Old Riders....But not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Old Riders....But not "Old School"
Author Message
Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 4:18 Quote
cool your family is so close around you swan. Mine are not, but my in-laws are like half a mile from us so that makes it nice when you need that support.

cats are awesome....we have three.

feel for you on the situation Swan. My wife and I took in a few strays over the years and the losses were tough to swallow. One we lost very young (Joey), but the first stray (TJ) was with us for a very long time. We've hissed, we've chased each other through the house, we've clawed through the one and only waterbed I ever had at like 2am on a work night, we've batted fake mice back and forth, and playfully sparred with each other. They helped me through some shaky times.

I'm saddened that you are facing this right now.

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 11:13 Quote
OMG. I'm telling you I'm gonna get fired. I'm using every damn sane fiber in my body to not tell these people they're f*cking up.


Excuse me sir.... you are not doing your job and that is making it difficult to do mine. Oh some one way up the food chain told you to do that.... oh well either you didn't properly communicate wtf it is you're doing or that person is also wrong.

How the hell am I suppose to tell someone like 5 steps up the latter from me that they're wrong.

Excuse me sir. I know you get stock options and you make 5 times what I make... but this is my area of expertise and what's happening right here is wrong.

k thanks... where can I collect my final check and drop off my laptop?

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 12:32 Quote
thinking graphic design isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder? can someone actually be "wrong"?

Less than 37 lb 16.8gk Incredibly fast

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
All the loving comforting vibes to the fur friend swan

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 13:33 Quote
Turns out it was higher up the chain than I thought. Yeah.

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 13:41 Quote
guess I can take this off my calendar for today Big Grin

Swan - c-section - twins

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 13:47 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
OMG. I'm telling you I'm gonna get fired. I'm using every damn sane fiber in my body to not tell these people they're f*cking up.


Excuse me sir.... you are not doing your job and that is making it difficult to do mine. Oh some one way up the food chain told you to do that.... oh well either you didn't properly communicate wtf it is you're doing or that person is also wrong.

How the hell am I suppose to tell someone like 5 steps up the latter from me that they're wrong.

Excuse me sir. I know you get stock options and you make 5 times what I make... but this is my area of expertise and what's happening right here is wrong.

k thanks... where can I collect my final check and drop off my laptop?

I usually just start climbing rungs and hit 'em between the eyes... lol

All kidding aside, you can always approach them and ask them if they'd be available to discuss the process. Ask if you are understanding the direction properly so as not to appear accusatory. Learning phase Wink

This will either educate you that the chain is broken elsewhere (lower) or confirm your suspicions (top end issue). Ask if they would mind some feedback, and if they accept, then detail briefly what you see cascading downstream and the concerns/issues it creates. I would come prepared to offer solutions.

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 14:01 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
OMG. I'm telling you I'm gonna get fired. I'm using every damn sane fiber in my body to not tell these people they're f*cking up.


Excuse me sir.... you are not doing your job and that is making it difficult to do mine. Oh some one way up the food chain told you to do that.... oh well either you didn't properly communicate wtf it is you're doing or that person is also wrong.

How the hell am I suppose to tell someone like 5 steps up the latter from me that they're wrong.

Excuse me sir. I know you get stock options and you make 5 times what I make... but this is my area of expertise and what's happening right here is wrong.

k thanks... where can I collect my final check and drop off my laptop?
This depends entirely upon your local corporate culture but, I'd just tell 'em... one perk of working here is your 'level' really doesn't mean shit apart from paygrade and general chain of command, people are actively encouraged to "disagree and commit" irrespective of your position.

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 14:15 Quote
adm750 wrote:
guess I can take this off my calendar for today Big Grin

Swan - c-section - twins

They were paroled ahead of the hearing. Clear to remove.

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 15:07 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
OMG. I'm telling you I'm gonna get fired. I'm using every damn sane fiber in my body to not tell these people they're f*cking up.


Excuse me sir.... you are not doing your job and that is making it difficult to do mine. Oh some one way up the food chain told you to do that.... oh well either you didn't properly communicate wtf it is you're doing or that person is also wrong.

How the hell am I suppose to tell someone like 5 steps up the latter from me that they're wrong.


Excuse me sir. I know you get stock options and you make 5 times what I make... but this is my area of expertise and what's happening right here is wrong.

k thanks... where can I collect my final check and drop off my laptop?

show them.
whatever it is that you are being directed to reproduce, consider it a hill. is the hill worth dying on? if so, do it your way and do it their way. the extra time might pay off, and its fun to MAKE something that, in its sheer existence, proves another persons stupid ideas wrong.

another social coping strategy that i have found recently effective- is to use the scientific inquiry approach to solving an issue. by observing a problem, proposing some ideas to solve it, and explore the ideas objectively can provide some positive results. especially when its founded around a disagreement.
i think its this way
i think its that way
by testing both ideas, paying close attention to observing the process, the truth can come out, or more often than not, the argument shows that the other person lacks the ability to be objective and has an emotional attachment to whatever it is thats causing the discontent.

a wise man once said, if they are hysterical the reason is likely historical.

meandering thoughts, hope theres a nugget somewhere.

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 15:08 Quote
husstler wrote:
adm750 wrote:
guess I can take this off my calendar for today Big Grin

Swan - c-section - twins

They were paroled ahead of the hearing. Clear to remove.

They decided it was time to come out on their own last Thursday

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 15:11 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
This depends entirely upon your local corporate culture but, I'd just tell 'em... one perk of working here is your 'level' really doesn't mean shit apart from paygrade and general chain of command, people are actively encouraged to "disagree and commit" irrespective of your position.

I have junior engineers telling me what's up all the time. Often they are even right. Similarly, I don't care about levels and things when discussing my concerns.

Lots of it is in how it is done. If it is a genuine concern and not arrogance that's one thing..

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 15:12 Quote
swan3609 wrote:
husstler wrote:
adm750 wrote:
guess I can take this off my calendar for today Big Grin

Swan - c-section - twins

They were paroled ahead of the hearing. Clear to remove.

They decided it was time to come out on their own last Thursday

No respect for mom's vagina. Mine same way.

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 17:46 Quote
Axxe wrote:
badbadleroybrown wrote:
This depends entirely upon your local corporate culture but, I'd just tell 'em... one perk of working here is your 'level' really doesn't mean shit apart from paygrade and general chain of command, people are actively encouraged to "disagree and commit" irrespective of your position.

I have junior engineers telling me what's up all the time. Often they are even right. Similarly, I don't care about levels and things when discussing my concerns.

Lots of it is in how it is done. If it is a genuine concern and not arrogance that's one thing..

I don't mind one of my guys making a suggestion, if it is applicable I'll tell them to give it a shot if it doesn't work so be it. The owner doesn't see it that way. LOL

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 17:59 Quote
I always like it when the Jr Techs are thinking outside of the box enough to have new ideas. I generally try to encourage it and work with them. It’s a breath of fresh air.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022935
Mobile Version of Website