Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 12:21 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
Too many people relying on black and white sides of issues and no thought is given to any of the grey that exists in life.

It sure is worrying that someone who is a so called teacher can't open their eyes to bias and opposing views to what they believe as I thought that was the main thing you should take away from school is critical thinking.
I find that a growing minority of people actually think... they just find a side that resonates with them, learn the talking points, then repeat until they force agreement or they become outraged at the lack of agreement.

Learning difficulties
Rolleyes Rolleyes

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 12:29 Quote
but shoot...that's the thing. I feel that all of us on this thread CAN see the gray in things. We're at least willing to validate the opinion of others regardless of our thoughts about it. The libs/lefties just go full hot on the temp gauge when the disagreement starts.

Talked to my mother about the vax....for like a micro-second. She's a full left wing lib that thinks I'm the devil for not supporting bullshit like "$15 min wage at MickyD's" and "taxing the rich".... Thinks the worker crisis is due to shitty working conditions and nothing to do with the 'pay-to-stay-home' lotto racket. She's the left wing's wingman...

She asked if I had gotten the jab yet, told her no because since the strokes, I was nervous of those fringe clotting cases, and other concerns over these whipped up drugs. I'm doing everything I can to stay healthy. working out, riding, walking, eating, etc... Said I just didn't want to interject anything else into what I had going on at the time and that I was legitimately afraid of something going wrong if I got jabbed.

Man, you would have thought I f*cked her dog, skinned her cat, pissed in her gas tank, then shit on her porch. She spun up on me like a f*cking turboprop with no gear reduction box. Told me exactly what kind of ill-informed, inconsiderate, selfish person I was.

thanks ma, good talking to you too Confused

Mod
Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 12:42 Quote
Wheels - i encourage everyone who is interested to give it a try on a backup wheel. Its surprisingly easy. When I did it i turned a trainer into a truing stand and it was fairly simple. But cost effective wise - its likely more worth your time to just pay someone to do it.
Same with suspension. Not rocket science when it comes to something like a fox 40, but I would still rather pay someone to do it.

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 12:46 Quote
Olds are good whatever stance they have, my parents bless them , are far removed, mostly Alien to me , dated or antiquated views, ill informed but honest hard working people that didn’t get to fritter money away at any point in their lives.
Morals , manners , ethics and such though, bob on

Very revealing conversations gents, I feel better for this vent

No communication, no love

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 13:06 Quote
Soupherb wrote:
Olds are good whatever stance they have, my parents bless them , are far removed, mostly Alien to me , dated or antiquated views, ill informed but honest hard working people that didn’t get to fritter money away at any point in their lives.
Morals , manners , ethics and such though, bob on

Very revealing conversations gents, I feel better for this vent

No communication, no love

My father had a tough upbringing. Was handed shit, and ground out his way through hard work and integrity. Helped make me the person I am today. I only wish I'd understood his wisdom earlier in life.

My mother, on the other hand, is the life-long victim. Everything that's gone on in her life is the direct result of someone else's shortcomings. Absolute feminist male hater...and has no trouble vocalizing it to myself or anyone else. It's been a challenge to maintain that relationship.

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
I am sure we all have similar stories regarding our parents. I know I am the man I am today because of my parents. That being said, we didn’t always agree, especially when it came to religion and politics, and boy oh boy, did they get “stupid” in their waning years! May they RIP. ❤️

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 13:53 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
I am sure we all have similar stories regarding our parents. I know I am the man I am today because of my parents. That being said, we didn’t always agree, especially when it came to religion and politics, and boy oh boy, did they get “stupid” in their waning years! May they RIP. ❤️

man, I'm sure we all do..! lol.....

RIP mom and pop PAC Salute

my in-laws are getting that way...like there is a f*cking age trigger that removes ANY filter they may have had in their younger days. Facepalm it's funny AF, but drives my wife mad. The kids get a kick out of it though and try to get them wound up. lol but overall, we're mostly on the same page. We agree to disagree in areas and still respect each other and hug it out.

I love my mom. Man, I do love my mother don't get me wrong. I'm her only child, but she left when I was 3. She'll turn on you in an instant, especially me, and she gets brutal with the verbal abuse. Like cut throat below the belt shit..

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 14:21 Quote
Exponential learning curves here tonight/today!
Much respect to all here, valued time

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 19:01 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:
I was not fortunate enough to have those kinds of conversations with my parents since they both died when I was young Dad when I was 8 mom when I was 22. That being said my father was a business owner and my mother worked her ass off I cannot see them feeling much different than the way we do at this time. It's funny I can remember my dad bitching about lazy kids back in the early '70s.

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 21:03 Quote
ATV25 wrote:
PACNW-MTB wrote:
I was not fortunate enough to have those kinds of conversations with my parents since they both died when I was young Dad when I was 8 mom when I was 22. That being said my father was a business owner and my mother worked her ass off I cannot see them feeling much different than the way we do at this time. It's funny I can remember my dad bitching about lazy kids back in the early '70s.

man, that's tough ATV. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I couldn't imagine losing my parents so young in life. I think back and cringe at how different things would have been had my father not made it home from Vietnam....despite being shot down three f*cking times.
He's the hardest working person I know. Nothing was handed to that man yet he made everything come together. We were his wrecking crew too..haha. He worked us hard.

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 3:04 Quote
Thanks for the sentiment adm. It's kind of a blessing in disguise, taught me to deal with a lot of stuff that most people struggle with later in life. Silver linings right, that's what I tell myself LOL

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 3:32 Quote
PACNW-MTB wrote:

Sadly not, my parents were and still are horrific humans. The Army was where I learnt some painful lessons, not all helpful, but lessons none the less.

Always metaphorically tip my hat to those rents who try their damnedest to make sure their kids turn out decent humans though.

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 6:43 Quote
RelapsedMandalorian wrote:
PACNW-MTB wrote:

Sadly not, my parents were and still are horrific humans. The Army was where I learnt some painful lessons, not all helpful, but lessons none the less.

Always metaphorically tip my hat to those rents who try their damnedest to make sure their kids turn out decent humans though.

My dad was a quiet man but when he spoke he was very wise and people would listen. My mom is indeed from another generation where homosexuality is barely understood and accepted, she is not computing what is happening with my 2 youngest right now and I am not going to tell her she has to since she is 73 so she is not going to change.

Yeah inflation, economic recession it's happening.

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 6:53 Quote
ATV25 wrote:
Thanks for the sentiment adm. It's kind of a blessing in disguise, taught me to deal with a lot of stuff that most people struggle with later in life. Silver linings right, that's what I tell myself LOL

yes...those silver linings. Wink My heart goes out to you ATV. Hearing your story gave me that little jab in the ribs reminding me of the time I pissed away with mine when I was younger because I was a f**king idiot. Facepalm Not a 'woe is me' jab...but one that makes you think for a split second about your journey through life, regrets, and what you're doing today to reduce the amount of regrets as you get older, and appreciating what you have today.
Not living in the past....f*ck the past....how are you living today..?

Gotta call mom this weekend. She doesn't call me because (insert any number of reasons here). She won't ask how I'm doing...which is fine....but she'll send me pictures of her cat. tup

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 6:57 Quote
So this happened.

photo

Wife's water broke thrusday afternoon while I was out working. Left the machine on a sidewalk and rushed home. 3 hours later boy and girl were here. Everyone is healthy and happy including wife.

Slept about 45mins over the last 2 days. We have mother in law going to stay at our house tonight when we go home just to try and get a little bit of sleep.

Pretty rad overall.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.048345
Mobile Version of Website