Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 12:28 Quote
Any of Y’all follow or support Garrett Gerloff?

Liking his work , exchanged a few messages with the guy, shared with him some of my passion for bikes, turns out he’s real friendly dude and open to a good conversation regarding bikes ..hardly a surprise, but his enthusiasm is for f*cking real

That guy has been touching around sixth place for a while now (World Superbike), he NEEDS to run with the front pack to pick up the few remaining secrets and race nuances to hit the podium , currently he is trying so hard that he is laying her down too often and I fear he will break himself , or fear will eventually overrule his skill.

Follow loads of racers, but this guy could make it

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 12:38 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Soupherb wrote:
I don’t assume much, but I will assume that everyone here could have died more than a handful of times due to two wheels alone, motorised or otherwise

I believe that why I didn’t die was because I didn’t ever ever take chances with anything bike related, maintenance, eyes on the bike before and after every ride. Best rubber I could afford, best oil, best fuel. Prior to every ride, bike had to be immaculately clean, chain perfect no slack, engine warmed up coz tolerances matter, likewise tires, everything at its optimum, I was trippin on bikes and from the amount of posts looks like I still am ha

Leathers, and boots , top lid and the best Italian gloves - I hear kangaroo is a thing now, I was a goatskin guy lol
The amount of times I've almost died is honestly the deepest source of my appreciation for life. f*ck if I'll ever know what made it so I walked out of things that friends didn't and I had to give up on asking those questions a long time ago but life is some flimsy shit and you just gotta live it while you can.

My road bike shoes are kangaroo leather and it's the best leather I've ever had on a garment. Breathable but durable, thin and supple. Good shit.

Totally relate to the above Troy ^^^^
Part of my ‘letting go’ made me

I believe there is another animals hide that is currently popular too , may have to google

Pity you didnt ask skippy to hop over that freaking car bonnet ...err hood

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 12:56 Quote
My passion meter now reads ‘FULL’

Complete trip out, thanks Adm .. some good chemicals running around my body now, good nights sleep for moi

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 13:06 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
I believe there is another animals hide that is currently popular too , may have to google
Ostrich is really big right now too, it's another good one but not nearly as supple as kangaroo.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 13:09 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Soupherb wrote:
Ostrich is really big right now too, it's another good one but not nearly as supple as kangaroo.

That’s it!!!

Thank you, that would have bugged me

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 13:18 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
Soupherb wrote:
I don’t assume much, but I will assume that everyone here could have died more than a handful of times due to two wheels alone, motorised or otherwise

I believe that why I didn’t die was because I didn’t ever ever take chances with anything bike related, maintenance, eyes on the bike before and after every ride. Best rubber I could afford, best oil, best fuel. Prior to every ride, bike had to be immaculately clean, chain perfect no slack, engine warmed up coz tolerances matter, likewise tires, everything at its optimum, I was trippin on bikes and from the amount of posts looks like I still am ha

Leathers, and boots , top lid and the best Italian gloves - I hear kangaroo is a thing now, I was a goatskin guy lol
The amount of times I've almost died is honestly the deepest source of my appreciation for life. f*ck if I'll ever know what made it so I walked out of things that friends didn't and I had to give up on asking those questions a long time ago but life is some flimsy shit and you just gotta live it while you can.

My road bike shoes are kangaroo leather and it's the best leather I've ever had on a garment. Breathable but durable, thin and supple. Good shit.

good kit is key to fun...and survival.

Arai Quantum E...and wifey has a matching one. Wink

Gloves were Alpinestars GP Pro in 'Roo hide. super supple and breathed quite well. went through two pairs...they held up in a pretty solid off at about 60+

first boots were Alpinestars SMX. damned nice road boot and all day comfy. Then got a pair of Astars Supertechs.... I love these boots. Still have both pairs.

Dainese two piece leathers. Straight up cow. Mostly only wore the jacket...(handed down to me from a ex-roadracer friend)

Z Custom Leathers Ex Mike Harth EMGO Suzuki 1pc suit. I wore this shit all the time....same thing...gifted to me
Under-leather gear: RS Tai-chi one piece ventilated suit liner and an RS Tai-chi 1 pc wind blocker

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
Obee, I recall you posting a few snaps of a young student hanging off a bike -you taught rugby(?) to him

How’s that going for him?
Junior race series or something similar, can’t recall if local or regional

Interestingly, for me at least, is the correlation between passion and memory - you’ve put it far more eloquently, but you know what I mean

Thought it was apt to mention as it popped into my head due to my own passion

I ain’t passionate about many things to be honest, but my brain will stay at 21,000rpm when mo’bikes are at the fore

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 13:22 Quote
adm750 wrote:
[Arai Quantum E...and wifey has a matching one. Wink
Arai for me as well... Shoei doesn't fit my head. Arai feels like it was molded just for my melon.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 13:26 Quote
criscokid25 wrote:
Any Isle of Mann footage makes me equal parts terrified and impressed. That shit is gnarly.

