers mos def knows better than i do.
Lever would definitely know better but I asked this question to Steber once back in the day and his answer was that it does but to an irrelevant extent. Ano makes something 0.00001% tougher and removing it makes it 0.00001% weaker so in terms of absolutes, yes it's weaker but in the real world it's not weaker in a way that matters at all.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.023156
Mobile Version of Website