Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 11:35 Quote
obee1 wrote:
can you believe that for the longest time the saturday before the isle of mann tt race happened, the course was open to civilians wanting to run it? my dad said that they called race day crutch day or some shit because of the number of wankers who crashed the day before. bananas.

kyle dunnigans one of americas best kept secrets.

True Obee, true!! Talentless ‘born again’ middle aged numptees running amok on twice the horsepower they have ever had between their legs.. always gonna be a bad mix when a group gathering as epic occurs

Will check that vid from my end as no bueno , euro bullshit

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 11:39 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Yep...too many near misses to count. Equal parts fearless and idiot makes for some interesting life moments.... perhaps in my case the scales tip more towards the idiot side.... Eek

You had a Ducati monster 4S if I recall correctly ?

That, or one of the variants , fore or aft!

Man.. I wanted that bike so soooo bad, truly one of the finest looking rides of our era

Your no idiot, just wild brother wild!!

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 11:42 Quote
I used to flat track my wife Harley 1200 sportster in this one corner over by my old work. It's a double wide corner that a billion tractor trailers use every day so it's super smooth and polished like a cement floor almost.

Foot down and 1 st gear on thr rev limiter.....then usually a one footed wheelie as traction increasesd out side the corner. Trick was getting the foot back onto peg to up shift to second while on one wheel......

I shoulda died about 100 times. Was awsome.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 11:42 Quote
Road racers are another level of crazy skill. Always blows my mind watching them.

Watching a logger run a faller buncher the other day was unreal. Apparently it was a 60 degree slope in a half million dollar machine. 20 year old kid....

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
Hence no bike in garage no more.....

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 11:44 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Yep...too many near misses to count. Equal parts fearless and idiot makes for some interesting life moments.... perhaps in my case the scales tip more towards the idiot side.... Eek

Man.. I wanted that bike so soooo bad, truly one of the finest looking rides of our era

I had the 2... wanted the lighter weight version and just played with the gearing to make it a torque machine... so fun but me and my friends would kinda push each other to do ....agehm... irresponsible things ... one of the best feelings was flipping down the bitch pegs at 100 and laying down superman style to push it into the 140’s... it was the closest thing to flying I’ve ever experienced...

Agreed on looks. I would grab another of that 06’ vintage in a heartbeat if I lived somewhere with less traffic density. And maybe where it rained less....

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 11:44 Quote
obee1 wrote:
can you believe that for the longest time the saturday before the isle of mann tt race happened, the course was open to civilians wanting to run it? my dad said that they called race day crutch day or some shit because of the number of wankers who crashed the day before. bananas.

kyle dunnigans one of americas best kept secrets.
I feel like Suicide Saturday would be the appropriate name for that event.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 11:48 Quote
whoadragon wrote:
I used to flat track my wife Harley 1200 sportster in this one corner over by my old work. It's a double wide corner that a billion tractor trailers use every day so it's super smooth and polished like a cement floor almost.

Foot down and 1 st gear on thr rev limiter.....then usually a one footed wheelie as traction increasesd out side the corner. Trick was getting the foot back onto peg to up shift to second while on one wheel......

I shoulda died about 100 times. Was awsome.

Yes my man, yes!!!

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 11:48 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
I don’t assume much, but I will assume that everyone here could have died more than a handful of times due to two wheels alone, motorised or otherwise

I believe that why I didn’t die was because I didn’t ever ever take chances with anything bike related, maintenance, eyes on the bike before and after every ride. Best rubber I could afford, best oil, best fuel. Prior to every ride, bike had to be immaculately clean, chain perfect no slack, engine warmed up coz tolerances matter, likewise tires, everything at its optimum, I was trippin on bikes and from the amount of posts looks like I still am ha

Leathers, and boots , top lid and the best Italian gloves - I hear kangaroo is a thing now, I was a goatskin guy lol
The amount of times I've almost died is honestly the deepest source of my appreciation for life. f*ck if I'll ever know what made it so I walked out of things that friends didn't and I had to give up on asking those questions a long time ago but life is some flimsy shit and you just gotta live it while you can.

My road bike shoes are kangaroo leather and it's the best leather I've ever had on a garment. Breathable but durable, thin and supple. Good shit.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 11:53 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Soupherb wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

I had the 2... wanted the lighter weight version and just played with the gearing to make it a torque machine... so fun but me and my friends would kinda push each other to do ....agehm... irresponsible things ... one of the best feelings was flipping down the bitch pegs at 100 and laying down super man style to push it into the 140’s... it was the closest thing to flying I’ve ever experienced...

Agreed on looks. I would grab another of that 06’ vintage in a heartbeat if I lived somewhere with less traffic density. And maybe where it rained less....

So glad we share these things as a group , I couldn’t imagine spouting off to just anyone about bikes, they’d think I was mentally disturbed. So good to hear crazy brothers we’re going ballistic across the globe, gets me in the feels , gotta love the life we lead

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 11:58 Quote
With you on the gearing , losing or gaining a tooth on either sprocket could wildly change a bike

One less tooth on the front of my RD350LC equated to 125mph top end (from 118 iirc), but it made fourth gear a real treat to 100mph in the powerband - which is where I sat 90% of the time

Edit

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 12:00 Quote
whoadragon wrote:
Hence no bike in garage no more.....

This

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 12:11 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:

This was me baby...

Yummy yum yums !! Man, we ride to Valhalla one day .. or somewhere with beer lol

Nice ride

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 12:12 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
I had the 2... wanted the lighter weight version and just played with the gearing to make it a torque machine... so fun but me and my friends would kinda push each other to do ....agehm... irresponsible things ... one of the best feelings was flipping down the bitch pegs at 100 and laying down superman style to push it into the 140’s... it was the closest thing to flying I’ve ever experienced...

Dropped down a tooth on the front sprocket and went up a tooth on the rear sprocket on my F800 and it made such a difference getting the front wheel up over shit. The trend of highway gearing really needs to just die already.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.043604
Mobile Version of Website