Yeah those guys are nuts. That section that you're in the air through the intersection right next to the house... Jesus.

You see the video of the dude setting the record in the Subaru that full swaps right here?

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 13:28 Quote
adm750 wrote:
Soupherb wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:

good kit is key to fun...and survival.

Arai Quantum E...and wifey has a matching one. Wink

Gloves were Alpinestars GP Pro in 'Roo hide. super supple and breathed quite well. went through two pairs...they held up in a pretty solid off at about 60+

first boots were Alpinestars SMX. damned nice road boot and all day comfy. Then got a pair of Astars Supertechs.... I love these boots. Still have both pairs.

Dainese two piece leathers. Straight up cow. Mostly only wore the jacket...(handed down to me from a ex-roadracer friend)

Z Custom Leathers Ex Mike Harth EMGO Suzuki 1pc suit. I wore this shit all the time....same thing...gifted to me
Under-leather gear: RS Tai-chi one piece ventilated suit liner and an RS Tai-chi 1 pc wind blocker

Sweet ^^^^^ money well $pent, no f*cking about. Respect
Gaerne boots here (at the time)
Blood groups sewn in I hope tup
^^^
Edit: you may have mentioned this a few weeks ago tbh

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 13:33 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
adm750 wrote:
Arai for me as well... Shoei doesn't fit my head. Arai feels like it was molded just for my melon.

Exactly, I have a fat swede, so Arai , even in its largest incarnation didn’t fit- but, I am going back a ways

That lid I bought saved my life, bent the A-frame on that car and then skidded along the road after tumbling down the road. It was beat to f*ck, cracked but together , three major cracks and scratched more than old men’s balls

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 13:55 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
adm750 wrote:

Exactly, I have a fat swede, so Arai , even in its largest incarnation didn’t fit- but, I am going back a ways

That lid I bought saved my life, bent the A-frame on that car and then skidded along the road after tumbling down the road. It was beat to f*ck, cracked but together , three major cracks and scratched more than old men’s balls

oooof....sounds rough as haell.

Gaerne boots..! f**kin absolutely solid....!! tup

blood type marked on helmet and leathers...but sewn into my old SCCA driver's suit.. Pimp

and Arai all the way BBLB. Shoei gave me f**king headaches from pressure points on my noggin.

wife did get me a killer Joe Rocket ballistic jacket w/zip-out liner right after they first came out. For the money it's a damned fine piece of gear. Perfect in hot or cold weather.
Olympia ballistic pants with cold weather liner and impact protection. perfect for those long days her, myself, and our crew spent bar hopping around Florida black hammock areas and the coast.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 14:20 Quote
now you got ME hyped Soup..! lol

I can remember how good the throttle felt in those purpose-built gloves (with the pinkie finger linked to the adjoining finger by a leather strap so you wouldn't fold your little finger back in the event of a crash...)

I used those thin diamond patterned grips. No bullshit....no fluff....just a super tacky grip to rip....Heavy return spring, but nice progression to it. Roll that thing open and just let the needle swiiiiiiiiing. Carbs just howling. Man I had those 38's dialed.

I was running like a 14/53 sprocket set and a 530 chain. I eventually switched to a 15t in the front and I think I went with a 46t rear.

the 53t on the back was quick AF but you were running like 6500 rpm on the freeway in 6th...(and it would straight up punch the rev limiter in the face in outright anger in every gear...)

the 15/46 was still really quick but it felt better. It put the bike more in a useable range all the time...you'd still hit right at 60mph in 1st, and you could still cruise WOT and it would bounce softly on and off the rev limiter (13500) in 6th with momma on the back... On the dial that would be over 165mph, but those old jap bike speedos were known for being rather inaccurate.

f**ker was fast for an old air cooled 7-fitty

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 14:44 Quote
June, Chonky, Kitty and myself loaded up for work this morning. Ripped out a few driveways and made it back home by 3.

Chonky has airbags and the new flatbed mounted proper. On the hunt for more tool boxes for up top, but overall really happy with it. Need to get the leaky steering box replaced and tidy up a few more things, but it's pretty rad.

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 14:49 Quote
Love it

Making dreams real. Time well spent

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022736
Mobile Version of Website